BRAINTREE Town played out a 1-1 draw with Slough Town at the Rare Breed Meat Stadium on Saturday, writes DAVID WARD.

It was a highly competitive and entertaining game with both sides determined to play football all afternoon, which is often a rare occurrence at the this level nowadays.

In reality it was the proverbial game of two halves with the visitors in the ascendancy in the first 45 minutes but the second half saw a much more lively and positive all-round effort from the Iron.

Angelo Harrop's side dominated for long periods and the only disappointment in the 815 crowd was that they failed to capitalise on their territorial advantage.


Harrop said: "I think in fairness as draw was probably the right and fair result over the whole 90 minutes.

"We knew they were a good footballing side and have good pass and movement with some good players with decent individual skills. 

"I felt in the first half we weren't playing particularly well and allowed them too much of the ball and we never really got our passing game going.

"The second half we were a totally different side and we played some really good, attacking football and created several chances but they like us have a strong defence and at times it was hard to break them down."


The second-half Iron improvement was down to a half-time tactical change with Reggie Lambe coming off the bench having been a substitute in the previous two games.

"He came on and help make all the difference in midfield for us and we were far more positive and threatening every time we went forward," added Harrop.

"Full marks to the player to come on and perform so well because he's been on the bench and I know players always want to play and he's marked his time and comes on does the job - little wonder he won the player of the match award."

Harrop also explained to fans: "We have built up expectations now and everyone rightly wants to see us play our attractive football and win every game but of course it doesn't always work out like.


"It was glad too again in this match to hear the fans get behind the team for the whole game and it does make a difference.

"We know every game is a hard one at this level but we need to keep our heads, keep our confidence and continue what we have been doing in recent games."

Braintree went ahead on 58 minutes after some devastating attacking down the left caused panic in the visitors' defence.

Good work by Shaq Coulthirst and Tom Blackwell saw the ball finally squeezed over the line in a goalmouth scramble by Aaron Blair for his fourth goal in as many games.

Slough though remained lively and equalised in the 74th minute through substitute Trae Cook-Appiah, much against the run of play.

Despite this setback the Iron kept pushing forward and Blackwell, Dominic Odusanya, Baris Altintop and Coulthirst all went so close to snatching that crucial winning goal but some determined defending kept them at bay, until the final whistle.

Harrop said: "We go again on Tuesday when we entertain Dartford and I'll be looking for a repeat of the second-half performance today to maintain our play-off push."