Dunne praises U's for second-half response at Wolves

Gazette: Dunne praises U's for second-half response at Wolves Dunne praises U's for second-half response at Wolves

Joe Dunne paid tribute to his Colchester United players after a stirring second-half display almost salvaged them a draw at leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers, following their 4-2 defeat.

The U's trailed 3-0 at Molineux at half-time but first-ever Colchester goals from Alex Gilbey and David Wright got them right back into the contest.

Substitute Freddie Sears came tantalisingly close to equalising with four minutes to go when his shot came back off the inside of the post, before substitute Nouha Dicko wrapped up the points for Wolves in stoppage-time.

Dunne said: "I have to pay great credit to the players.

"It was a brave response in the second half and they really dug deep and showed great character.

"Freddie Sears hit the post to make it 3-3 and we were going for it at the end and left ourselves exposed at the back.

"I think 4-2 is probably harsh - I know they had a lot of chances but it's not my fault they missed them.

"You can do all of the preparation and motivational talks you want - you can't give a goal away after 50 seconds.

"It was a joke goal and it should have been dealt with.

"It was 2-0 not long after that and at half-time, I just said "listen, they're top of the league for a reason".

"Anybody here in the ground and maybe even some of our fans might have been thinking it would be six but the players have gone out and scored two great goals in the second half.

"They dug in and it gives us great momentum going into Saturday (against Notts County)."

For a full match report and pictures from the U's game at Wolves, see Wednesday's Daily Gazette.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:43pm Tue 25 Mar 14

johnwolf says...

4.2 is a joke result IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN TEN, Colchester are a very; very poor team.
4.2 is a joke result IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN TEN, Colchester are a very; very poor team. johnwolf
  • Score: 28

11:56pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Boris says...

johnwolf wrote:
4.2 is a joke result IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN TEN, Colchester are a very; very poor team.
Yours is a once-great club, you used to be one of the best in the country, supplying several players in the England team, but that was a long time ago. What are you doing down here in League 1? We were never a great club, but we have had our moments, and we are going to survive.
If you really believe it should have been ten, go and argue with your strikers about it, not with us, Mr. Wolf.
Just be grateful that it wasn't 3-3, which it could so easily have been.
Up the U's.
[quote][p][bold]johnwolf[/bold] wrote: 4.2 is a joke result IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN TEN, Colchester are a very; very poor team.[/p][/quote]Yours is a once-great club, you used to be one of the best in the country, supplying several players in the England team, but that was a long time ago. What are you doing down here in League 1? We were never a great club, but we have had our moments, and we are going to survive. If you really believe it should have been ten, go and argue with your strikers about it, not with us, Mr. Wolf. Just be grateful that it wasn't 3-3, which it could so easily have been. Up the U's. Boris
  • Score: 26

1:43am Wed 26 Mar 14

angryman!!! says...

Have a word you fool, it could have easily been 3. See you season after next as your know were near championship level
Have a word you fool, it could have easily been 3. See you season after next as your know were near championship level angryman!!!
  • Score: 22

8:28am Wed 26 Mar 14

down the line says...

johnwolf wrote:
4.2 is a joke result IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN TEN, Colchester are a very; very poor team.
And Wolves are a very poor team considering they was in the premier league only 2 years ago.
[quote][p][bold]johnwolf[/bold] wrote: 4.2 is a joke result IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN TEN, Colchester are a very; very poor team.[/p][/quote]And Wolves are a very poor team considering they was in the premier league only 2 years ago. down the line
  • Score: 21

9:23am Wed 26 Mar 14

totallyfootball says...

I think football is in a bad place right now, Wolves will go back up and stay there, can the same be said for the like of Portsmouth, so should we be happy with our lot even though we should be doing a lot better, we all know what would change that?
I think football is in a bad place right now, Wolves will go back up and stay there, can the same be said for the like of Portsmouth, so should we be happy with our lot even though we should be doing a lot better, we all know what would change that? totallyfootball
  • Score: 15

9:30am Wed 26 Mar 14

BlueandWhiteBaz says...

Perhaps JD will go with 4-4-2 in future instead of playing one up front, because that was the most significant move that changed the game in the second half as it did on Saturday. Our defence was as bad as it's ever been and overall as a team we are just not improving. Johnwolf is correct in as much as we should have been dead and buried at half time. Ten goals is an extreme exaggeration, but we should in all honesty have been 5 or 6 down by half time and game over. Sort it out or get out Mr Dunne because we are still making the same mistakes that we were 12 months ago and I don't call that making progress.
Perhaps JD will go with 4-4-2 in future instead of playing one up front, because that was the most significant move that changed the game in the second half as it did on Saturday. Our defence was as bad as it's ever been and overall as a team we are just not improving. Johnwolf is correct in as much as we should have been dead and buried at half time. Ten goals is an extreme exaggeration, but we should in all honesty have been 5 or 6 down by half time and game over. Sort it out or get out Mr Dunne because we are still making the same mistakes that we were 12 months ago and I don't call that making progress. BlueandWhiteBaz
  • Score: 19

9:40am Wed 26 Mar 14

totallyfootball says...

BlueandWhiteBaz wrote:
Perhaps JD will go with 4-4-2 in future instead of playing one up front, because that was the most significant move that changed the game in the second half as it did on Saturday. Our defence was as bad as it's ever been and overall as a team we are just not improving. Johnwolf is correct in as much as we should have been dead and buried at half time. Ten goals is an extreme exaggeration, but we should in all honesty have been 5 or 6 down by half time and game over. Sort it out or get out Mr Dunne because we are still making the same mistakes that we were 12 months ago and I don't call that making progress.
Agree with your points Baz, nothing has changed in the past year and yet people bang on about the past with pointless facts, this is it for the foreseeable future unless there is a shake up? He never seems to look like he knows what he is doing and its luck most of the time tat we get anything out of a game.
[quote][p][bold]BlueandWhiteBaz[/bold] wrote: Perhaps JD will go with 4-4-2 in future instead of playing one up front, because that was the most significant move that changed the game in the second half as it did on Saturday. Our defence was as bad as it's ever been and overall as a team we are just not improving. Johnwolf is correct in as much as we should have been dead and buried at half time. Ten goals is an extreme exaggeration, but we should in all honesty have been 5 or 6 down by half time and game over. Sort it out or get out Mr Dunne because we are still making the same mistakes that we were 12 months ago and I don't call that making progress.[/p][/quote]Agree with your points Baz, nothing has changed in the past year and yet people bang on about the past with pointless facts, this is it for the foreseeable future unless there is a shake up? He never seems to look like he knows what he is doing and its luck most of the time tat we get anything out of a game. totallyfootball
  • Score: 28

10:19am Wed 26 Mar 14

stevedawson says...

At least we scored twice thats more than man u did against a rest of the world 11 and at old trafford.
At least we scored twice thats more than man u did against a rest of the world 11 and at old trafford. stevedawson
  • Score: 19

10:33am Wed 26 Mar 14

down the line says...

I want to know when Joe Dunne is finally going to twig that we should be playing 4-4-2. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to come to the conclusion that we struggle playing this so called 4-3-3(or 4-5-1). Wake up Dunne and start playing 4-4-2 or better still just resign.
I want to know when Joe Dunne is finally going to twig that we should be playing 4-4-2. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to come to the conclusion that we struggle playing this so called 4-3-3(or 4-5-1). Wake up Dunne and start playing 4-4-2 or better still just resign. down the line
  • Score: 22

1:45pm Wed 26 Mar 14

West Stand United says...

For Dunne to come out and say that the youngsters won't stay if he plays 4-4-2 is utter rubbish. The boys would be happy to play standing on their hands if playing that way got better results and more points under our belts. One up front didn't work for Ward so why has anything changed that Dunne feels this is our best system.

We did well to pull two goals back yesterday but we should not have been in that position in the first place and the sooner Dunne accepts he has to start introducing 4-4-2 into our gameplay the better.
For Dunne to come out and say that the youngsters won't stay if he plays 4-4-2 is utter rubbish. The boys would be happy to play standing on their hands if playing that way got better results and more points under our belts. One up front didn't work for Ward so why has anything changed that Dunne feels this is our best system. We did well to pull two goals back yesterday but we should not have been in that position in the first place and the sooner Dunne accepts he has to start introducing 4-4-2 into our gameplay the better. West Stand United
  • Score: 13

1:45pm Wed 26 Mar 14

Noah4x4 says...

