COLCHESTER United made it back to back wins in League Two after claiming a 1-0 win at Oldham Athletic this afternoon.

Frank Nouble's well-taken strike just before half-time proved enough to give the U's all three points at Boundary Park and help them complete an excellent week on a high.

It was a well-drilled away performance by Colchester, who defended well throughout to register a first league away of the season and a third successive clean sheet in all competitions.

And their final margin of victory might have been greater had debutant Theo Robinson's effort not clattered the bar, seconds after he had come on as a substitute for Luke Gambin.

Colchester head coach John McGreal stuck with the same side that started their Carabao Cup win at Crystal Palace.

That meant Luke Gambin kept his place in attack, with Jevani Brown on the bench again.

New signing Theo Robinson was among the substitutes, after signing on loan from Southend United until January.

Tom Eastman was called upon in the opening stages to make a fine block in the area to deny Mohammed Maouche’s fierce shot.

And at the other end, Luke Norris's mis-hit shot runs tamely to keeper Gary Woods after Frank Nouble had flicked on Ryan Jackson's long throw.

Midway through the first half, Dylan Fage drilled the ball dangerously across the U's six yard box after being fed by Maouche with no Oldham player there to convert.

And just before the half hour, U’s keeper Dean Gerken was out bravely to meet Scott Wilson and parry brilliantly at his feet in the area after the U's defence was opened up.

Oldham looked threatening on occasions, with Wilson’s optimistic effort from nearly 30 yards flying over the bar.

But Colchester finished the first half strongly and keeper Woods was out quickly to deny Courtney Senior on the edge of his own area after Frank Nouble’s fine pass, with Norris sending the rebound onto the roof of the net from 20 yards.

And although Maouche’s header flashed inches over the bar for the hosts, Colchester grabbed a precious lead just before the interval.

Nouble latched onto Luke Norris's pass and broke clear of the Oldham defence before calmly slotting low past keeper Woods, to give the U’s the advantage going into the break.

Ben Stevenson’s curled effort from the edge of the area deflected just wide for a corner in the early stages of the second half, as Colchester looked to double their lead.

And soon after, Clampin's left-foot effort curled just wide of the far post, from 25 yards.

Oldham made two quick substitutions in quick succession midway through the second half, as they looked to find a route back into the contest.

And the Latics almost equalised with 20 minutes remaining when Missilou headed over from Tom Hamer's long throw.

And they came even closer soon after when Gerken made a fine flying save to push away Fage's fierce long-range effort for a corner.

Colchester sent on striker Theo Robinson for his U's debut with 16 minutes remaining in place of Gambin, as they looked to close out victory.

And the Southend United loanee almost made an immediate impact when seconds later, he clattered the bar with one of his first touches after coming on after Senior had picked him out in the area, with Woods parrying Norris's rebound effort.

Oldham were still in the game with the score at 1-0 and the lively Maouche glanced a header wide from a good position, with ten minutes remaining.

But Colchester saw the game out well to secure another three points.