Tide catches out motorists on The Strood again

DRIVERS are again being urged not to cross The Strood when it is covered in water after several cars got stuck again.

Emergency services including the coastguard and the RNLI were called to the causeway just after midday yesterday.

A spokesman for the coastguard said: "Mersea coastguard maintained observation of a number of vehicles trapped on Mersea Island causeway over the high water period.

"Vehicles subsequently made their way safely onto the island as the tide receded."

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:19pm Sat 15 Dec 12

Nevtyler says...

Dick heads
Dick heads Nevtyler
  • Score: 0

6:01pm Sat 15 Dec 12

SOMETHING2SAY says...

AGAIN??? WOTS WRONG WITH THESE LAND LOVERS /
AGAIN??? WOTS WRONG WITH THESE LAND LOVERS / SOMETHING2SAY
  • Score: 0

6:22pm Sat 15 Dec 12

Field Marshal Sprocket says...

I am even more disgusted and appalled than I was last time this happened. When will someone take the bull by the horns and just build a bridge or a tunnel to stop disasters like this happening.
Disgusting.
I am even more disgusted and appalled than I was last time this happened. When will someone take the bull by the horns and just build a bridge or a tunnel to stop disasters like this happening. Disgusting. Field Marshal Sprocket
  • Score: 0

6:27pm Sat 15 Dec 12

Mr Honest says...

Stuck up people who live in Mersea dont want a bridge or a tunnel. Wonder how they would react when theres a serious incident on the Island and Ambulances cant get across. Probably expect the Air Ambulance to come out to them. However saying that, the people who did try to cross the Strood are mindless idiots. Why anyone would want to go to Mersea in the first place is totally beyond me.
Stuck up people who live in Mersea dont want a bridge or a tunnel. Wonder how they would react when theres a serious incident on the Island and Ambulances cant get across. Probably expect the Air Ambulance to come out to them. However saying that, the people who did try to cross the Strood are mindless idiots. Why anyone would want to go to Mersea in the first place is totally beyond me. Mr Honest
  • Score: 0

7:32pm Sat 15 Dec 12

Rad2586 says...

Mr Honest wrote:
Stuck up people who live in Mersea dont want a bridge or a tunnel. Wonder how they would react when theres a serious incident on the Island and Ambulances cant get across. Probably expect the Air Ambulance to come out to them. However saying that, the people who did try to cross the Strood are mindless idiots. Why anyone would want to go to Mersea in the first place is totally beyond me.
This is a bit uncalled for... Just because you live on Mersea and don't want a bridge or tunnel does not make you stuck up. Some people do not want this because it makes Mersea unique. Mersea in a lovely island and many people visit every year.
Something does need to be done to highlight the dangers, something similar to the level crossing lights perhaps and the bill the ones that ignore the warnings for the call out charges for the fire service, coast guard and lifeboat and seaking on the odd occasion.
[quote][p][bold]Mr Honest[/bold] wrote: Stuck up people who live in Mersea dont want a bridge or a tunnel. Wonder how they would react when theres a serious incident on the Island and Ambulances cant get across. Probably expect the Air Ambulance to come out to them. However saying that, the people who did try to cross the Strood are mindless idiots. Why anyone would want to go to Mersea in the first place is totally beyond me.[/p][/quote]This is a bit uncalled for... Just because you live on Mersea and don't want a bridge or tunnel does not make you stuck up. Some people do not want this because it makes Mersea unique. Mersea in a lovely island and many people visit every year. Something does need to be done to highlight the dangers, something similar to the level crossing lights perhaps and the bill the ones that ignore the warnings for the call out charges for the fire service, coast guard and lifeboat and seaking on the odd occasion. Rad2586
  • Score: 0

9:12pm Sat 15 Dec 12

Gabbo_21 says...

Those who get stuck should have to cover some of e recovery costs rather than councils & charity funds.
Those who get stuck should have to cover some of e recovery costs rather than councils & charity funds. Gabbo_21
  • Score: 0

11:29pm Sat 15 Dec 12

greenbroker says...

I thought the Essex University was investing in a project to alleviate this problem? They've probably all retired now.
I thought the Essex University was investing in a project to alleviate this problem? They've probably all retired now. greenbroker
  • Score: 0

9:49am Sun 16 Dec 12

seikothrill says...

Impose a fine of £500 per vehicle rescued and if not paid the vehicle is reduced to scrap.

People would then soon learn and take notice of warning signs
Impose a fine of £500 per vehicle rescued and if not paid the vehicle is reduced to scrap. People would then soon learn and take notice of warning signs seikothrill
  • Score: 0

10:12am Sun 16 Dec 12

totallyfootball says...

