BRAINTREE TOWN'S winless run continued when they lost 2-1 at home to Dulwich Hamlet at the Dunmow Group Stadium.

The Iron suffered their seventh successive defeat in all competitions, after losing out in their latest National League South clash.

Darren McQueen gave Dulwich an eighth-minute lead following an error by keeper Billy Johnson.

And they doubled their lead through Quade Taylor, who rifled home from inside the box after the ball fell kindly to him.

The big plus point for Braintree was the outstanding return to the club of striker Tom Derry, who had an excellent game.

He scored a brilliant second-half goal and was only denied a certain penalty equaliser by referee Aji Ajibola when his right foot shot appeared to hit the arm of a defender.

Braintree boss Ryan Maxwell said: "It was a disastrous and calamitous start to the game and immediately gave us a mountain to climb.

"You simply can't make such schoolboy errors at this level and expect to get away with it.

"To make matters worse, and again it shows our naivety at times, we allow them to break clear again on 32 minutes with the smaller sized of our players marking the tall opposition players that eventually led them scoring a second through the same player.

"These are a lesson we have to learn and learn quickly.

"We changed things around at half time and I think it paid off because we began to look like a good team going forward and we duly pulled a goal back on 71 minutes thanks to Derry's run and tenacity and from then on we were on the ascendancy."

BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT were beaten 2-1 at Margate, in their latest Pitching In Isthmian League Premier match.

First-half goals from Daniel Thompson and Ryan Palmer put the hosts in command.

And although Eren Kinali pulled a goal back in the 71st minute, it was not enough to salvage a draw for the R's.

MALDON AND TIPTREE suffered a second successive defeat after they lost 5-3 at Aveley, in division one north.

The Jammers found themselves three goals down at half-time, before Scott Kemp pulled a goal back after the break.

Aveley made it 4-1 and although Shomari Barnwell reduced the deficit again, Aveley made it 5-2.

Kemp pulled another goal back for Maldon before the end but they fell to defeat.

HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS lost 3-1 at home to Grays Athletic, at Scraley Road.

Swifts were 2-0 down at half-time and although Jack Adlington-Pile pulled a goal back just after the hour, the visitors wrapped up victory with a third near the end.

WITHAM TOWN drew 1-1 with visitors COGGESHALL TOWN, with Sam Bantick netting for the hosts.

In the Essex Senior League, FC CLACTON lost 2-0 at Walthamstow while STANWAY ROVERS drew 1-1 with White Ensign.

WIVENHOE TOWN bowed out of the FA Vase after losing 4-1 on penalties, after their tie drew 1-1 at Stansted.

In Thurlow Nunn League first division south, HARWICH AND PARKESTON drew 1-1 at Frenford.

HALSTEAD TOWN thrashed Barkingside 5-0 but HOLLAND FC lost 4-3 at Wormley Rovers.