Colchester United winger Callum Harriott on injury picked up at Salford City

CALLUM Harriott is hoping he is not set for a spell on the sidelines after being forced out of Colchester United's win at Salford City.

Harriott limped away from Moor Lane and onto the U's team coach after their 2-1 win, after being forced off with an Achilles injury with 17 minutes to go.

The 25-year-old fell victim to a heavy challenge from Salford defender Ibou Touray, who was duly booked.

It left Harriott in pain after the game but he is hoping he will be fit for the U’s game with Cheltenham Town, this weekend.

Harriott said: “It was a bit of a dirty one.

“I kind of didn’t expect it really but it’s happened and there’s nothing that I can do about it.

“The ref made his decision so I now have to quickly fix this and get right for the next game.

“I’m hoping I’ll be OK (for Cheltenham) – otherwise I’ll have to make it right!

“When I went off injured, I went inside (the changing room) and heard that there was nine minutes of stoppage time added.

“I was thinking ‘what could happen here’ but the boys dug in and got the result.”

Harriott has revealed Colchester’s players were fired up to get a victory at Salford after suffering back-to-back defeats.

The U’s got back to winning ways in League Two, with Harriott scored a superb goal to double their advantage after Kwame Poku had given them the lead.

And although Fleetwood loanee Ash Hunter pulled a goal back for the Ammies, it was not enough to prevent the U’s from claiming victory to boost their promotion hopes.

Harriott said: “There was definitely an extra motivation (after losing at Port Vale).

“Nobody likes to lose two games on the bounce so we dug in to make it right.

“We had a disappointing result in our last game (at Port Vale) and we knew we had to fix things quickly, if we want to go up.

“The training throughout the week was good.

“We started well in the first half despite the conditions and we played well.

“It wasn’t easy out there; there were times when you’d pass the ball and it just stopped.

“Things like that kill you, if you want to counter attack but I thought the boys handled it well and we took control, in the first half.

“The second half was a bit scrappy but sometimes they get like that in these away games and the boys dug in.

“Credit where it’s due, so fair play to the defence.

“Omar (Sowunmi) has come in at centre-half and cleared one off the line, which has kept us in the game.

“It’s a massive win for us.

“The next game is at home (against Cheltenham) and it’s a real confidence boost for everyone, even the boys who have come in and not played in a while.”

Harriott scored what proved to be the decisive goal in the game, a fine low strike that flew into the far bottom corner for his third goal of the season.

He added: “I knew from previously when I’d got in the pocket that there was a chance to do something.

"I thought that if I could get in there again maybe I’ll have a chance to shoot, which I did and thankfully it went in."