NEW signings Alan Judge and Freddie Sears were both on target as Colchester United ran out 3-0 winners in their opening pre-season friendly at National League South side Billericay Town tonight.

Trialist Richard Kone also netted a fine solo goal for Hayden Mullins' side in front of a crowd of more than 500, at New Lodge.

Colchester, backed by plenty of their fans who had made the short trip down the A12 to watch their team in action for the first time in months, fielded different teams in each half.

with new signings Cameron Coxe and Frank Nouble, who skippered the side, starting in the opening period.

The U’s also gave an opportunity for former Watford youngster Bayli Spencer-Adams to make an impression.

Free agent Spencer-Adams, 20, who is a Guyana international, was also formerly on the books of Arsenal, West Ham and Spurs as a youth-team player.

The U’s lined up in a 3-5-2 formation in the first half, with Spencer-Adams a left sided centre-back and Coxe and Junior Tchamadeu the two wing-backs.

This was Colchester’s first friendly of the pre-season period and they had only returned less than a fortnight earlier.

But the contest was nevertheless played out at a good tempo, with both sides eager to make their mark.

Billericay came closest to taking a ninth-minute lead on the artificial surface at New Lodge when Darren Foxley’s free-kick from just outside the area flashed just wide of Dean Gerken’s post.

But Colchester then registered their first meaningful effort on target in the 17th minute through Kwame Poku, who weaved his way into the Billericay area before blasting a shot wide of the far post.

Eastman headed a corner over the bar soon after for the U’s but at the other end, former Spurs youngster Charlie Lee went equally close with a header from a similar set piece for the hosts.

A heavy challenge by Michael Chambers on Brendan Wiredu resulted in the Billericay centre-back being shown a yellow card and the U’s midfielder needing treatment.

But the hosts came close to taking the lead in the 36th minute through Toyosi Olusanya, who drove purposefully towards the Colchester defence from midway inside his own half before firing into the side netting.

Colchester forced a save from Billericay’s trialist keeper a minute later when Kwame Poku drilled a low shot towards goal, after good play by Tchamadeu had set up the chance.

Billericay opened up the Colchester defence again on the stroke of half-time when one of their trialists fired over when sent through on goal, as the first half finished goal-less.

Colchester fielded a completely different side in the second half, with new signings Judge, Sears, Cole Skuse and Luke Chambers all starting.

Trialist Kone, a young forward formerly of non-league side Athletic Newham.

They lined up again in a 3-5-2 system, with Chambers, Miles Welch-Hayes and Tommy Smith the three centre-backs, with Hannant right wing-back and Ryan Clampin the left wing-back.

Colchester started the second half well and came close to taking a 55th-minute lead when Kone’s looping effort came back off the woodwork, from Clampin’s pass.

Judge warmed the gloves of the Billericay keeper soon after with a fierce shot and then did similar soon after, as the U’s pressed for an opener.

And it was third time lucky for the former Ipswich midfielder who broke the deadlock in the 66th minute with a fine low strike from the edge of the area which flew past the Billericay goalkeeper and into the net.

More magic from Judge almost created a second goal for Colchester a couple of minutes later when youngster Gene Kennedy connected with the Irishman’s fine weighted through ball at the far post, only to be denied by the goalkeeper.

Kone forced another save from the Billericay keeper following a driving run towards the home defence.

And Kone did his chances of impressing no harm at all when he scored a fine individual goal with 15 minutes remaining, collecting possession midway inside the Billericay half before advancing towards goal and drilling a low shot past the keeper.

Kone went close again with another low shot soon after and Sears lifted a shot over the bar, as Colchester went on the hunt for more goals before the end.

A third came in the 87th minute when Sears tucked the ball home from close range, after Kone had picked him out in the area, as Colchester ran out winners.

COLCHESTER UNITED (first half): Gerken, Cracknell, Eastman, Spencer-Adams, Wiredu, Chilvers, Coxe, Tchamadeu, Poku, Nouble, Stagg.

Second half: George, Chambers, Smith, Welch-Hayes, Skuse, Kennedy, Clampin, Hannant, Judge, Sears, Kone.