COLCHESTER United slumped to a fourth successive league defeat this afternoon after losing 2-1 at home to Crawley Town.

Joe Taylor's goal deep into stoppage time could not prevent the hosts from falling to defeat, after Crawley had gone 2-0 up through Liam Kelly and Danilo Orsi.

It was another depressing home defeat for the U's, who were once again found wanting in both areas to slump to another loss, at the JobServe Community Stadium.

Colchester's fans made their feelings known during the match and after the game, after seeing their side fall to a miserable defeat.

Colchester boss Matty Etherington has made three changes to his starting line-up from the EFL Trophy defeat to West Ham United under-21s in midweek, with Owen Goodman, Cameron McGeehan and Joe Taylor in for Tom Smith, Gene Kennedy and Bradley Ihionvien.


Matt Jay was handed his first league since April.

Colchester made a bright start and should have gone ahead in the third minute.

Samson Tovide could only direct a shot wide from inside the six-yard box, after Joe Taylor had got behind the Crawley defence and delivered a low cross.

Arthur Read’s 25-yard free-kick sailed inches over the bar and onto the roof of the net while soon after, Tovide hooked wide in front of goal from Will Greenidge’s delivery into the six-yard box.

But Crawley missed a gilt-edged chance at the other end when Liam Kelly scuffed a great chance wide for the visitors, after Kellan Gordon had done well to get down the right and cross.

And soon after, Kelly hooked over the bar from close range after Colchester had allowed the visitors to work the ball in their area.

Will Greenidge hooked wide at the near post from Jay's corner while at the other end, Mandela Egbo made a timely last-ditch challenge in front of goal to put Kelly off his stride, after a long punt forward by goalkeeper Luca Ashby-Hammond had sent him clear of the U's defence.

And Colchester fell behind in the 41st minute when Kelly’s low shot from Will Wright’s shot pass beat Goodman, inside his near post.


The U's went in trailing at the break but made a bright start to the second half.

However, they lost Tovide to injury in the 54th minute, with Akinde coming on to replace him, against one of his former clubs.

Akinde almost equalised when his deflected shot came back off the foot of a post but Crawley doubled their lead in the 64th minute when Danilo Orsi converted from the spot, after Nick Tsaroulla had been fouled by Arthur Read in the area.

Goodman parried away Wright's fierce effort late on and although Taylor reduced the deficit in the seventh minute of stoppage time when he lifted the ball past Luca Ashby-Hammond from Goodman's long clearance, it was not enough to avert defeat.

MATCH FACTS: COLCHESTER UNITED: Goodman, Greenidge (sub Chilvers, 77), Kelleher, Mitchell, Egbo, McGeehan, Read, Jay (sub Cooper, 77), Fevrier, Taylor, Tovide (sub Akinde, 54).

Substitutes (not used): Terry, Bandeira, Hopper, Smith.

Crawley Town: Ashby-Hammond, Gordon (sub Forster, 67; sub Simon-Swyer, 88), Conroy, Wright, Kelly (sub Lolos, 71), Maguire, Gladwin, Orsi, Tsaroulla (sub Darcy, 67), Williams, Campbell (sub Adeyemo, 71).

Subs (not used): Johnson, Addai.

Goals: Colchester: Taylor (90). Crawley: Kelly (41), Orsi (64).

Bookings: Colchester: McGeehan (foul, 19), Fevrier (foul, 44). Crawley: Kelly (foul, 45), Maguire (foul, 67).

Referee: James Durkin.

Attendance: 3,187 (257 Crawley fans).