COLCHESTER United surrendered their four-game league unbeaten run after losing 2-1 to Crawley Town at a rain-sodden Broadfield Stadium this afternoon.

The U's had led at half-time thanks to a headed first-half goal from skipper Luke Prosser.

But Reece Grego-Cox's fine strike from the edge of the area early in the second half saw the hosts level things up.

And Mason Bloomfield powered home a header for the Reds with ten minutes remaining, to secure the hosts all three points in front of 418 U's fans.

It was a disappointing second-half display by Colchester, particularly as they had looked in control at half-time having gone in at the break ahead.

U’s boss John McGreal made four changes to his starting line-up for their game against Crawley.

Ryan Clampin, Brendan Wiredu, Courtney Senior and Tom Lapslie were all recalled to the U’s starting line-up.

They came in for Cohen Bramall, Ben Stevenson and Luke Norris who were all on the bench and Brandon Comley, who was away on international duty for Montserrat.

Crawley registered the first effort on goal in the second minute through former Colchester youngster Tarryn Allarakhia, who drove at the U’s defence before unleashing a low 25-yard effort that sailed wide.

The U’s enjoyed the greater share of possession in the opening stages but neither side looked particularly threatening in the opening quarter of the game.

As the half wore on though, Colchester looked a more vibrant force in attack and begun to ask questions of the Crawley defence.

Brendan Wiredu, who was particularly impressive in the first half, sliced a difficult chance wide in the 26th minute from close range after Frank Nouble's deflected effort had bounced into his path.

And Charlton Athletic loanee Wiredu then drove towards the Crawley goal before forcing a corner, as the U’s began to look menacing.

Just after the half-hour mark they forced a succession of corners and it was from one such set-piece that they made the breakthrough.

Kwame Poku floated a precise corner into the six-yard box and skipper Prosser glanced a header home from close range, for his first goal of the season.

Colchester looked the more likely of the two sides to score the game’s next goal and went in at the break ahead.

However, Crawley started the second half brightly and immediately went on the attack.

Grego-Cox headed Nathan Ferguson’s free-kick just wide just after the break.

And a few minutes later, Grego-Cox's low shot was saved low down at his near post by Gerken, as Crawley pressed.

Senior had a weak shot saved by Reds keeper Glenn Morris but Crawley continued to press and equalised ten minutes into the second half through Grego-Cox, who unleashed a rocket of a shot from the edge of the area that flew past Dean Gerken and into his far post.

Crawley continued to threaten after the equaliser and almost went ahead with 17 minutes remaining when substitute Ashley Nathaniel-George's deflected effort glanced off the base of the far post, before sailing away for a corner.

Josh Doherty's long-range strike sailed straight at Gerken before Colchester fell behind with ten minutes to go after Bloomfield powered home a close-range header from Young's accurate delivery from the right.

It left Colchester with little time to muster an equaliser and Crawley almost added a third in stoppage-time when Bez Lubala's long-range effort rattled the post, as the visitors fell to defeat.