When did we go 4-4-2? Were any of you actually at the game?

At 3-0 and Wolves totally dominant (n.b. when will some ever give credence to us losing to a better team?); I thought it was the right decision to withdraw Jabo to save his energy for Meadow Lane; and similarly later withdraw the hard working Gavin Massey. But what happened was suddenly we had Sammy Szmodics; Alex Gilbey; Freddie Sears; Dominic Vose and even Clinton Morrison playing 4-5-1 exactly as it should be played - neat passing football.

To adopt 4-4-2; that MUST (mathematicially) require the withdrawal of either a midfielder or defender. Any 'width' must then come from at least one full back getting into advanced positions. But last night we didn't see Sesay or Dickson throwing too much caution to the wind as that would probably have got punished (as per the first half where Wolves were ruthless on our few errors). Instead we retained the shape of our back four; and instead witnessed four youthful players; with real pace that can instinctly play this system (was more like 4-2-3-1) having been brought up on the modern passing game favoured by all of the leading Premiership Clubs. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a £2M bid from Wolves for Alex Gilbey after his performance last night. Vose was also awesome.

The average age of the team that finished so strongly against the runaway league leaders (e.g. winning the second half) was merely 25. However; the combined age of Morrison; Magnus; Dickson and Wright is 125. That means the remaining seven had an average age of barely 21. Given that Walker; Eastman; Watt; Massey; Vose; Drey Wright; Bonne (et al) are all youngsters (23 or less); what a bright future the U's must have under Joe Dunne and the Youth Academy that is now producing this home grown talent. It took Parky 141 games to assemble his promotion squad; so let's please have more patience as Joe has had under 80; or is your intent to replicate the foul abuse suffered by Port Vale manager Micky Adams last night who has guided them to promotion and a top half position? The U's have had 27 managers in the last 55 years. Is this why? We now need stability.

Lastly; whilst Carlisle and Shrewsbury gained a point (against each other) and inched towards us given our defeat; that makes no difference to the U's relative position. It is impossible to pick up other than 3, 1, or 0 points from any game (e.g. never five points from two games); so it still means that the U's remain two WINS ahead of the bottom four. This principle is vital to understand the prospects of the U's survival. We only need 1.00 point per remaining game to reach 51 and certain safety; having achived 1.14 so far. Everybody else (bar Coventry) already need more points per game than they have achieved this season and the bottom six now require 50% more.

To get to 51 points and certain safety; the bottom six sides now all need to average better than 1.5 points per remaining game. That requirement alone is 'play off form'. Notts County (2+ per game) now need to replicate Wolves form to catch us. Indeed; whilst mathematically possible; it is statistically unlikely that any of the bottom three can catch us. So we probably only have to be concerned with Crewe; Tranmere and Carlisle.

However; there remain ten fixtures featuring sides below us that DO NOT involve the U's; in which one team MUST drop three points or both MUST drop one. Gaining 1 point when you need an average of + 1.5 means that these hence become 'must win' games between these teams; and there must always be a loser; or if a draw; both MUST slip behind the required average. In essence; whilst we are all trying to outrun a hungry lion (relegation) ; the U's only have to out run the slowest four; and there are EIGHT sides below us doing us a favour by trying to trip the others up! Our current four points and goal difference (effective six points or two win) is massive when fixtures other than those involving the U's are considered.

By contrast; our destiny is totally in our own hands. Take 8 points from 8 games to reach 51 and we are guaranteed safety. However; this is not easy to prove this without reams of data; if we secure just one win and two draws from eight games; we are probably safe with just 48 points;and we still have to play five sides below us (hence in theory weaker teams).

The reason for this is because is that the top five are so far ahead that the average points per game achieved by the remainder has been lower. Wolves are 14 points ahead of where Doncaster were at this same stage last season. Notice then that there is an astonishing 14 point gap between fifth and sixth. Whilst the U's still have to play Brentford; we do not have to play anybody else in the top five; when some of those around us still do; so one would expect them to drop further points. Frankly; if the U's get a point or better against Notts County on Saturday; and then Tranmere and Carlisle only draw with each other (hence both dropping two points); the bottom six will have a massive task to get anywhere close to us.
When did we go 4-4-2? Were any of you actually at the game? At 3-0 and Wolves totally dominant (n.b. when will some ever give credence to us losing to a better team?); I thought it was the right decision to withdraw Jabo to save his energy for Meadow Lane; and similarly later withdraw the hard working Gavin Massey. But what happened was suddenly we had Sammy Szmodics; Alex Gilbey; Freddie Sears; Dominic Vose and even Clinton Morrison playing 4-5-1 exactly as it should be played - neat passing football. To adopt 4-4-2; that MUST (mathematicially) require the withdrawal of either a midfielder or defender. Any 'width' must then come from at least one full back getting into advanced positions. But last night we didn't see Sesay or Dickson throwing too much caution to the wind as that would probably have got punished (as per the first half where Wolves were ruthless on our few errors). Instead we retained the shape of our back four; and instead witnessed four youthful players; with real pace that can instinctly play this system (was more like 4-2-3-1) having been brought up on the modern passing game favoured by all of the leading Premiership Clubs. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a £2M bid from Wolves for Alex Gilbey after his performance last night. Vose was also awesome. The average age of the team that finished so strongly against the runaway league leaders (e.g. winning the second half) was merely 25. However; the combined age of Morrison; Magnus; Dickson and Wright is 125. That means the remaining seven had an average age of barely 21. Given that Walker; Eastman; Watt; Massey; Vose; Drey Wright; Bonne (et al) are all youngsters (23 or less); what a bright future the U's must have under Joe Dunne and the Youth Academy that is now producing this home grown talent. It took Parky 141 games to assemble his promotion squad; so let's please have more patience as Joe has had under 80; or is your intent to replicate the foul abuse suffered by Port Vale manager Micky Adams last night who has guided them to promotion and a top half position? The U's have had 27 managers in the last 55 years. Is this why? We now need stability. Lastly; whilst Carlisle and Shrewsbury gained a point (against each other) and inched towards us given our defeat; that makes no difference to the U's relative position. It is impossible to pick up other than 3, 1, or 0 points from any game (e.g. never five points from two games); so it still means that the U's remain two WINS ahead of the bottom four. This principle is vital to understand the prospects of the U's survival. We only need 1.00 point per remaining game to reach 51 and certain safety; having achived 1.14 so far. Everybody else (bar Coventry) already need more points per game than they have achieved this season and the bottom six now require 50% more. To get to 51 points and certain safety; the bottom six sides now all need to average better than 1.5 points per remaining game. That requirement alone is 'play off form'. Notts County (2+ per game) now need to replicate Wolves form to catch us. Indeed; whilst mathematically possible; it is statistically unlikely that any of the bottom three can catch us. So we probably only have to be concerned with Crewe; Tranmere and Carlisle. However; there remain ten fixtures featuring sides below us that DO NOT involve the U's; in which one team MUST drop three points or both MUST drop one. Gaining 1 point when you need an average of + 1.5 means that these hence become 'must win' games between these teams; and there must always be a loser; or if a draw; both MUST slip behind the required average. In essence; whilst we are all trying to outrun a hungry lion (relegation) ; the U's only have to out run the slowest four; and there are EIGHT sides below us doing us a favour by trying to trip the others up! Our current four points and goal difference (effective six points or two win) is massive when fixtures other than those involving the U's are considered. By contrast; our destiny is totally in our own hands. Take 8 points from 8 games to reach 51 and we are guaranteed safety. However; this is not easy to prove this without reams of data; if we secure just one win and two draws from eight games; we are probably safe with just 48 points;and we still have to play five sides below us (hence in theory weaker teams). The reason for this is because is that the top five are so far ahead that the average points per game achieved by the remainder has been lower. Wolves are 14 points ahead of where Doncaster were at this same stage last season. Notice then that there is an astonishing 14 point gap between fifth and sixth. Whilst the U's still have to play Brentford; we do not have to play anybody else in the top five; when some of those around us still do; so one would expect them to drop further points. Frankly; if the U's get a point or better against Notts County on Saturday; and then Tranmere and Carlisle only draw with each other (hence both dropping two points); the bottom six will have a massive task to get anywhere close to us. Noah4x4
  • Score: -21

2:38pm Wed 26 Mar 14

totallyfootball says...

