KEVIN Coyle was unable to cap his big day with a positive result as FC CLACTON slumped to a 5-0 defeat at home to Godmanchester Rovers.

The long-serving playmaker was making his 400th Seasiders appearance in Saturday’s Thurlow Nunn League premier division contest at the Rush Green Bowl.

The afternoon started well, with both sets of players forming a guard of honour and Clacton co-owner Stephen Andrews making a special presentation to Coyle.

However, things went downhill from there and Godmanchester went ahead in the first few minutes after an unfortunate own goal from Steve Downes.

A corner spun off his head at the near post and into the net.

In-form Rovers doubled their lead soon after the half-hour mark with a shot from inside the box.

It nearly became three early in the second half but Luke Avenell dived to his left to keep out a hotly-disputed penalty.

However, Godmanchester stretched their lead soon after with a brilliant long-range effort that sailed into the far corner.

Clacton’s miserable afternoon was compounded by a second yellow card for Jake Plane and Rovers added two more in the latter stages to run out comfortable 5-0 winners.

The result means Clacton are yet to pick up a point or score a goal in 2018.

Elsewhere in the premier division, there’s no stopping title-chasing COGGESHALL TOWN.

The Seedgrowers boosted their hopes of top spot with a thumping 6-0 victory at Ely City.

Ross Wall put them ahead midway through the first half and Nnamdi Nwachuku’s penalty soon made it 2-0.

Luke Wilson made it three on the stroke of half-time and Conor Hubble stretched the lead on 54 minutes.

Nwachuku then added two more in four minutes to complete his hat-trick and a resounding victory.

Coggeshall closed the gap on leaders Felixstowe - without a game on Saturday - to 15 points.

They have six games in hand on the Suffolk side.

BRANTHAM ATHLETIC, one of the other sides in the mix in the top four, lost 3-2 on Haverhill Rovers’ 3G pitch at New Croft.

After falling behind, Sam Newson quickly made it all-square from close range.

The hosts went back in front and then made it 3-1, before Craig Hughes slotted home a penalty after a foul on Jack Smith.

Brantham have dropped to fourth after being leapfrogged by Stowmarket Town - 5-1 victors against Thetford Town.

STANWAY ROVERS, another side in form, were also on their travels, at Hadleigh United, and drew 2-2.

Kem Izzet’s men were one-down at the break but turned the match on its head thanks to second-half goals from Daniel Scott and Jordan Palmer.

However, the hosts scored again to secure a share of the spoils.

WIVENHOE TOWN had been due to visit Gorleston but the match was postponed after a 9.30am pitch inspection at Plantation Park.

The Dragons have a home date with Haverhill Borough on Wednesday night.

Brantham and Coggeshall are set to meet in an eye-catching League Cup quarter-final on Tuesday.

Stanway host Waltham-le-Willows at the same stage of the competition, also on Tuesday.