WIVENHOE TOWN sprung a surprise after beating neighbours STANWAY ROVERS 2-1 at the M.E.C Stadium to progress to the FA Vase first round.

Karl Swanborough scored twice as the Dragons reached the first round for the first time in seven years, at the expense of their Essex Senior League opponents.

The Thurlow Nunn League first division south team now await the first-round draw, which takes place on Monday at 1pm - games will be played weekend of October 23.

Stanway went ahead from a low free-kick into the front post that was flicked past goalkeeper Aaron Rae.

But Wivenhoe equalised when Swanborough netted with a direct free-kick from the edge of the area which flew into the top corner.

And Swanborough grabbed Wivenhoe's winner when he headed in a long throw.

BRAINTREE TOWN were thrashed 6-0 at Eastbourne Borough in National League South.

But for the outstanding performance from keeper Preston Edwards, the hosts' winning margin would have been much wider.

Braintree fell behind after 19 minutes with the hosts' swift attack down the right seeing Charlie Walker left completely unmarked in the penalty box to tap the ball home.

Five minutes later the game was effectively over as a contest when Bertram-Cooper unceremoniously upended a home forward in the area to concede a penalty and receive a straight red card.

Braintree held out until half-time but Eastbourne scored a further four times in the second half and only Edwards' fine display prevented the scoreline from being worse.

Braintree boss Ryan Maxwell wrote on Twitter: 'Won’t shy away from that result. Yes referee shouldn’t of sent our lad off and given a penalty But that doesn’t excuse the result.

'We apologise to our travelling supporters and take this on the chin and deal with it head on @EBFCTheSport deserved the result 100% and it was fair'.

Ten-man BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT claimed an impressive 2-0 victory at Cray Wanderers, in Pitching In Isthmian League Premier.

Ken Feyi in each half and Tom Austin's side produced a good defensive performance, following Billy Wales' red card after just eight minutes.

In division one north, HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS were 3-2 winners over MALDON AND TIPTREE in their derby match, at the Aspen Waite Arena.

Swifts took a 16th-minute lead through Andrew Fennell but Shomari Barnwell equalised for the Jammers, just before half-time.

Dylan Logan restored Heybridge's lead early in the second half before Charlee Hughes levelled things up for the visitors, 19 minutes from time.

However, Daniel Walker netted a 90th-minute winner for Heybridge, to secure Steve Tilson his first victory as Swifts boss.

In Thurlow Nunn League first division south, HARWICH AND PARKESTON drew 1-1 with Haverhill Borough.

Greg Rodger's long-range strike secured LITTLE OAKLEY a 1-1 draw with St Margaretsbury, in the Essex Senior League.

Acorns boss Matt Carmichael wrote on Twitter: 'Hard to be disappointed when you create that many chances. Positives as always to take. But should of been a comfortable afternoon for us @LittleOakleyFC. Credit to @StMargaretsbury who clung on to a point and could of nicked it. Need to be more ruthless....story of the season.'