Another fact packed scribe Noah, you should be in politics. They always tell us how we got somewhere, whose fault it was but can't see clearly enough on how to put it right? There is no sacrifice on 4-4-2 if played right, the most effective and probably popular formation since football began? Your full back if he has any football nouse has to decide when and when not to push on, simple. Only plus for me right now is the side is getting younger, £2m for a player on one showing?
Another fact packed scribe Noah, you should be in politics. They always tell us how we got somewhere, whose fault it was but can't see clearly enough on how to put it right? There is no sacrifice on 4-4-2 if played right, the most effective and probably popular formation since football began? Your full back if he has any football nouse has to decide when and when not to push on, simple. Only plus for me right now is the side is getting younger, £2m for a player on one showing? totallyfootball
  • Score: 10

2:39pm Wed 26 Mar 14

down the line says...

Noah4x4 wrote:
When did we go 4-4-2? Were any of you actually at the game?

At 3-0 and Wolves totally dominant (n.b. when will some ever give credence to us losing to a better team?); I thought it was the right decision to withdraw Jabo to save his energy for Meadow Lane; and similarly later withdraw the hard working Gavin Massey. But what happened was suddenly we had Sammy Szmodics; Alex Gilbey; Freddie Sears; Dominic Vose and even Clinton Morrison playing 4-5-1 exactly as it should be played - neat passing football.

To adopt 4-4-2; that MUST (mathematicially) require the withdrawal of either a midfielder or defender. Any 'width' must then come from at least one full back getting into advanced positions. But last night we didn't see Sesay or Dickson throwing too much caution to the wind as that would probably have got punished (as per the first half where Wolves were ruthless on our few errors). Instead we retained the shape of our back four; and instead witnessed four youthful players; with real pace that can instinctly play this system (was more like 4-2-3-1) having been brought up on the modern passing game favoured by all of the leading Premiership Clubs. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a £2M bid from Wolves for Alex Gilbey after his performance last night. Vose was also awesome.

The average age of the team that finished so strongly against the runaway league leaders (e.g. winning the second half) was merely 25. However; the combined age of Morrison; Magnus; Dickson and Wright is 125. That means the remaining seven had an average age of barely 21. Given that Walker; Eastman; Watt; Massey; Vose; Drey Wright; Bonne (et al) are all youngsters (23 or less); what a bright future the U's must have under Joe Dunne and the Youth Academy that is now producing this home grown talent. It took Parky 141 games to assemble his promotion squad; so let's please have more patience as Joe has had under 80; or is your intent to replicate the foul abuse suffered by Port Vale manager Micky Adams last night who has guided them to promotion and a top half position? The U's have had 27 managers in the last 55 years. Is this why? We now need stability.

Lastly; whilst Carlisle and Shrewsbury gained a point (against each other) and inched towards us given our defeat; that makes no difference to the U's relative position. It is impossible to pick up other than 3, 1, or 0 points from any game (e.g. never five points from two games); so it still means that the U's remain two WINS ahead of the bottom four. This principle is vital to understand the prospects of the U's survival. We only need 1.00 point per remaining game to reach 51 and certain safety; having achived 1.14 so far. Everybody else (bar Coventry) already need more points per game than they have achieved this season and the bottom six now require 50% more.

To get to 51 points and certain safety; the bottom six sides now all need to average better than 1.5 points per remaining game. That requirement alone is 'play off form'. Notts County (2+ per game) now need to replicate Wolves form to catch us. Indeed; whilst mathematically possible; it is statistically unlikely that any of the bottom three can catch us. So we probably only have to be concerned with Crewe; Tranmere and Carlisle.

However; there remain ten fixtures featuring sides below us that DO NOT involve the U's; in which one team MUST drop three points or both MUST drop one. Gaining 1 point when you need an average of + 1.5 means that these hence become 'must win' games between these teams; and there must always be a loser; or if a draw; both MUST slip behind the required average. In essence; whilst we are all trying to outrun a hungry lion (relegation) ; the U's only have to out run the slowest four; and there are EIGHT sides below us doing us a favour by trying to trip the others up! Our current four points and goal difference (effective six points or two win) is massive when fixtures other than those involving the U's are considered.

By contrast; our destiny is totally in our own hands. Take 8 points from 8 games to reach 51 and we are guaranteed safety. However; this is not easy to prove this without reams of data; if we secure just one win and two draws from eight games; we are probably safe with just 48 points;and we still have to play five sides below us (hence in theory weaker teams).

The reason for this is because is that the top five are so far ahead that the average points per game achieved by the remainder has been lower. Wolves are 14 points ahead of where Doncaster were at this same stage last season. Notice then that there is an astonishing 14 point gap between fifth and sixth. Whilst the U's still have to play Brentford; we do not have to play anybody else in the top five; when some of those around us still do; so one would expect them to drop further points. Frankly; if the U's get a point or better against Notts County on Saturday; and then Tranmere and Carlisle only draw with each other (hence both dropping two points); the bottom six will have a massive task to get anywhere close to us.
Zzzzzzzzzzzz
[quote][p][bold]Noah4x4[/bold] wrote: When did we go 4-4-2? Were any of you actually at the game? At 3-0 and Wolves totally dominant (n.b. when will some ever give credence to us losing to a better team?); I thought it was the right decision to withdraw Jabo to save his energy for Meadow Lane; and similarly later withdraw the hard working Gavin Massey. But what happened was suddenly we had Sammy Szmodics; Alex Gilbey; Freddie Sears; Dominic Vose and even Clinton Morrison playing 4-5-1 exactly as it should be played - neat passing football. To adopt 4-4-2; that MUST (mathematicially) require the withdrawal of either a midfielder or defender. Any 'width' must then come from at least one full back getting into advanced positions. But last night we didn't see Sesay or Dickson throwing too much caution to the wind as that would probably have got punished (as per the first half where Wolves were ruthless on our few errors). Instead we retained the shape of our back four; and instead witnessed four youthful players; with real pace that can instinctly play this system (was more like 4-2-3-1) having been brought up on the modern passing game favoured by all of the leading Premiership Clubs. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a £2M bid from Wolves for Alex Gilbey after his performance last night. Vose was also awesome. The average age of the team that finished so strongly against the runaway league leaders (e.g. winning the second half) was merely 25. However; the combined age of Morrison; Magnus; Dickson and Wright is 125. That means the remaining seven had an average age of barely 21. Given that Walker; Eastman; Watt; Massey; Vose; Drey Wright; Bonne (et al) are all youngsters (23 or less); what a bright future the U's must have under Joe Dunne and the Youth Academy that is now producing this home grown talent. It took Parky 141 games to assemble his promotion squad; so let's please have more patience as Joe has had under 80; or is your intent to replicate the foul abuse suffered by Port Vale manager Micky Adams last night who has guided them to promotion and a top half position? The U's have had 27 managers in the last 55 years. Is this why? We now need stability. Lastly; whilst Carlisle and Shrewsbury gained a point (against each other) and inched towards us given our defeat; that makes no difference to the U's relative position. It is impossible to pick up other than 3, 1, or 0 points from any game (e.g. never five points from two games); so it still means that the U's remain two WINS ahead of the bottom four. This principle is vital to understand the prospects of the U's survival. We only need 1.00 point per remaining game to reach 51 and certain safety; having achived 1.14 so far. Everybody else (bar Coventry) already need more points per game than they have achieved this season and the bottom six now require 50% more. To get to 51 points and certain safety; the bottom six sides now all need to average better than 1.5 points per remaining game. That requirement alone is 'play off form'. Notts County (2+ per game) now need to replicate Wolves form to catch us. Indeed; whilst mathematically possible; it is statistically unlikely that any of the bottom three can catch us. So we probably only have to be concerned with Crewe; Tranmere and Carlisle. However; there remain ten fixtures featuring sides below us that DO NOT involve the U's; in which one team MUST drop three points or both MUST drop one. Gaining 1 point when you need an average of + 1.5 means that these hence become 'must win' games between these teams; and there must always be a loser; or if a draw; both MUST slip behind the required average. In essence; whilst we are all trying to outrun a hungry lion (relegation) ; the U's only have to out run the slowest four; and there are EIGHT sides below us doing us a favour by trying to trip the others up! Our current four points and goal difference (effective six points or two win) is massive when fixtures other than those involving the U's are considered. By contrast; our destiny is totally in our own hands. Take 8 points from 8 games to reach 51 and we are guaranteed safety. However; this is not easy to prove this without reams of data; if we secure just one win and two draws from eight games; we are probably safe with just 48 points;and we still have to play five sides below us (hence in theory weaker teams). The reason for this is because is that the top five are so far ahead that the average points per game achieved by the remainder has been lower. Wolves are 14 points ahead of where Doncaster were at this same stage last season. Notice then that there is an astonishing 14 point gap between fifth and sixth. Whilst the U's still have to play Brentford; we do not have to play anybody else in the top five; when some of those around us still do; so one would expect them to drop further points. Frankly; if the U's get a point or better against Notts County on Saturday; and then Tranmere and Carlisle only draw with each other (hence both dropping two points); the bottom six will have a massive task to get anywhere close to us.[/p][/quote]Zzzzzzzzzzzz down the line
  • Score: 37

5:13pm Wed 26 Mar 14

SuperU's says...