An operational sign should be posted at each end and when the water reaches a certain level a warning highlighting the danger. If you get trapped because you ignored the warning then you should perish or pay the costs involved. Can't be cheap to keep launching a lifeboat for airheads?
An operational sign should be posted at each end and when the water reaches a certain level a warning highlighting the danger. If you get trapped because you ignored the warning then you should perish or pay the costs involved. Can't be cheap to keep launching a lifeboat for airheads? totallyfootball
  • Score: 0

8:33pm Sun 16 Dec 12

Longinus says...

Mr Honest wrote:
Stuck up people who live in Mersea dont want a bridge or a tunnel. Wonder how they would react when theres a serious incident on the Island and Ambulances cant get across. Probably expect the Air Ambulance to come out to them. However saying that, the people who did try to cross the Strood are mindless idiots. Why anyone would want to go to Mersea in the first place is totally beyond me.
Great Britain has tunnel - doesn't stop us being an island....
[quote][p][bold]Mr Honest[/bold] wrote: Stuck up people who live in Mersea dont want a bridge or a tunnel. Wonder how they would react when theres a serious incident on the Island and Ambulances cant get across. Probably expect the Air Ambulance to come out to them. However saying that, the people who did try to cross the Strood are mindless idiots. Why anyone would want to go to Mersea in the first place is totally beyond me.[/p][/quote]Great Britain has tunnel - doesn't stop us being an island.... Longinus
  • Score: 0

9:53pm Sun 16 Dec 12

Boris says...

Install a powerful device on a mast in the middle of the Strood to disable all mobile phone signals within a radius of (say) 1000 metres. That way, the idiots can't call 999 and they will just wait quietly for the tide to go down. Nobody will die.
20 years ago, emergency services were never called out like this, and you never heard of problems on the Strood.
Install a powerful device on a mast in the middle of the Strood to disable all mobile phone signals within a radius of (say) 1000 metres. That way, the idiots can't call 999 and they will just wait quietly for the tide to go down. Nobody will die. 20 years ago, emergency services were never called out like this, and you never heard of problems on the Strood. Boris
  • Score: 0

11:02pm Sun 16 Dec 12

greenbroker says...

Boris wrote:
Install a powerful device on a mast in the middle of the Strood to disable all mobile phone signals within a radius of (say) 1000 metres. That way, the idiots can't call 999 and they will just wait quietly for the tide to go down. Nobody will die.
20 years ago, emergency services were never called out like this, and you never heard of problems on the Strood.
You forget that not everybody is perfect like yourself. Humans make irrational decisions. If you was in love and your loved one was on the other side of the Strood, would you be tempted to take a risk in a flood?
[quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: Install a powerful device on a mast in the middle of the Strood to disable all mobile phone signals within a radius of (say) 1000 metres. That way, the idiots can't call 999 and they will just wait quietly for the tide to go down. Nobody will die. 20 years ago, emergency services were never called out like this, and you never heard of problems on the Strood.[/p][/quote]You forget that not everybody is perfect like yourself. Humans make irrational decisions. If you was in love and your loved one was on the other side of the Strood, would you be tempted to take a risk in a flood? greenbroker
  • Score: 0

7:09am Mon 17 Dec 12

G.Speel says...

Make them pay a large fine for this silly and dangerous behaviour. They are so insular that they forget their idiotic ways could put other lives at risk.
Irrational decisions my foot! if your loved one was on the other side of the Strood anyone with a slight morsel of intelligence would wait until the water has gone down before attempting the crossing. Only people with less than their full quota of grey cells would cross at a dangerous time.
Rescue services - charge them heavily for recovery.
Make them pay a large fine for this silly and dangerous behaviour. They are so insular that they forget their idiotic ways could put other lives at risk. Irrational decisions my foot! if your loved one was on the other side of the Strood anyone with a slight morsel of intelligence would wait until the water has gone down before attempting the crossing. Only people with less than their full quota of grey cells would cross at a dangerous time. Rescue services - charge them heavily for recovery. G.Speel
  • Score: 0

9:22am Mon 17 Dec 12

romantic says...

greenbroker wrote:
Boris wrote:
Install a powerful device on a mast in the middle of the Strood to disable all mobile phone signals within a radius of (say) 1000 metres. That way, the idiots can't call 999 and they will just wait quietly for the tide to go down. Nobody will die.
20 years ago, emergency services were never called out like this, and you never heard of problems on the Strood.
You forget that not everybody is perfect like yourself. Humans make irrational decisions. If you was in love and your loved one was on the other side of the Strood, would you be tempted to take a risk in a flood?
Perhaps, but I don´t imagine this was the reason that these people decided to drive across. I have family on Mersea, and anybody who lives on the island knows when the tides are and plans around it.
[quote][p][bold]greenbroker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: Install a powerful device on a mast in the middle of the Strood to disable all mobile phone signals within a radius of (say) 1000 metres. That way, the idiots can't call 999 and they will just wait quietly for the tide to go down. Nobody will die. 20 years ago, emergency services were never called out like this, and you never heard of problems on the Strood.[/p][/quote]You forget that not everybody is perfect like yourself. Humans make irrational decisions. If you was in love and your loved one was on the other side of the Strood, would you be tempted to take a risk in a flood?[/p][/quote]Perhaps, but I don´t imagine this was the reason that these people decided to drive across. I have family on Mersea, and anybody who lives on the island knows when the tides are and plans around it. romantic
  • Score: 0

9:30am Mon 17 Dec 12

romantic says...

