MALDON & Tiptree were cruelly knocked out of the FA Cup following a late 1-0 defeat to League Two outfit Newport County tonight.

The Jammers made history by featuring in the second round of the world-renowned competition for the first time after causing an upset at Leyton Orient – another League Two side – earlier this month.

While they had hopes of causing another shock result, a last minute Padraig Amond header ensured Newport booked their place in the third round at the part-timers’ expense.

Wayne Brown’s Isthmian North high-flyers, backed by a first-ever sell-out crowd at Park Drive, got the clash off to an encouraging start as Charlee Hughes broke beyond the visitors’ defence and won an early corner.

But the first chance of note was created by Newport as Amond’s tame effort was comfortably gathered by Jammers goalkeeper Ben McNamara after being found by Tristan Abrahams’ cutback.

Newport captain Mark O’Brien then fired over from close range after Josh Sheehan’s initial shot had been blocked.

The Welsh outfit continued to search for a way through and although Abrahams took the ball around the onrushing McNamara soon after, the custodian was able to recover and impressively turn a Matty Dolan strike around the post.

The Jammers responded with the energetic Kojo Awotwi breaking into the penalty area after a neat exchange of passes with Hughes before being thwarted by Exiles goalkeeper Nick Townsend.

However, Newport should have taken the lead when McNamara misjudged a deep Ryan Haynes cross and the ball fell at the feet of Abrahams.

With the goal at his mercy, Abrahams would have expected to have made the breakthrough, but Lance Akins made an impressive goal-line clearance to keep the League Two visitors at bay.

Maldon’s Danny Parish sent a looping effort over the crossbar as both sides went in at the break goalless.

Soon after the interval, Hughes saw a long-range goalbound strike well blocked before narrowly being unable to connect with a teasing cross from former Concord Rangers defender Rob Girdlestone.

With 69 minutes on the clock, Newport defender Kyle Howkins had to be stretchered off following a sickening clash of heads with Hughes.

It was the second enforced substitution by the Exiles as skipper O’Brien had also been forced off soon after the resumption.

Stephane Ngamvoulou came close to scoring a cracker for the hosts with less than 15 minutes remaining.

The midfielder’s long-range curling attempt looked destined for the top corner of the net, but Townsend made an impressive fingertip save to frustrate the Jammers.

Ngamvoulou nearly found a late goal after forcing Townsend into another stop following a fine mazy run.

And those saves proved crucial as Newport broke Maldon hearts as the tie ticked into the first minute of injury time.

Amond was left unmarked at the far post and the striker stooped to head substitute George Nurse’s cross beyond McNamara.

And, as a result, the Jammers saw their extraordinary FA Cup run come to an unfortunate end.