COLCHESTER United suffered back-to-back defeats for the first time this season after losing 1-0 at home to bottom club Morecambe this afternoon.

Cole Stockton's header midway through the second half was enough to give the Shrimps all three points and their first-ever win over the U's, on a disappointing day for the hosts at the JobServe Community Stadium.

It was Morecambe's first win in 13 league and cup matches and it was a lethargic display by Colchester, who failed to do enough to claim something from the match.

Colchester head coach John McGreal made two changes to his starting line-up for their game against Morecambe.

There was a surprise name in the team, with winger Callum Harriott handed his first start for the U’s in League Two since returning to them on a free transfer, last month.

Cohen Bramall was recalled at left-back in place of Ryan Clampin, who was on the bench but there was no place in the 18 for Brandon Comley who was on international duty with Montserrat last week.

Colchester struggled to break down a well-organised Morecambe defence in the first half.

The closest they came to scoring in the opening period was when Frank Nouble latched onto a long pass and nutmegged a defender before blasting in a shot which goalkeeper Barry Roach parried away for a corner at his near post.

The U’s got into some decent attacking positions but too often, their final ball was either the wrong choice or poorly executed.

Morecambe had their moments, with Cole Stockton shooting straight at Gerken for the visitors after George Tanner had picked him out in the area.

And 11 minutes before the break, Gerken made a fine save to push Lewis Alessandra’s fierce close-range effort over for a corner.

The sides went in level at the break but it was the visitors who started the second half the brightest.

The U's almost fell behind five minutes after the break when Tom Brewitt’s far-post header from Lewis Alessandra’s deep corner was well saved by Gerken for a corner.

And the Colchester goalkeeper was called into action again soon after to push away Cole Stockton's powerful long-range drive, as Morecambe threatened.

It prompted boss McGreal to make his firat change of the game just before the hour mark, sending on Luke Norris for Theo Robinson in a bid to find a breakthrough.

Courtney Senior quickly followed off the bench for Harriott but Colchester fell behind in the 66th minute when Stockton stooped to head home Alessandra's corner from close range.

Alessandra sliced a shot wide at the near post soon after, as the visitors searched for more goals.

Colchester came close to an equaliser with nine minutes remaining when Senior ran at the Morecambe defence before unleashing a shot that Roche pushed away for a corner.

But although the U's pressed in the closing stages, they were unable to muster an equaliser to suffer their first home loss since August.