WITHAM Town lost to a strong Bury Town side 2-0 at the Simarco Stadium despite putting up a good performance against Pitching In Isthmian League division north's form team, writes JIM PURTILL.

Bury won their eighth successive match thanks to two moments of quality finishing by striker Cemal Ramadan and a good all-round team performance.

Witham were completely dominant in their win against Enfield last week and they took the game to the Bury side in a confident manner.

Within six minutes, a rampaging run from defence by captain Liam Whipps on the left resulted in Josh Osude shooting from a dangerous position.

His effort was turned away for a corner by Bury goalkeeper Charlie Beckwith.

Witham moved the ball forward quickly and the pace of their attack put Bury on the back foot.

In the space of 15 minutes, Freddie King fired a fierce shot over for the hosts, Osude almost wriggled through the defence to score and striker Khris Oti was fouled as Witham looked likely to open their account.


Witham seemed to be stifling their highly-rated opponents but Bury gradually weathered the early storm.

The measured passing style of the visitors became more influential as they settled into their rhythm.

A good Bury passing move culminated in the first goal on the half hour mark.

Ramadan found space and in typical fashion, escaped his marker to finish the move from close range.

It was a moment of inspiration and although it was against the run of play, it was a significant factor in the game’s subsequent development.

Just before half-time, Osude nearly restored parity but Witham’s failure to score when they were ahead would prove decisive.

The onus was on Witham to attack in the second half but the Bury defence was difficult to break down.


In the 61st minute a goalline clearance by Anton Matthews prevented a second Bury goal.

Two minutes later, Andrew Sesay almost equalised but Beckwith punched the ball away under pressure.

Freddie King and Osude proved effective for Witham as they forced a number of corners but found it impossible to find a cutting edge.

Goalkeeper Harry Fairs made a great save from a Luke Brown shot in the 71st minute and a better one from a Ramadan header, two minutes later.

Bury’s lead was extended in the 78th minute when the irrepressible Ramadan headed the ball past Fairs from a corner. A near-post flick found him lurking at the back post and he was the first to react for his eighth goal against Witham in ten matches.

Witham were full of energy and endeavour and they made Bury work hard for their victory.

Witham face another testing fixture when Bowers and Pitsea visit the Simarco Stadium on Saturday.