This subject has come up a few times over the last months. As Boris says, 20 years ago, if you were stupid enough to drive into the sea, you were left there until the tide had receded and would then have to get somebody out to tow you. There really is no need to send out lifeboats and emergency vehicles.

We have to accept that Mersea is now a place that far more "blow-ins" go to, and that the existing signs are not doing the job. We need a depth sensor in the middle, which connects to signs at each end saying "Current depth: xxx, safe to cross in yyy minutes". The cost of this cannot be more than the cost of calling out emergency services each time. If anybody does still choose to drive through and gets stuck, just leave them there until the tide is down again. Nobody will get washed away or drowned, as far as I know that has never happened. No need to spend millions on a bridge, a real-time sign should do the job, at a fraction of the cost.
This subject has come up a few times over the last months. As Boris says, 20 years ago, if you were stupid enough to drive into the sea, you were left there until the tide had receded and would then have to get somebody out to tow you. There really is no need to send out lifeboats and emergency vehicles. We have to accept that Mersea is now a place that far more "blow-ins" go to, and that the existing signs are not doing the job. We need a depth sensor in the middle, which connects to signs at each end saying "Current depth: xxx, safe to cross in yyy minutes". The cost of this cannot be more than the cost of calling out emergency services each time. If anybody does still choose to drive through and gets stuck, just leave them there until the tide is down again. Nobody will get washed away or drowned, as far as I know that has never happened. No need to spend millions on a bridge, a real-time sign should do the job, at a fraction of the cost. romantic
  • Score: 0

2:24pm Mon 17 Dec 12

mirokou says...

1 water submergence/ tide sensor, cable split, very simplistic red lights at either end.
Cross at your peril, get caught, have 3 points and £60 fine for jumping red-light.
Recover the costs within 12 months as RNLI SAR and Fire Rescue wont have to be called "hopefully" so often
1 water submergence/ tide sensor, cable split, very simplistic red lights at either end. Cross at your peril, get caught, have 3 points and £60 fine for jumping red-light. Recover the costs within 12 months as RNLI SAR and Fire Rescue wont have to be called "hopefully" so often mirokou
  • Score: 0

9:38pm Fri 21 Dec 12

newsgirl29 says...

Mr Honest wrote:
Stuck up people who live in Mersea dont want a bridge or a tunnel. Wonder how they would react when theres a serious incident on the Island and Ambulances cant get across. Probably expect the Air Ambulance to come out to them. However saying that, the people who did try to cross the Strood are mindless idiots. Why anyone would want to go to Mersea in the first place is totally beyond me.
How can you say that - just because people choose to live on Mersea island doesn't make them stuck up. There are all classes of people where ever you live. All true Meresea islanders know the tide tables and work around them. It is normally visitors to the island who can't be bothered to wait and take the risk of not only placing themselves in danger but also other members of the public who attempt to rescue them. You need gates / signals which shut the road or warn motorists at high tide, if anyone flouts these then they should be penalised 3 points and a £60 fine and the money should go towards RNLI which relies on charitable donations.
[quote][p][bold]Mr Honest[/bold] wrote: Stuck up people who live in Mersea dont want a bridge or a tunnel. Wonder how they would react when theres a serious incident on the Island and Ambulances cant get across. Probably expect the Air Ambulance to come out to them. However saying that, the people who did try to cross the Strood are mindless idiots. Why anyone would want to go to Mersea in the first place is totally beyond me.[/p][/quote]How can you say that - just because people choose to live on Mersea island doesn't make them stuck up. There are all classes of people where ever you live. All true Meresea islanders know the tide tables and work around them. It is normally visitors to the island who can't be bothered to wait and take the risk of not only placing themselves in danger but also other members of the public who attempt to rescue them. You need gates / signals which shut the road or warn motorists at high tide, if anyone flouts these then they should be penalised 3 points and a £60 fine and the money should go towards RNLI which relies on charitable donations. newsgirl29
  • Score: 0

3:38pm Sat 22 Dec 12

Hamiltonandy says...

Why do the rescue services need to be called on every occasion? Unless the cars float past the fences or someone is at risk of drowning there is no need for rescue services.
.
I enjoy an occasional trip to mersea and it is so easy to check the tide times and heights. Either the local paper on on a phone with internet access.
Why do the rescue services need to be called on every occasion? Unless the cars float past the fences or someone is at risk of drowning there is no need for rescue services. . I enjoy an occasional trip to mersea and it is so easy to check the tide times and heights. Either the local paper on on a phone with internet access. Hamiltonandy
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree