THE U's tasted defeat on the opening day of the Sky Bet League Two season despite coming from behind twice against Northampton at the Sixfields Stadium.

Freddie Sears and Noah Chilvers scored for Colchester but it was not enough to earn their side a point as Ryan Haynes netted in the 88th minute to make sure the U's left empty handed.

The U's had the first dangerous effort of the match as Luke Hannant forced a good save from Lee Burge in the 14th minute of the match.

However, that was the best moment for the U's for much of the first half as Northampton proved to be the better team.

The Home side took a deserved lead in the 26th minute as Sam Hoskins fired past Sam Hornby after being played through on goal by Danny Hylton.

Colchester improved after going behind and started to build some more consistent attacks, and they dragged themselves level just before half-time.

In the 40th minute, Noah Chilvers was brought down in the box after beating his defender with a brilliant bit of skill.

Freddie Sears stepped up to take the penalty and converted, hammering his effort into the top left corner of the goal. The goalkeeper did get a touch but it was not strong enough to deny the U's of their equaliser.

Gazette: Freddie Sears scores from the spot. Photo: Richard Blaxall / PhoteriorFreddie Sears scores from the spot. Photo: Richard Blaxall / Photerior

The second half continued in much the same vein of the first, there was very little love between the two sides as tackles went flying in.

Northampton started the better again, but were unable to break down the U's resilient defence.

The U's were doing well to hold off Northampton, but they just needed a bit more composure when they actually got the ball and tried to get on the attack.

Wayne Brown made his first changes in the 68th minute as Frank Nouble and Cameron Coxe replaced John Akinde and Ryan Clampin.

Nouble almost made an instant impact as he tried to get onto the end of a cross from Luke Chambers. The striker was close but the defender did well to block the U's man having an effort on goal.

It proved pivotal as a minute later Northampton had a penalty after a handball in the box. Substitute Coxe was booked during the U's protests.

In the same goal that Sears fired in during the first-half, Hoskins was able to do the same doubling his tally for the day and restoring the home side's advantange.

The lead did not last long as Nouble would prove to make a difference. The attacker took on two defenders as he charged into the box with the ball.

Nouble then passed to Chilvers who fired at goal. His finish lacked power but was right in the corner, kissing the post as it went in bringing the U's back level.

Both teams were looking for a winner with neither content with a point, but it was Northampton who struck late on. A cross was fired across the U's box and it rolled all the way through to substitute Ryan Haynes who hammered the ball into the roof of the net.

The U's had a chance to get back into the game as six minutes were added on.

Chilvers should have equalised late on as he as one-on-one with Lee Burge, but the Northampton goalkeeper pulled out a remarkable save to deny him.