Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
Owners lose bid to replace controversial quay fence with new wrought-iron barrier
6:00pm Tuesday 10th June 2014 in News
AN appeal to overturn a decision preventing the replacement of a controversial fence at Mistley Quay has failed.
TW Logistics, which owns the quay and put the fence up on health and safety grounds, wanted to replace the current 6ft mesh fence with a wrought iron fence in Venetian red.
Last year Tendring Council refused the application saying it was inappropriate.
Now a planning inspector has dismissed an appeal against the decision.
The inspector’s report said: “Whilst I have found that there would be no undue harm in relation to flood risk and emergency incidents and that there would be public benefits in terms of health and safety this does not outweigh the harm identified to the listed buildings and the conservation area."
Simon Bullimore, chairman of Free the Quay group, said the inspector’s suggestions for a suitable fence were similar to ideas for a post and chain barrier it had already put forward.
TWL were unavailable for comment.