BRAINTREE TOWN bowed out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle after they were beaten 2-1 at home by Billericay Town.

The Iron's woeful FA Cup saga continued at the Dunmow Group Stadium when they conceded a goal four minutes from time to go out of the competition in the second qualifying round, leaving manager Ryan Maxwell an extremely disappointed and annoyed boss.

Iron fans in the 302 crowd will feel their side can have no complaints though at losing because the visitors showed more pace, commitment and energy throughout the whole 90 minutes and in truth fully deserved to be in the next round.

Braintree’s goal after 15 minutes, a penalty won and scored by Femi Akinwande, came somewhat against the run of play, and the play continued to run in Billericay’s favour for much of the game.

They equalised in the 35th minute when Darren Foxley turned in Norman Wabo's cross before George Wind grabbed Billericay's winner.

A frustrated Maxwell summed up the afternoon: "It was the worse performance from the team since I have been manager here and we can have no excuses for that and we won't be seeing a repeat either.

"We lacked our D & A and there was no fighting for every ball and it was a totally lacklustre display.

"We were lucky to go ahead so early when Femi Akinwande scored from the penalty spot after being fouled.

"It gave us a false sense of security though and we never really took hold of the game from then onwards which we should have done.

"We must learn and learn quickly about game management which is what the opposition did mainly through their experience.

"Overall though I thought the game was always going to end in a draw after they equalised on 36 minutes because it always had that feel about it.

"But really for much of the game we weren't at the races if you like."

"Every player selected has to do his bit, work hard even when things are not going right like in this game and keep going and not giving up.

"We've seen what they are capable of but in this game they were lethargic and lack lustre and there's no excuse for that."

Essex Senior League side LITTLE OAKLEY were narrowly beaten 2-1 at National League South side Chelmsford City, as their memorable run in this season's competition came to an end.

Goals from Charlie Sheringham and Dave Winfield before Luke Mayhew grabbed a late consolation for the Acorns.

Writing on Twitter, Little Oakley boss Matt Carmichael said: "Couldn't be prouder of my players today. Left it all on the pitch and almost nicked a replay in the last second. Credit to @OfficialClarets as a club today. Treated us with respect all day. An unbelievable journey for us all".

In the Essex Senior League, STANWAY ROVERS won 2-0 at Ilford while FC CLACTON were 3-1 winners at Redbridge, thanks to goals from Teddy Collis, Lee Clowsley and Mekhi McKenzie.

In Thurlow Nunn first division south, WIVENHOE TOWN lost 2-1 at Frenford and HARWICH AND PARKESTON were beaten 3-1 at home by Barkingside and HALSTEAD TOWN were thrashed 4-0 by May and Baker.

But HOLLAND FC were victorious, winning 2-1 winners over Cornard United.

In Pitching In Isthmian League division north, HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS drew 2-2 with Aveley.

Goals from Lionel Ainsworth and Andrew Fennell gave Swifts a 2-0 lead but Aveley came back to take a point, thanks to goals from Alex Akrofi and Manny Ogunrinde salvaged the hosts a point.