JOHN Akinde marked his return from injury with a goal as Colchester United's under-21s lost 6-3 at home to QPR, writes BRIAN WALLER.

Akinde, who has been sidelined since mid-September with a foot injury, netted just before the hour, as the U's youngsters' losing run in the Professional Development League continued at Park Drive.

Colchester went ahead when Kaan Bennett scored after two minutes, following an under-hit backpass by QPR right-back Arkell Jude-Boyd.

T’aizo Marcel Dilaver nearly netted with a clever backheel while at the other end, Nathan Jeche was denied by keeper Harrison Chamberlain.

READ MORE: League Two sides make managerial announcements

Akinde doubled Colchester's lead on 28 minutes when he fired into the net, from Kennedy Mupomba's cross.

Alex Aoraha's effort smacked against the bar for QPR, before they scored three quick goals.

A cross from the right was turned into the net by Rafferty Pedder and after Frankie Edwards had headed a U's corner wide, the visitors made it 2-2.

Lorent Talla scored with a shot that took a bit of a deflection and bobbled in.

Gazette: John Akinde

And the R’s were ahead on 41 minutes when Micah Anthony evaded a tackle before scoring.

Colchester fought back and Ryan Lowe’s drive was well saved by keeper Matteo Salamon, then the keeper was blocking in a crowded goalmouth with an upstretched arm.

Akinde was replaced at half-time by Bayan Aman and QPR scored again on 53 minutes through Casey Shann, who got in down the left and fired in from a deflected shot.

Neat passing got Rangers in again down the right and Pedder's shot shot went in off the post, for 5-2.

READ MORE: Colchester United outline extent of Owen Goodman injury

A nasty challenge then saw Aman and Aoraha crash into one another.

A lengthy delay ensued with the visiting player carried off on a stretcher with a serious leg injury and he was booked for his troubles.

Colchester pulled a goal back on 86 minutes when Bennett cut in from the right and scored with his left foot, after Mupomba had raced away down the right.

Ronny Nelson was then unlucky to see his superb left-foot free-kick smash against the bar, for Colchester.

But after a good run down the right and under pressure from the U’s defender, Kieran Petrie wrapped up QPR's win with a cross shot, deep into stoppage time.

Colchester United U21: Harrison Chamberlain, Matt Yates, Jet Dyer, Ryan Lowe, Frankie Edwards (sub Bailey Berry), Ronny Nelson, T’aizo Marcel Dilaver (sub Kaleel Green), trialist, Kennedy Mupomba, Kaan Bennett, John Akinde (sub Bayan Aman). Subs (not used): Max Jolliffe, Jack Sexton.