Why do some of you (BlueandWhiteBaz, totallyfootball and Down the line in particular) continually bang on about the same pointless things again and again, without actually thinking about what you say and with any coherent point to your thinking, which appears to be;

1. We are doomed, run around like a headless chicken (it must be 4-4-2, conveniently forgetting that formations are much more subtle these days)
2. This is all JD's fault, i.e. the past "X" years of "failure" to be promoted must be down to him as he's now the Manager.
3. Revert back to No.1.

Some comments are about as erudite as John Wolf, but without the humour. There have been some poor games for sure but the facts (please wake up at the back there Down the line) suggest we are making some progress, although not as much as I'd expected or hoped for this year. The signs are still extremely encouraging with the younger players making an impact when they play and the extra points gained this year, with them being part of the first team, should allow us to get Grade 2 status shortly, hopefully (we missed out by just 3% this season). Down the line, you seem to be nodding off again, perhaps you have sleep apnea?

I digress. Now, the current form tables. You'd expect not to read too well for us, but our last 6 games put us on 7 points, ranked 13th out of 24, with 1.17pts/game average, with Notts County ("storming form" at the moment) 14th on 7pts, Crewe 17th on 6pts, Peterborough 18th on 6pts (hardly play-off form), Walsall 19th on 6pts, Oldham 20th on 6pts, Tranmere 23rd on 4pts and bottom 24th is Carlisle on 3pts. From that lot we are playing 6 of them in our last 8 games so we have our own destiny in our hands.

As Noah 4x4 says, we just need to have similar "bad" form for those games to stay up on 50pts and our goal difference is a massive boost in that as it does give us an extra point when considered.

Facts can sometimes get in the way?

Up the Us!
Why do some of you (BlueandWhiteBaz, totallyfootball and Down the line in particular) continually bang on about the same pointless things again and again, without actually thinking about what you say and with any coherent point to your thinking, which appears to be; 1. We are doomed, run around like a headless chicken (it must be 4-4-2, conveniently forgetting that formations are much more subtle these days) 2. This is all JD's fault, i.e. the past "X" years of "failure" to be promoted must be down to him as he's now the Manager. 3. Revert back to No.1. Some comments are about as erudite as John Wolf, but without the humour. There have been some poor games for sure but the facts (please wake up at the back there Down the line) suggest we are making some progress, although not as much as I'd expected or hoped for this year. The signs are still extremely encouraging with the younger players making an impact when they play and the extra points gained this year, with them being part of the first team, should allow us to get Grade 2 status shortly, hopefully (we missed out by just 3% this season). Down the line, you seem to be nodding off again, perhaps you have sleep apnea? I digress. Now, the current form tables. You'd expect not to read too well for us, but our last 6 games put us on 7 points, ranked 13th out of 24, with 1.17pts/game average, with Notts County ("storming form" at the moment) 14th on 7pts, Crewe 17th on 6pts, Peterborough 18th on 6pts (hardly play-off form), Walsall 19th on 6pts, Oldham 20th on 6pts, Tranmere 23rd on 4pts and bottom 24th is Carlisle on 3pts. From that lot we are playing 6 of them in our last 8 games so we have our own destiny in our hands. As Noah 4x4 says, we just need to have similar "bad" form for those games to stay up on 50pts and our goal difference is a massive boost in that as it does give us an extra point when considered. Facts can sometimes get in the way? Up the Us! SuperU's
  • Score: -28

5:24pm Wed 26 Mar 14

Noah4x4 says...

17,000 Wolves fans (apart from one idiot in here) now respect us. Wolves manager Kenny Jackett is quoted on the BBC website...

"You see a lot of comebacks in football and Colchester have a lot of spirit. They changed their system, went to a DIAMOND and caused us problems"

Yet 'Clan Negative' still say that Joe Dunne's modern day tactics (whether he adopts 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-1-2 ) were wrong; and all from the perspective of their sofas and armchairs; which they no doubt organise 4-4-2. Knowledgeable fans that follow the U's home and away request that you please stay away from the Technical Area.

It's been a challenging season of change; and our youth are still immature. But on the evidence of the two HOME wins and the superb comebacks both on Saturday (to draw) and last night (a goal post from a draw); coming all within just EIGHTEEN DAYS; this is how future U's success will be achieved. Yes; one must accept that we have also had three defeats in those same 18 days; (but I emphasise SIX matches in 18 days!). Please get real with your expectations!
17,000 Wolves fans (apart from one idiot in here) now respect us. Wolves manager Kenny Jackett is quoted on the BBC website... "You see a lot of comebacks in football and Colchester have a lot of spirit. They changed their system, went to a DIAMOND and caused us problems" Yet 'Clan Negative' still say that Joe Dunne's modern day tactics (whether he adopts 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-1-2 ) were wrong; and all from the perspective of their sofas and armchairs; which they no doubt organise 4-4-2. Knowledgeable fans that follow the U's home and away request that you please stay away from the Technical Area. It's been a challenging season of change; and our youth are still immature. But on the evidence of the two HOME wins and the superb comebacks both on Saturday (to draw) and last night (a goal post from a draw); coming all within just EIGHTEEN DAYS; this is how future U's success will be achieved. Yes; one must accept that we have also had three defeats in those same 18 days; (but I emphasise SIX matches in 18 days!). Please get real with your expectations! Noah4x4
  • Score: -19

8:22pm Wed 26 Mar 14

super waluigi says...

Some fantastic blogs on here once again. All of them coming from the realists and not the negatives.

SuperUs, it would be great to see you on here more often.

Totally football, you need to understand the difference between politicians using statistics as a spin, and football fans using facts to argue a point. Don't agree? Try it, you may make some sense.

Back to the football debate. Dunne is a football manager firstly, but he is also thought provoking. He is different from other managers and this should be recognised. 4-4-2 is all well and good for a FIFA 2014 video gamer, but in reality football is far more fluid than that now a days.
Some fantastic blogs on here once again. All of them coming from the realists and not the negatives. SuperUs, it would be great to see you on here more often. Totally football, you need to understand the difference between politicians using statistics as a spin, and football fans using facts to argue a point. Don't agree? Try it, you may make some sense. Back to the football debate. Dunne is a football manager firstly, but he is also thought provoking. He is different from other managers and this should be recognised. 4-4-2 is all well and good for a FIFA 2014 video gamer, but in reality football is far more fluid than that now a days. super waluigi
  • Score: -20

8:37pm Wed 26 Mar 14

totallyfootball says...

SuperU's wrote:
Why do some of you (BlueandWhiteBaz, totallyfootball and Down the line in particular) continually bang on about the same pointless things again and again, without actually thinking about what you say and with any coherent point to your thinking, which appears to be;

1. We are doomed, run around like a headless chicken (it must be 4-4-2, conveniently forgetting that formations are much more subtle these days)
2. This is all JD's fault, i.e. the past "X" years of "failure" to be promoted must be down to him as he's now the Manager.
3. Revert back to No.1.

Some comments are about as erudite as John Wolf, but without the humour. There have been some poor games for sure but the facts (please wake up at the back there Down the line) suggest we are making some progress, although not as much as I'd expected or hoped for this year. The signs are still extremely encouraging with the younger players making an impact when they play and the extra points gained this year, with them being part of the first team, should allow us to get Grade 2 status shortly, hopefully (we missed out by just 3% this season). Down the line, you seem to be nodding off again, perhaps you have sleep apnea?

