A FORMER Colchester United defender was on target for MALDON AND TIPTREE in their thumping win over Romford, in what was a great day for all of the Gazette’s Bostik League division north sides.

But it was Eddie Dsane who grabbed the headlines with a hat-trick in the Jammers’ 4-1 triumph, at Park Drive.

Former Crystal Palace and Preston North End attacker Dsane, who joined Maldon last week, scored twice in the opening 27 minutes for Maldon, to put them firmly in control at half-time.

Ex-U’s left-back Matthew Briggs made it 3-0 just before the hour.

And although George Forrest pulled a goal back for the visitors midway through the second half, Dsane scored again in the 90th minute to wrap up his hat-trick and seal a big win for Wayne Brown’s side.

The win keeps Maldon fourth in the table, four points off leaders Aveley.

HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS moved into the play-off places and one place below their neighbours following an excellent 1-0 win at Grays Athletic, a victory that helped them leapfrog their hosts in the table.

A Stanley Muguo own goal midway through the first half proved enough to give Julian Dicks’ side all three points against the Essex neighbours, who had Adalberto Pinto sent off just before half-time.

WITHAM TOWN gave their survival hopes a huge boost following an impressive 2-0 home triumph over play-off hopefuls AFC Sudbury.

John Watson gave bottom club Town the lead after 17 minutes, at Spa Road.

And after Phil Kelly’s red card had left the visitors down to ten men, Watson scored again with 17 minutes remaining to secure a big three points for Mark Ashford’s side, who recorded only their second league victory of the campaign.

It was also a first league clean sheet of the season for Town.

Watson tweeted: Haha. Happy to get the win. Thanks for the fans for coming and supporting us. Been a difficult start to the season but hopefully we will build on this now and kick on.

COGGESHALL TOWN claimed a 1-0 win at their play-off rivals Basildon United, to stay third in the table.

Correy Davidson bagged their winner just after the half-hour mark and they held on to claim three valuable points on the road.