BARROW say there is 'insufficient evidence' to press any criminal charges after Colchester United goalkeeper Shamal George suffered alleged racist abuse in last month's game at the Dunes Hotel Stadium.

A complaint of racist abuse coming from behind the goal in the home end, directed towards U's keeper George, was made by the U's in the first half of their 3-2 victory in the League Two encounter, on September 10.

After referee Simon Mather temporarily halted the game after the abuse was reported it was formally announced by the Barrow PA system, with the message also declaring that such behaviour will not be tolerated and that any racism should be reported.

George went on to play his part in helping Colchester claim a 3-2 victory.

He wrote on Twitter afterwards: 'This team What a big win that is +3 Hope the racists enjoyed that one.'

Barrow have fully investigated the alleged incident, with one suspect interviewed under caution. However, the Cumbria-based club say there 'insufficient evidence to progress the matter criminally'.

But in a statement issued this morning, Barrow chief executive Levi Gil says the club continue to seek information relating to the incident and will be distributing information cards at one of their future games, explaining to fans the best ways to report any future racist abuse.


In a statement, Barrow chief executive Levi Gill said: “I’m conscious that the Club hasn’t provided an update on the recent allegation of racist abuse aimed at Colchester United’s goalkeeper. The reason for this isn’t anything sinister.

“We were simply keen to bring the process to a conclusion before there was a further update, and we also wanted to be respectful of an ongoing police enquiry. I’m now in a position to bring fans up to date.

“Firstly, I’d like to thank Rickie Wallbank, our Police Liaison Officer, and also Mike Forsyth and the match day stewarding team for their response to the incident on the night. We were able to collect statements from stewards and consult the Club’s CCTV footage, which was all very helpful to Rickie’s investigation.

“I’d also like to thank the people who came forward with information in response to the Club’s public appeal. Unfortunately, some of the anonymous information received was conflicting and, while CCTV footage shows clearly who is stood in a particular area of the ground, it can’t show ‘who said what’.

“One suspect was interviewed under caution but, ultimately, the conclusion of the police investigation was that there was insufficient evidence to progress the matter criminally. Having discussed the findings of the investigation with Rickie Wallbank, the owners and I also felt that there wasn’t enough certainty around who was responsible for us to issue a ban and potentially penalise an innocent party. We have therefore been unable to take further action on this occasion.

“This should not, however, be taken as a sign that the Club condones this kind of behaviour or that we don’t believe that the abuse occurred. There has been debate among the fan base about whether the report was a result of players misunderstanding a fan song.

“I can assure everybody that, having heard the complaint and read some of the witness information, this is not what has happened. I’m convinced that the abuse occurred and, with the backing of the Club’s owners, will take the strongest possible action against anybody proven to be responsible either for this incident or any similar future cases.

“This behaviour is completely contrary to what this Club stands for and cannot be tolerated in modern society. The Club continues to ask for information relating to the incident against Colchester United and encourages fans to report any future incidents to a steward or Club official.

“We will be handing out information cards at the point of entry to our next Saturday game, explaining to fans the best ways to report racist abuse in the future.”