I digress. Now, the current form tables. You'd expect not to read too well for us, but our last 6 games put us on 7 points, ranked 13th out of 24, with 1.17pts/game average, with Notts County ("storming form" at the moment) 14th on 7pts, Crewe 17th on 6pts, Peterborough 18th on 6pts (hardly play-off form), Walsall 19th on 6pts, Oldham 20th on 6pts, Tranmere 23rd on 4pts and bottom 24th is Carlisle on 3pts. From that lot we are playing 6 of them in our last 8 games so we have our own destiny in our hands.

As Noah 4x4 says, we just need to have similar "bad" form for those games to stay up on 50pts and our goal difference is a massive boost in that as it does give us an extra point when considered.

Facts can sometimes get in the way?

Up the Us!
You are right about facts, same meat different gravy, this sounds to me like you agree with everyone in some shape or form, we all have a point but some just can't take someone else's personal opinion. Lets all keep our opinions to ourselves here forward and talk again at the end of the season, should be interesting!
[quote][p][bold]SuperU's[/bold] wrote: Why do some of you (BlueandWhiteBaz, totallyfootball and Down the line in particular) continually bang on about the same pointless things again and again, without actually thinking about what you say and with any coherent point to your thinking, which appears to be; 1. We are doomed, run around like a headless chicken (it must be 4-4-2, conveniently forgetting that formations are much more subtle these days) 2. This is all JD's fault, i.e. the past "X" years of "failure" to be promoted must be down to him as he's now the Manager. 3. Revert back to No.1. Some comments are about as erudite as John Wolf, but without the humour. There have been some poor games for sure but the facts (please wake up at the back there Down the line) suggest we are making some progress, although not as much as I'd expected or hoped for this year. The signs are still extremely encouraging with the younger players making an impact when they play and the extra points gained this year, with them being part of the first team, should allow us to get Grade 2 status shortly, hopefully (we missed out by just 3% this season). Down the line, you seem to be nodding off again, perhaps you have sleep apnea? I digress. Now, the current form tables. You'd expect not to read too well for us, but our last 6 games put us on 7 points, ranked 13th out of 24, with 1.17pts/game average, with Notts County ("storming form" at the moment) 14th on 7pts, Crewe 17th on 6pts, Peterborough 18th on 6pts (hardly play-off form), Walsall 19th on 6pts, Oldham 20th on 6pts, Tranmere 23rd on 4pts and bottom 24th is Carlisle on 3pts. From that lot we are playing 6 of them in our last 8 games so we have our own destiny in our hands. As Noah 4x4 says, we just need to have similar "bad" form for those games to stay up on 50pts and our goal difference is a massive boost in that as it does give us an extra point when considered. Facts can sometimes get in the way? Up the Us![/p][/quote]You are right about facts, same meat different gravy, this sounds to me like you agree with everyone in some shape or form, we all have a point but some just can't take someone else's personal opinion. Lets all keep our opinions to ourselves here forward and talk again at the end of the season, should be interesting! totallyfootball
  • Score: 7

8:59pm Wed 26 Mar 14

crazy comments says...

down the line wrote:
Noah4x4 wrote:
When did we go 4-4-2? Were any of you actually at the game?

At 3-0 and Wolves totally dominant (n.b. when will some ever give credence to us losing to a better team?); I thought it was the right decision to withdraw Jabo to save his energy for Meadow Lane; and similarly later withdraw the hard working Gavin Massey. But what happened was suddenly we had Sammy Szmodics; Alex Gilbey; Freddie Sears; Dominic Vose and even Clinton Morrison playing 4-5-1 exactly as it should be played - neat passing football.

To adopt 4-4-2; that MUST (mathematicially) require the withdrawal of either a midfielder or defender. Any 'width' must then come from at least one full back getting into advanced positions. But last night we didn't see Sesay or Dickson throwing too much caution to the wind as that would probably have got punished (as per the first half where Wolves were ruthless on our few errors). Instead we retained the shape of our back four; and instead witnessed four youthful players; with real pace that can instinctly play this system (was more like 4-2-3-1) having been brought up on the modern passing game favoured by all of the leading Premiership Clubs. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a £2M bid from Wolves for Alex Gilbey after his performance last night. Vose was also awesome.

The average age of the team that finished so strongly against the runaway league leaders (e.g. winning the second half) was merely 25. However; the combined age of Morrison; Magnus; Dickson and Wright is 125. That means the remaining seven had an average age of barely 21. Given that Walker; Eastman; Watt; Massey; Vose; Drey Wright; Bonne (et al) are all youngsters (23 or less); what a bright future the U's must have under Joe Dunne and the Youth Academy that is now producing this home grown talent. It took Parky 141 games to assemble his promotion squad; so let's please have more patience as Joe has had under 80; or is your intent to replicate the foul abuse suffered by Port Vale manager Micky Adams last night who has guided them to promotion and a top half position? The U's have had 27 managers in the last 55 years. Is this why? We now need stability.

Lastly; whilst Carlisle and Shrewsbury gained a point (against each other) and inched towards us given our defeat; that makes no difference to the U's relative position. It is impossible to pick up other than 3, 1, or 0 points from any game (e.g. never five points from two games); so it still means that the U's remain two WINS ahead of the bottom four. This principle is vital to understand the prospects of the U's survival. We only need 1.00 point per remaining game to reach 51 and certain safety; having achived 1.14 so far. Everybody else (bar Coventry) already need more points per game than they have achieved this season and the bottom six now require 50% more.

To get to 51 points and certain safety; the bottom six sides now all need to average better than 1.5 points per remaining game. That requirement alone is 'play off form'. Notts County (2+ per game) now need to replicate Wolves form to catch us. Indeed; whilst mathematically possible; it is statistically unlikely that any of the bottom three can catch us. So we probably only have to be concerned with Crewe; Tranmere and Carlisle.

However; there remain ten fixtures featuring sides below us that DO NOT involve the U's; in which one team MUST drop three points or both MUST drop one. Gaining 1 point when you need an average of + 1.5 means that these hence become 'must win' games between these teams; and there must always be a loser; or if a draw; both MUST slip behind the required average. In essence; whilst we are all trying to outrun a hungry lion (relegation) ; the U's only have to out run the slowest four; and there are EIGHT sides below us doing us a favour by trying to trip the others up! Our current four points and goal difference (effective six points or two win) is massive when fixtures other than those involving the U's are considered.

By contrast; our destiny is totally in our own hands. Take 8 points from 8 games to reach 51 and we are guaranteed safety. However; this is not easy to prove this without reams of data; if we secure just one win and two draws from eight games; we are probably safe with just 48 points;and we still have to play five sides below us (hence in theory weaker teams).

The reason for this is because is that the top five are so far ahead that the average points per game achieved by the remainder has been lower. Wolves are 14 points ahead of where Doncaster were at this same stage last season. Notice then that there is an astonishing 14 point gap between fifth and sixth. Whilst the U's still have to play Brentford; we do not have to play anybody else in the top five; when some of those around us still do; so one would expect them to drop further points. Frankly; if the U's get a point or better against Notts County on Saturday; and then Tranmere and Carlisle only draw with each other (hence both dropping two points); the bottom six will have a massive task to get anywhere close to us.
Zzzzzzzzzzzz
Did you say hard working Massey. You got to be joking.

I read an article last week in the East Anglian where Mick McCarhey had been banging on to Anthony Wordsworth about doing the dirty jobs in football like tackling and chasing back on tracking players. He mentioned the player had terrific football ability but was lazy. At long last, Woody has found to succeed you have to work hard, and now he has a manager who takes no ****.

