COLCHESTER United are running the rule over former Spurs and Huddersfield Town academy player Hakeem Sandah.

The 18-year-old attacking midfielder featured in the U's under-21 defeat at Bristol City this afternoon, scoring their opening goal in a 4-2 defeat.

Sandah was released by Huddersfield at the end of last season having spent two years in the Terriers' youth set-up, after joining them from the Spurs academy in 2021.

Sandah had a trial with Blackburn Rovers, earlier this year.

READ MORE: Jayden Fevrier looking forward to his West Ham United reunion

In the Professional Development 2 match against Bristol City at the Robins High Performance Centre, the U's youngsters fell behind early on following a goal by Marlee Francois, who headed in from a cross by the trialist.

But Colchester were level on 17 minutes as Sandah received the ball 25 yards out and fired a shot into the top corner.

Then Jed Meerhotz found Callum Hutton but his effort drifted wide.

Churchley then broke down the left before cutting it back to Meerhotz who forced a good save from Colchester goalkeeper, Harrison Chamberlain.

Anderson’s ball in found the trialist but his effort went wide.

Gazette: Kaan Bennett

There was then a lengthy break due to an injury to the referee.

A total of nine minutes overtime was played at the end of the half as Chamberlain lost the ball outside his area but managed to block the ball with an outstretched leg.

City made two changes at the break as Churchley and Zak Bell were replaced by Raekwan Nelson and Marley Rose.

Colchester then took the lead through Kaan Bennett, who latched onto Donell Thomas's through pass and fired past Bajic.

The U's came a lick of paint away from making it 3-1 when Thomas dribbled the ball into the box and curled the ball towards goal but saw it smash against a post and cannon away.

However the hosts' response was good as they scored twice in in ten minutes to lead.

READ MORE: Matty Etherington aims to strike the right balance against West Ham under-21s

First Dylan Kadji made it 2-2 on the hour mark, before Francois made it 3-2 with a 30-yard strike, after some neat footwork.

City trialist A was replaced by Joseph James and the U’s hopes seemed over with four minutes of normal time remaining when a back pass by a visiting defender eluded his own keeper and went in for an own goal.

There was nearly a hat-trick for Francois before the end but his shot was cleared off the line, as the U's were beaten.