BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT suffered heartache after conceding a last-gasp winner in tonight’s 2-1 defeat at Wingate and Finchley.

It looked like Tom Rothery’s side were on course for a hard-earned point after Josh Gould cancelled out Rob Laney’s opener.

Laney put his side ahead midway through the first half but Gould restored parity on 62 minutes, heading home Aaron Condon’s free-kick.

However, Wingate rallied deep in stoppage time and grabbed their dramatic winner through Ben Pattie.

It was Rothery’s first Bostik League premier division defeat since being appointed as James Webster’s successor.

The R’s are back at the Taydal Stadium on Saturday for a home match against Folkestone Invicta.

Elsewhere, MALDON AND TIPTREE put their FA Trophy exit behind them as they returned to Bostik League division north action and defeated Brentwood Town 4-1.

Johnville Renee gave them a sixth-minute lead and Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe soon doubled the Jammers' lead.

Joshua Pollard’s own goal early in the second half gave Brentwood hope, but Pollard then scored at the right end ten minutes later before Nicholas Akoto’s late fourth completed a comfortable victory for Kevin Horlock’s men.

WITHAM TOWN’S encouraging form continued with a 1-1 draw at Hertford Town.

Correy Davidson’s goal put them in the driving seat at half-time but Mark Summers made it all-square on 68 minutes.

Hertford’s Tommy Wade had been sent off on the stroke of half-time.

HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS bowed out of the Essex Senior Cup after losing 2-1 at home to Bowers and Pitsea.

Jamie Dicks and John Easterford netted in the first half for Bowers before substitute Juan Luque halved the deficit on 63 minutes.

However, it proved the end of the scoring and, to complete a disappointing night, Luke Callander was sent off eight minutes from time.

Bowers will now host Chelmsford City in the fourth round.

WIVENHOE TOWN produced a spirited performance but lost 2-1 at Saffron Walden Town, in the Thurlow Nunn League.

Harry Willoughby gave them an early lead, before the hosts turned the match on its head with two second-half goals.