Sadly for me.the same thing applies to Massey. Last night never tackled or chased back. Laziness that what I call it. This is where the management skills of the manager play there part. Dunne praising the players last night for their efforts. What for? bad sloppy play. We never deserved a thing.
[quote][p][bold]down the line[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Noah4x4[/bold] wrote: When did we go 4-4-2? Were any of you actually at the game? At 3-0 and Wolves totally dominant (n.b. when will some ever give credence to us losing to a better team?); I thought it was the right decision to withdraw Jabo to save his energy for Meadow Lane; and similarly later withdraw the hard working Gavin Massey. But what happened was suddenly we had Sammy Szmodics; Alex Gilbey; Freddie Sears; Dominic Vose and even Clinton Morrison playing 4-5-1 exactly as it should be played - neat passing football. To adopt 4-4-2; that MUST (mathematicially) require the withdrawal of either a midfielder or defender. Any 'width' must then come from at least one full back getting into advanced positions. But last night we didn't see Sesay or Dickson throwing too much caution to the wind as that would probably have got punished (as per the first half where Wolves were ruthless on our few errors). Instead we retained the shape of our back four; and instead witnessed four youthful players; with real pace that can instinctly play this system (was more like 4-2-3-1) having been brought up on the modern passing game favoured by all of the leading Premiership Clubs. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a £2M bid from Wolves for Alex Gilbey after his performance last night. Vose was also awesome. The average age of the team that finished so strongly against the runaway league leaders (e.g. winning the second half) was merely 25. However; the combined age of Morrison; Magnus; Dickson and Wright is 125. That means the remaining seven had an average age of barely 21. Given that Walker; Eastman; Watt; Massey; Vose; Drey Wright; Bonne (et al) are all youngsters (23 or less); what a bright future the U's must have under Joe Dunne and the Youth Academy that is now producing this home grown talent. It took Parky 141 games to assemble his promotion squad; so let's please have more patience as Joe has had under 80; or is your intent to replicate the foul abuse suffered by Port Vale manager Micky Adams last night who has guided them to promotion and a top half position? The U's have had 27 managers in the last 55 years. Is this why? We now need stability. Lastly; whilst Carlisle and Shrewsbury gained a point (against each other) and inched towards us given our defeat; that makes no difference to the U's relative position. It is impossible to pick up other than 3, 1, or 0 points from any game (e.g. never five points from two games); so it still means that the U's remain two WINS ahead of the bottom four. This principle is vital to understand the prospects of the U's survival. We only need 1.00 point per remaining game to reach 51 and certain safety; having achived 1.14 so far. Everybody else (bar Coventry) already need more points per game than they have achieved this season and the bottom six now require 50% more. To get to 51 points and certain safety; the bottom six sides now all need to average better than 1.5 points per remaining game. That requirement alone is 'play off form'. Notts County (2+ per game) now need to replicate Wolves form to catch us. Indeed; whilst mathematically possible; it is statistically unlikely that any of the bottom three can catch us. So we probably only have to be concerned with Crewe; Tranmere and Carlisle. However; there remain ten fixtures featuring sides below us that DO NOT involve the U's; in which one team MUST drop three points or both MUST drop one. Gaining 1 point when you need an average of + 1.5 means that these hence become 'must win' games between these teams; and there must always be a loser; or if a draw; both MUST slip behind the required average. In essence; whilst we are all trying to outrun a hungry lion (relegation) ; the U's only have to out run the slowest four; and there are EIGHT sides below us doing us a favour by trying to trip the others up! Our current four points and goal difference (effective six points or two win) is massive when fixtures other than those involving the U's are considered. By contrast; our destiny is totally in our own hands. Take 8 points from 8 games to reach 51 and we are guaranteed safety. However; this is not easy to prove this without reams of data; if we secure just one win and two draws from eight games; we are probably safe with just 48 points;and we still have to play five sides below us (hence in theory weaker teams). The reason for this is because is that the top five are so far ahead that the average points per game achieved by the remainder has been lower. Wolves are 14 points ahead of where Doncaster were at this same stage last season. Notice then that there is an astonishing 14 point gap between fifth and sixth. Whilst the U's still have to play Brentford; we do not have to play anybody else in the top five; when some of those around us still do; so one would expect them to drop further points. Frankly; if the U's get a point or better against Notts County on Saturday; and then Tranmere and Carlisle only draw with each other (hence both dropping two points); the bottom six will have a massive task to get anywhere close to us.[/p][/quote]Zzzzzzzzzzzz[/p][/quote]Did you say hard working Massey. You got to be joking. I read an article last week in the East Anglian where Mick McCarhey had been banging on to Anthony Wordsworth about doing the dirty jobs in football like tackling and chasing back on tracking players. He mentioned the player had terrific football ability but was lazy. At long last, Woody has found to succeed you have to work hard, and now he has a manager who takes no ****. Sadly for me.the same thing applies to Massey. Last night never tackled or chased back. Laziness that what I call it. This is where the management skills of the manager play there part. Dunne praising the players last night for their efforts. What for? bad sloppy play. We never deserved a thing. crazy comments
  • Score: 18

9:52pm Wed 26 Mar 14

notenough says...

Noah I’m not that good at statistics and I do take in and agree with some of your points, but
Walker 22, Massey 21, Watt 23, Eastman 22 & Vose 20
None of the these players have come through the youth scheme having played for other clubs before coming to Colchester. These are what I call Men not boy’s I was in a foreign country when I was 19 and was considered a Man at the job I was doing likewise my son-in-law 18yrs of age serving in another country.
Unlike some supporters I think Walker has saved us time and time again but then again what other clubs have come in for any of our players ??
If we do go down which I hardly think will happen and we stay up and struggle like this season Watt will be gone ! The poor games we have witnessed this season sometimes hardly a shot at the opponents goal.
As for this Johnwolf fella he should be questioning his sides poor performance in front of goal.
Noah I’m not that good at statistics and I do take in and agree with some of your points, but Walker 22, Massey 21, Watt 23, Eastman 22 & Vose 20 None of the these players have come through the youth scheme having played for other clubs before coming to Colchester. These are what I call Men not boy’s I was in a foreign country when I was 19 and was considered a Man at the job I was doing likewise my son-in-law 18yrs of age serving in another country. Unlike some supporters I think Walker has saved us time and time again but then again what other clubs have come in for any of our players ?? If we do go down which I hardly think will happen and we stay up and struggle like this season Watt will be gone ! The poor games we have witnessed this season sometimes hardly a shot at the opponents goal. As for this Johnwolf fella he should be questioning his sides poor performance in front of goal. notenough
  • Score: 12

11:32pm Wed 26 Mar 14

Noah4x4 says...

notenough wrote:
Noah I’m not that good at statistics and I do take in and agree with some of your points, but
Walker 22, Massey 21, Watt 23, Eastman 22 & Vose 20
None of the these players have come through the youth scheme having played for other clubs before coming to Colchester. These are what I call Men not boy’s I was in a foreign country when I was 19 and was considered a Man at the job I was doing likewise my son-in-law 18yrs of age serving in another country.
Unlike some supporters I think Walker has saved us time and time again but then again what other clubs have come in for any of our players ??
If we do go down which I hardly think will happen and we stay up and struggle like this season Watt will be gone ! The poor games we have witnessed this season sometimes hardly a shot at the opponents goal.
As for this Johnwolf fella he should be questioning his sides poor performance in front of goal.
Yet more duff information. It’s true that at age 19 one can fight in the army or play football for England; but that is utterly irrelevant. The real question is; when do footballers reach their maturity; attain optimisation of development/skills and achieve peak performance?

This data shows the average age of international teams (e.g. by definition the best players that country could muster) at Euro 2010.

Germany 24.52
Poland 25.13
England 26.04
Denmark 26.57
France 26.65
Spain 26.78
Croatia 27.09
Portugal 27.08
Netherlands 27.13
Greece 27.17
Czech Republic 27.26
Ukraine 27.30
Italy 27.91
Sweden 28.30
Russia 28.34
Republic of Ireland 28.35

As can clearly seen from above; a mature; fully developed; optimised football team is likely to have an average age of 27 + . The U’s average age is age is much lower; hence has NOT reached its peak.

You then accept that (say) Walker; Massey; Watt; Vose; Eastman are all under 24; yet state that they are “experienced; having been at other clubs”. But these are all products of the very similar academies at Chelsea; Watford; Arsenal; West Ham and Ipswich and some made their senior debut in the Football League whilst on loan at WHCS. Only Tom Eastman had briefly previously played in the Football League as a contracted player (e.g. one not on loan). So the only difference between these and our own youth academy prospects is that they are a couple of years older; but none have reached the age of typical footballing maturity (as proven above).

Sam Walker was fifth choice goalkeeper at Chelsea. Then; even the most experienced of these; 23 year old Sanchez Watt; never played a senior (Premier League) game for Arsenal; and during his loan spells with Southend; Leeds; Sheffield Wednesday and Crawley Sanchez made merely 40 appearances before joining the U’s (initially on loan). That is less than the equivalent of a complete season; and always on loan; and yet you say he was experienced before joining the U’s?

Gavin Massey had played a mere 29 football league games on LOAN at Watford and Yeovil before joining the U’s. Despite being on the books of West Ham; Dominic Vose made his Football League debut for Colchester United. The pattern is clear; Joe Dunne has a real eye for spotting youth talent whether this be developed via our recently established academy or from that of other clubs.

