MATTY Etherington suffered defeat in his first game as Colchester United's new permanent head coach after his side were beaten 2-0 at League Two leaders Stockport County this afternoon.

Goals either side of half-time from Kyle Wootton and substitute Callum Camps put the Hatters in control at Edgeley Park and it was a lead they did not relinquish, as the hosts claimed an impressive 12th league win on the spin.

There were positives for Colchester to take from their match but in-form Stockport ultimately proved too good for Etherington's side.

Etherington made one change to his Colchester starting line-up.

Joe Taylor was absent due to being on international duty with Wales under-21s, with Jay Mingi replacing him in the team.

Colchester made a solid start but were perhaps fortunate not to concede a 12th-minute penalty when Odin Bailey went down under Jay Mingi’s challenge in the area.

And the Hatters registered their first shot on target when Kyle Wootton found space 25 yards from goal before trying his luck with a low effort that landed straight in the arms of goalkeeper Owen Goodman.

But Colchester came agonisingly close to taking the lead, just before the half hour mark.

Samson Tovide's brilliant backheel bounced back off the crossbar, after some mesmerising wing play by Jayden Fevrier had picked him out in the area.

Stockport were largely restricted to long-range efforts on goal and as the first half progressed, the U’s began to find their shooting boots.

Hatters goalkeeper Ben Hinchliffe saved from both Cameron McGeehan and Noah Chilvers from similar range but the hosts squandered a glorious chance to take the lead six minutes before the break when Will Collar sent a free header wide of the target from close range, after being left alone in the U's area.


And Colchester eventually fell behind in the 44th minute.

The goal won't win any prizes but Wootton scrambled the ball home from near the goal-line under pressure from U’s defender Zach Mitchell from Macauley Southam-Hales’ delivery, after Ryan Croasdale’s pass had dissected the visitors’ defence.

The goal just before half-time was perhaps a little harsh on Colchester, given that they had been a competitive force in the first half.

But they went in at the break behind and Stockport doubled their lead, in the opening minute of the second half.

Camps fired home a fine first-time right-foot shot from just inside the area from Southam-Hales' corner with his first touch, after coming on as a half-time substitute for Akil Wright.

Colchester tried hard to find a route back into the contest and they almost got one just after the hour.


Samson Tovide was denied at point-blank range by Hinchliffe, after a fine Colchester break resulted in a dangerous Chilvers' cross being delivered into the six-yard box.

Colchester made a double change with 20 minutes to go, bringing on Tom Hopper and Bradley Ihionvien.

Ihionvien immediately had a glimpse of goal in the area after McGeehan had made a fine midfield tackle but the U's youngster disappointingly drilled wide of the target, under pressure from a defender.


To their credit, Colchester kept pressing for a route back into the game but they were unable to break through a solid Stockport defence, as they lost for the first time in five league matches.

MATCH FACTS: COLCHESTER UNITED: Goodman, Greenidge (sub Ihionvien, 71), Dallison, Mitchell, Egbo, McGeehan, Mingi (sub Cooper, 83), Read, Fevrier, Chilvers, Tovide (sub Hopper, 71).

Substitutes (not used): Kelleher, Terry, Jay, Smith.

Stockport County: Hinchcliffe, Touray, Wright, Horsfall, Collar, Pye, Croasdale (sub Knoyle, 83), Wootton (sub Powell, 90), Southam-Hales, Olaofe, Bailey (sub Madden, 83)

Substitutes (not used): Smith, Byrne, Richardson.

Goals: Stockport: Wootton (44), Camps (46).

Bookings: Colchester: Tovide (foul, 66). Stockport: Bailey (foul, 35), Pye (foul, 60), Touray (foul, 83).

Red card: None.

Referee: Andy Davies.

Attendance: 9,664 (263 U's fans).