COLCHESTER United travel to play Scunthorpe United in a League Two basement battle, this weekend.

Both teams need the points to boost their hopes of avoiding relegation.

While the U's lie five points above the drop zone, their hosts' situation is far more perilous.

The Iron currently prop up the rest of the table and are nine points adrift of safety.

Nevertheless, Scunthorpe still have a chance of avoiding relegation - unlike when they met Colchester on the final day of the season at Glanford Park back on May 4, 2008.

On that occasion, both teams had already been relegated from the Championship, back to League One.

But as the curtain came down on the 2007-08 season, they bid farewell to the second tier with a barnstorming game where six goals were shared in a thrilling 3-3 draw.

Kevin McLeod headed in Kevin Lisbie's cross in the tenth minute to give Colchester the lead but Jonathan Forte equalised five minutes later.

Colchester started the second half explosively with Scott Vernon's spectacular effort restoring their lead in the opening minute of the second half and McLeod then chipping in a minute later for 3-1.

But Paul Hayes pulled a goal back for the Iron midway through the second half.

And with eight minutes to go, Hayes capitalised on a mistake by Matt Heath to round Dean Gerken and tap in to give his side a share of the spoils.


Colchester manager Geraint Williams was in reflective mood, after the game.

He said: "I thought going forward we were fantastic and we looked very dangerous and scored three very good goals but we conceded three very bad ones.

"I think the players applied themselves well but that goes for the whole season.

"We haven't finished where we are because of a lack of effort - it's because we haven't been good enough.

"The effort and the application has been there right until the very last moment."

Colchester finished their second-ever season in the Championship in 24th place, 15 points adrift of safety.

Scunthorpe finished a place above them in 23rd, eight points above the U's.

Leicester City were the third and final team to be relegated from the Championship, that season.

"This has been a terrific season for us and we have given it our best shot," said Scunthorpe manager Nigel Adkins after the 3-3 draw.

"My players have shown commitment right the way through the campaign and they did it again today when trailing 3-1.

"We are a small club with small resources but there is no shortage of ambition to bounce straight back."

Line-ups: Colchester United: 1. Dean Gerken, 2. Phil Ifil, 3. Béla Balogh, 4. Matt Heath, 5. John White, 6. Karl Duguid, 7. Kem Izzet, 8. Johnnie Jackson, 9. Kevin McLeod, 10. Kevin Lisbie, 11. Scott Vernon. Subs: 12. Medy Elito, 13. Clive Platt, 14. Mark Cousins, 15. Anthony Wordsworth, 16. James Hammond.

Scunthorpe United: 1. Joe Murphy, 2. Cliff Byrne, 3. Izzy Iriekpen, 4. Andy Butler, 5. Marcus Williams, 6. Jonathan Forte, 7. Jack Cork, 8. Matt Sparrow, 9. Ian Morris, 10. Ben May, 11. Paul Hayes. Subs: 12. Peter Winn, 13. Grant McCann, 14. Josh Lillis, 15. Jack Hobbs, 16. Jake Picton.

Referee: R Booth.

Attendance: 5,554.