I do agree that we have been somewhat poor in front of goal on occasion; but that is a different point. Our selected strikers have generally been older (e.g. Morrison 35; Ibrehe; 31; Sears 25). I would now like to see far more of Bonne; Szmodics; as they seem fearless in front of goal; but lacking experience and maturity; but I trust Joe Dunne's judgement as to when is the right time to introduce them with greater regularity. But there can be no denying that Colchester United has one of the youngest and LEAST experienced squads; and if boys like Gilbey; Vose and Szmodics can produce the fighting skilful performances that we have recently seen against top teams like Bristol City and Wolves; imagine how good these lads might be when they reach footballing maturity at an average age of 27.
[quote][p][bold]notenough[/bold] wrote: Noah I’m not that good at statistics and I do take in and agree with some of your points, but Walker 22, Massey 21, Watt 23, Eastman 22 & Vose 20 None of the these players have come through the youth scheme having played for other clubs before coming to Colchester. These are what I call Men not boy’s I was in a foreign country when I was 19 and was considered a Man at the job I was doing likewise my son-in-law 18yrs of age serving in another country. Unlike some supporters I think Walker has saved us time and time again but then again what other clubs have come in for any of our players ?? If we do go down which I hardly think will happen and we stay up and struggle like this season Watt will be gone ! The poor games we have witnessed this season sometimes hardly a shot at the opponents goal. As for this Johnwolf fella he should be questioning his sides poor performance in front of goal.[/p][/quote]Yet more duff information. It’s true that at age 19 one can fight in the army or play football for England; but that is utterly irrelevant. The real question is; when do footballers reach their maturity; attain optimisation of development/skills and achieve peak performance? This data shows the average age of international teams (e.g. by definition the best players that country could muster) at Euro 2010. Germany 24.52 Poland 25.13 England 26.04 Denmark 26.57 France 26.65 Spain 26.78 Croatia 27.09 Portugal 27.08 Netherlands 27.13 Greece 27.17 Czech Republic 27.26 Ukraine 27.30 Italy 27.91 Sweden 28.30 Russia 28.34 Republic of Ireland 28.35 As can clearly seen from above; a mature; fully developed; optimised football team is likely to have an average age of 27 + . The U’s average age is age is much lower; hence has NOT reached its peak. You then accept that (say) Walker; Massey; Watt; Vose; Eastman are all under 24; yet state that they are “experienced; having been at other clubs”. But these are all products of the very similar academies at Chelsea; Watford; Arsenal; West Ham and Ipswich and some made their senior debut in the Football League whilst on loan at WHCS. Only Tom Eastman had briefly previously played in the Football League as a contracted player (e.g. one not on loan). So the only difference between these and our own youth academy prospects is that they are a couple of years older; but none have reached the age of typical footballing maturity (as proven above). Sam Walker was fifth choice goalkeeper at Chelsea. Then; even the most experienced of these; 23 year old Sanchez Watt; never played a senior (Premier League) game for Arsenal; and during his loan spells with Southend; Leeds; Sheffield Wednesday and Crawley Sanchez made merely 40 appearances before joining the U’s (initially on loan). That is less than the equivalent of a complete season; and always on loan; and yet you say he was experienced before joining the U’s? Gavin Massey had played a mere 29 football league games on LOAN at Watford and Yeovil before joining the U’s. Despite being on the books of West Ham; Dominic Vose made his Football League debut for Colchester United. The pattern is clear; Joe Dunne has a real eye for spotting youth talent whether this be developed via our recently established academy or from that of other clubs. I do agree that we have been somewhat poor in front of goal on occasion; but that is a different point. Our selected strikers have generally been older (e.g. Morrison 35; Ibrehe; 31; Sears 25). I would now like to see far more of Bonne; Szmodics; as they seem fearless in front of goal; but lacking experience and maturity; but I trust Joe Dunne's judgement as to when is the right time to introduce them with greater regularity. But there can be no denying that Colchester United has one of the youngest and LEAST experienced squads; and if boys like Gilbey; Vose and Szmodics can produce the fighting skilful performances that we have recently seen against top teams like Bristol City and Wolves; imagine how good these lads might be when they reach footballing maturity at an average age of 27. Noah4x4
  • Score: -23

12:03am Thu 27 Mar 14

❄Nicky says...

At least 70% of Noah4x4's posts are pure bull and endless waffle, the rest is spurious statistics and lies. Definitely a blogger you believe at your peril!
At least 70% of Noah4x4's posts are pure bull and endless waffle, the rest is spurious statistics and lies. Definitely a blogger you believe at your peril! ❄Nicky
  • Score: 44

1:16am Thu 27 Mar 14

Noah4x4 says...

❄Nicky wrote:
At least 70% of Noah4x4's posts are pure bull and endless waffle, the rest is spurious statistics and lies. Definitely a blogger you believe at your peril!
Is that the best you can do....throw childish insults...?

'Clan negative' has now encountered somebody with the ability to accurately conduct research and counter its negative poisonous anti Colchester United propaganda using credible tangible data.

So if this is "70% pure bull and waffle and the rest spurious statistics and lies"; why not prove that by producing some credible counter arguments of your own? Nah; why bother when an insult will suffice.
[quote][p][bold]❄Nicky[/bold] wrote: At least 70% of Noah4x4's posts are pure bull and endless waffle, the rest is spurious statistics and lies. Definitely a blogger you believe at your peril![/p][/quote]Is that the best you can do....throw childish insults...? 'Clan negative' has now encountered somebody with the ability to accurately conduct research and counter its negative poisonous anti Colchester United propaganda using credible tangible data. So if this is "70% pure bull and waffle and the rest spurious statistics and lies"; why not prove that by producing some credible counter arguments of your own? Nah; why bother when an insult will suffice. Noah4x4
  • Score: -37

8:33am Thu 27 Mar 14

totallyfootball says...

❄Nicky wrote:
At least 70% of Noah4x4's posts are pure bull and endless waffle, the rest is spurious statistics and lies. Definitely a blogger you believe at your peril!
Bit harsh Nicky, but quoting past facts and figures will never reflect today, different atmosphere, players and standard of opposition just to name a few reasons not to make comparisons. At times I envy your knowledge Noah but in my humble opinion its all a tad irrelevant don't you think? I personally fail to see the negative poisonous (strong word) anti Colchester United propaganda! Its a collection of local people airing their views on their local team, views that you sadly don't agree with, as your prerogative. As I said before facts are great, history is important but lets deal with the here and now and be honest, its not looking great is it? Joe Dunne is out of his depth and he has gained/learned nothing in his time as manager other than how to survive or get by as I call it, but that's purely my view and one I am entitled to have. Look at where we are for the second year running and tell me honestly it can go on? A lot of managers have lost their jobs this year for no good reason, he is so lucky to still have his based on the number one requirement, results! If we had a Chairman that was interested in his club more than his own kudos Dunne would have gone mid season..............
...FACT! Fingers crossed for the rest of the season.
[quote][p][bold]❄Nicky[/bold] wrote: At least 70% of Noah4x4's posts are pure bull and endless waffle, the rest is spurious statistics and lies. Definitely a blogger you believe at your peril![/p][/quote]Bit harsh Nicky, but quoting past facts and figures will never reflect today, different atmosphere, players and standard of opposition just to name a few reasons not to make comparisons. At times I envy your knowledge Noah but in my humble opinion its all a tad irrelevant don't you think? I personally fail to see the negative poisonous (strong word) anti Colchester United propaganda! Its a collection of local people airing their views on their local team, views that you sadly don't agree with, as your prerogative. As I said before facts are great, history is important but lets deal with the here and now and be honest, its not looking great is it? Joe Dunne is out of his depth and he has gained/learned nothing in his time as manager other than how to survive or get by as I call it, but that's purely my view and one I am entitled to have. Look at where we are for the second year running and tell me honestly it can go on? A lot of managers have lost their jobs this year for no good reason, he is so lucky to still have his based on the number one requirement, results! If we had a Chairman that was interested in his club more than his own kudos Dunne would have gone mid season.............. ...FACT! Fingers crossed for the rest of the season. totallyfootball
  • Score: 33

3:22pm Thu 27 Mar 14

notenough says...

Childish insults, Dull Information ? All coming from you, Yes I chose my career so did my son in-law and many other “ Young men “ with more bottle than some of these players at Colchester. That’s something else bit like some of your waffle ?

