BRANTHAM ATHLETIC’S poor Thurlow Nunn League form continued as they suffered defeat at home to Histon.

The Imps played host to the side directly below them in the premier division table and were hoping to build on Tuesday’s League Cup success against COGGESHALL TOWN.

However, they lost by the odd goal in five, going down 3-2 in a tense contest at the Leisure Centre.

It was their third league defeat in a row and they got off to a bad start after falling behind early on.

Sam Newson levelled before a long-range strike put the visitors in pole position at the break.

Another accurate strike allowed Histon to put a two-goal cushion between the sides before Newson pulled one back with a delicate chip to make it 3-2.

However, that was the end of the scoring and Brantham, who have now dropped to fifth after being leapfrogged by their opponents, must now switch their focus back to knockout action on Tuesday night, when they entertain Bostik League division north side Bury Town in the Suffolk Premier Cup quarter-finals.

Coggeshall brushed themselves down after their cup disappointment by inflicting a 4-0 defeat on Wroxham.

It kept them in second spot and helped keep up the pressure on leaders Felixstowe and Walton United.

Nnamdi Nwachuku gave them a dream start after eight minutes.

Tom Monk doubled the hosts’ lead before Nwachuku pounced again to make it 3-0.

Monk’s second early in the second half put the gloss on a comfortable home victory.

WIVENHOE TOWN had been due to travel to Great Yarmouth.

However, following heavy rain, an early decision was made to call the game off on Friday afternoon.

The Dragons had been looking forward to playing and were in upbeat mood, after their midweek success against Haverhill Borough.

It was the club’s first victory in four months and therefore their first since manager Chris Hudson took charge in late November.

FC CLACTON had also been due to play on the Norfolk coast but their match at Gorleston was postponed following a 9am inspection.

STANWAY ROVERS were also left without a game following the postponement of their match at Walsham-le-Willows.

Coincidentally, the sides had met in a League Cup quarter-final on Tuesday night when Jordan Palmer’s first-half penalty proved sufficient for a 1-0 victory.

Rovers are seventh in the table.

In division one, LITTLE OAKLEY were the first north Essex side in action as they had a 2.15pm kick-off at high-flying Swaffham Town and drew 2-2.

Lee Barrett and Jamie Beecham scored the Acorns’ goals.

BRAINTREE TOWN RESERVES lost 2-1 at Downham Town while HALSTEAD TOWN’S home match with title-chasing Framlingham Town was postponed after a 10.30am inspection.

Out-of-form HOLLAND FC had been due to be at home to Diss Town.

However, that fixture was called off late on by the match referee.

Braintree host AFC Sudbury Reserves on Tuesday while Holland are away to Leiston Reserves.