JAY Mingi scored a dramatic stoppage-time winner as Colchester United claimed a vital 2-1 home victory over Newport County this afternoon.

Mingi struck in the second minute of stoppage time, latching onto Harry Anderson's pass in the area and lifting a shot high into the roof of the net to seal a first home win for the Cowley brothers.

Ellis Iandolo's first-ever U's goal had earlier levelled things up for the hosts, after they had fallen behind to Offrande Zanzala's first-half strike.

Colchester made one change to their starting line-up, with John Akinde recalled up front in place of Tom Hopper, who was on the bench.

The home side started well with the wind behind them in the first half and were the dominant side, in the first half.

After a scrappy opening, Colchester began to look increasingly dangerous and they came agonisingly close to scoring in the 24th minute when Alistair Smith’s powerful effort shook the underside of the bar and Bradley Ihionvien headed the rebound over.

The U’s went very close to scoring again, five minutes later.


Newport goalkeeper Nick Townsend made a brave save at the feet of Akinde, after Ihionvien had picked him out brilliantly on the edge of the six-yard box.

But Colchester fell behind against the run of play in the 42nd minute when Offrande Zanzala capitalised on a mistake by Connor Hall to shoot home first time from the edge of the area, following Matt Baker’s long ball forward.

It meant the U’s went in at the break behind and needing a big second-half performance to turn things around.

Colchester felt they should have had a penalty when Harry Anderson tumbled under Kyle Jameson's challenge in the area but referee Sunny Gill waved away the claims.

Gazette: Ellis Iandolo

Samson Tovide and Ellis Iandolo were sent on just before the hour as Colchester tried to find a breakthrough and Townsend made a superb reaction save to push Akinde's shot over for a corner.

And a minute later, the Newport goalkeeper made another excellent stop to push Smith's low effort around the post for a corner.

But Colchester eventually grabbed a deserved equaliser in the 75th minute when substitute Iandolo netted at the far post from two yards for his first U's goal, following Cameron McGeehan's corner.

Colchester goalkeeper Owen Goodman made a fine stop to deny substitute Seb Palmer-Holden while at the other end, substitute Noah Chilvers' effort was cleared off the line by Matt Baker.

But after Mingi was released by Anderson in the area, he lifted the ball into the roof of the net to win it for Colchester.

MATCH FACTS: COLCHESTER UNITED: Goodman, Hall, Dallison (sub Iandolo, 55), Mingi, Read, Smith (sub Chilvers, 72), Fevrier (sub Kelleher, 90), Anderson, McGeehan, Akinde (sub Hopper, 72), Ihionvien (sub Tovide, 56).

Subs (not used): Jay, Hornby.

Newport County: Townsend, Payne, Morris, Bennett, Charsley, Jameson, Wildig (sub Waite, 67), Baker, Bondswell (sub Bright, 74), Evans, Zanzala (sub Palmer-Houlden, 67).

Subs (not used): Rai, Maxted, Jephcott, Sanca.

Goals: Colchester: Mingi (90), Iandolo (75). Newport: Zanzala (42).

Bookings: Colchester: Tovide (foul, 85). Newport: Payne (unsporting behaviour, 73), Waite (foul, 82).

Red card: None.

Referee: Sunny Gill.

Attendance: 4,308 (237 Newport fans).