Walker. Chelsea,Barnet, Northampton, Bristol Rovers.
Massey. Watford, Wealston, Yeovil.
Watt, Arsenal Southend, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Crawley.
Eastman Ipswich.
Vose Fulham, W.Ham, Braintree, Tooting & Mitcham, Barnet.

Did I say any of these were experienced ?? I said they are grown up men.
Childish insults, Dull Information ? All coming from you, Yes I chose my career so did my son in-law and many other “ Young men “ with more bottle than some of these players at Colchester. That’s something else bit like some of your waffle ? Walker. Chelsea,Barnet, Northampton, Bristol Rovers. Massey. Watford, Wealston, Yeovil. Watt, Arsenal Southend, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Crawley. Eastman Ipswich. Vose Fulham, W.Ham, Braintree, Tooting & Mitcham, Barnet. Did I say any of these were experienced ?? I said they are grown up men. notenough
  • Score: 27

6:40pm Thu 27 Mar 14

southstand says...

Noah4x4 wrote:
notenough wrote:
Noah I’m not that good at statistics and I do take in and agree with some of your points, but
Walker 22, Massey 21, Watt 23, Eastman 22 & Vose 20
None of the these players have come through the youth scheme having played for other clubs before coming to Colchester. These are what I call Men not boy’s I was in a foreign country when I was 19 and was considered a Man at the job I was doing likewise my son-in-law 18yrs of age serving in another country.
Unlike some supporters I think Walker has saved us time and time again but then again what other clubs have come in for any of our players ??
If we do go down which I hardly think will happen and we stay up and struggle like this season Watt will be gone ! The poor games we have witnessed this season sometimes hardly a shot at the opponents goal.
As for this Johnwolf fella he should be questioning his sides poor performance in front of goal.
Yet more duff information. It’s true that at age 19 one can fight in the army or play football for England; but that is utterly irrelevant. The real question is; when do footballers reach their maturity; attain optimisation of development/skills and achieve peak performance?

This data shows the average age of international teams (e.g. by definition the best players that country could muster) at Euro 2010.

Germany 24.52
Poland 25.13
England 26.04
Denmark 26.57
France 26.65
Spain 26.78
Croatia 27.09
Portugal 27.08
Netherlands 27.13
Greece 27.17
Czech Republic 27.26
Ukraine 27.30
Italy 27.91
Sweden 28.30
Russia 28.34
Republic of Ireland 28.35

As can clearly seen from above; a mature; fully developed; optimised football team is likely to have an average age of 27 + . The U’s average age is age is much lower; hence has NOT reached its peak.

You then accept that (say) Walker; Massey; Watt; Vose; Eastman are all under 24; yet state that they are “experienced; having been at other clubs”. But these are all products of the very similar academies at Chelsea; Watford; Arsenal; West Ham and Ipswich and some made their senior debut in the Football League whilst on loan at WHCS. Only Tom Eastman had briefly previously played in the Football League as a contracted player (e.g. one not on loan). So the only difference between these and our own youth academy prospects is that they are a couple of years older; but none have reached the age of typical footballing maturity (as proven above).

Sam Walker was fifth choice goalkeeper at Chelsea. Then; even the most experienced of these; 23 year old Sanchez Watt; never played a senior (Premier League) game for Arsenal; and during his loan spells with Southend; Leeds; Sheffield Wednesday and Crawley Sanchez made merely 40 appearances before joining the U’s (initially on loan). That is less than the equivalent of a complete season; and always on loan; and yet you say he was experienced before joining the U’s?

Gavin Massey had played a mere 29 football league games on LOAN at Watford and Yeovil before joining the U’s. Despite being on the books of West Ham; Dominic Vose made his Football League debut for Colchester United. The pattern is clear; Joe Dunne has a real eye for spotting youth talent whether this be developed via our recently established academy or from that of other clubs.

I do agree that we have been somewhat poor in front of goal on occasion; but that is a different point. Our selected strikers have generally been older (e.g. Morrison 35; Ibrehe; 31; Sears 25). I would now like to see far more of Bonne; Szmodics; as they seem fearless in front of goal; but lacking experience and maturity; but I trust Joe Dunne's judgement as to when is the right time to introduce them with greater regularity. But there can be no denying that Colchester United has one of the youngest and LEAST experienced squads; and if boys like Gilbey; Vose and Szmodics can produce the fighting skilful performances that we have recently seen against top teams like Bristol City and Wolves; imagine how good these lads might be when they reach footballing maturity at an average age of 27.
I like reading these noahs posts as he makes excellent points unlike most on here, I myself have got cheesed off with many of the performances and have doubted Joes managerial ability but I think given time all will be well.
[quote][p][bold]Noah4x4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notenough[/bold] wrote: Noah I’m not that good at statistics and I do take in and agree with some of your points, but Walker 22, Massey 21, Watt 23, Eastman 22 & Vose 20 None of the these players have come through the youth scheme having played for other clubs before coming to Colchester. These are what I call Men not boy’s I was in a foreign country when I was 19 and was considered a Man at the job I was doing likewise my son-in-law 18yrs of age serving in another country. Unlike some supporters I think Walker has saved us time and time again but then again what other clubs have come in for any of our players ?? If we do go down which I hardly think will happen and we stay up and struggle like this season Watt will be gone ! The poor games we have witnessed this season sometimes hardly a shot at the opponents goal. As for this Johnwolf fella he should be questioning his sides poor performance in front of goal.[/p][/quote]Yet more duff information. It’s true that at age 19 one can fight in the army or play football for England; but that is utterly irrelevant. The real question is; when do footballers reach their maturity; attain optimisation of development/skills and achieve peak performance? This data shows the average age of international teams (e.g. by definition the best players that country could muster) at Euro 2010. Germany 24.52 Poland 25.13 England 26.04 Denmark 26.57 France 26.65 Spain 26.78 Croatia 27.09 Portugal 27.08 Netherlands 27.13 Greece 27.17 Czech Republic 27.26 Ukraine 27.30 Italy 27.91 Sweden 28.30 Russia 28.34 Republic of Ireland 28.35 As can clearly seen from above; a mature; fully developed; optimised football team is likely to have an average age of 27 + . The U’s average age is age is much lower; hence has NOT reached its peak. You then accept that (say) Walker; Massey; Watt; Vose; Eastman are all under 24; yet state that they are “experienced; having been at other clubs”. But these are all products of the very similar academies at Chelsea; Watford; Arsenal; West Ham and Ipswich and some made their senior debut in the Football League whilst on loan at WHCS. Only Tom Eastman had briefly previously played in the Football League as a contracted player (e.g. one not on loan). So the only difference between these and our own youth academy prospects is that they are a couple of years older; but none have reached the age of typical footballing maturity (as proven above). Sam Walker was fifth choice goalkeeper at Chelsea. Then; even the most experienced of these; 23 year old Sanchez Watt; never played a senior (Premier League) game for Arsenal; and during his loan spells with Southend; Leeds; Sheffield Wednesday and Crawley Sanchez made merely 40 appearances before joining the U’s (initially on loan). That is less than the equivalent of a complete season; and always on loan; and yet you say he was experienced before joining the U’s? Gavin Massey had played a mere 29 football league games on LOAN at Watford and Yeovil before joining the U’s. Despite being on the books of West Ham; Dominic Vose made his Football League debut for Colchester United. The pattern is clear; Joe Dunne has a real eye for spotting youth talent whether this be developed via our recently established academy or from that of other clubs. I do agree that we have been somewhat poor in front of goal on occasion; but that is a different point. Our selected strikers have generally been older (e.g. Morrison 35; Ibrehe; 31; Sears 25). I would now like to see far more of Bonne; Szmodics; as they seem fearless in front of goal; but lacking experience and maturity; but I trust Joe Dunne's judgement as to when is the right time to introduce them with greater regularity. But there can be no denying that Colchester United has one of the youngest and LEAST experienced squads; and if boys like Gilbey; Vose and Szmodics can produce the fighting skilful performances that we have recently seen against top teams like Bristol City and Wolves; imagine how good these lads might be when they reach footballing maturity at an average age of 27.[/p][/quote]I like reading these noahs posts as he makes excellent points unlike most on here, I myself have got cheesed off with many of the performances and have doubted Joes managerial ability but I think given time all will be well. southstand
  • Score: -15

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree