COLCHESTER United have just completed an eventful season in League Two.

There have been plenty of ups and downs for the U's, as they finished in 15th place in the division.

Photographers Steve Brading and Richard Blaxall have been on hand to capture every kick of Colchester's season, from Carlisle United on the first day of the season to the final-day game of Hartlepool United.

Here's a look back at the season via a selection of the many superb images they captured, as Colchester experienced another rollercoaster ride.



Colchester started the season with a 0-0 draw at Carlisle United, before losing 1-0 at Birmingham City in the Carabao Cup and then by the same scoreline at home to Northampton Town.

Hayden Mullins' side scored their first goal of the new campaign when Freddie Sears netted a late, late penalty equaliser in a 1-1 home draw against Mansfield Town.

Colchester went on to secure four points from a possible six in their next two games in August, winning 2-1 at Oldham Athletic before drawing 1-1 at Rochdale.

Steve Brading's picture shows Sears slotting away the last-gasp spot-kick for the U's, against Mansfield.



Colchester had to wait ten days before playing their first league game in September.

It was worth the wait though, as Hayden Mullins' side claimed a dramatic 3-2 win at Barrow.

Tom Eastman's late winner secured the U's victory at Holker Street, after Freddie Sears and Alan Judge had netted earlier in the match for the visitors.

However, the match was overshadowed after Colchester goalkeeper Shamal George suffered alleged racism during the first half of the League Two match.

Barrow and Cumbria Police took no further action over the alleged racism because of "insufficient evidence".

Colchester went on to lose 1-0 at home to Crawley Town and draw 0-0 at Swindon Town, in September.

Richard Blaxall's picture shows George walking off the pitch with team-mate Noah Chilvers after the win at Barrow.



THE month did not start well for Colchester, with back-to-back 2-0 defeats against Salford City and Tranmere Rovers.

But the U's chalked up their first home win of the season with a 1-0 triumph over Harrogate Town before drawing 1-1 with Bristol Rovers.

Colchester then suffered back-to-back defeats against Port Vale and Sutton United but then beat fellow strugglers Scunthorpe United 2-1.

Early goals from Freddie Sears and loanee Armando Dobra helped the U's make a fine start against the Iron.

And although Harry Davis pulled a late goal back for the visitors, Colchester claimed victory.

Steve Brading's picture shows Dobra celebrating his fine strike against Scunthorpe.



ALL eyes were on Colchester's FA Cup first-round tie at AFC Sudbury at the start of November.

The U's ran out 4-0 winners at their non-league neighbours in a Friday night game in front of the live BBC2 cameras.

Goals from Brendan Wiredu, Freddie Sears, Sylvester Jasper and Shawn McCoulsky sealed Hayden Mullins' side a comfortable win.

Richard Blaxall's picture shows Colchester's players celebrating Jasper's goal, the third of the night for the U's.

Colchester were beaten 1-0 at Stevenage in their next league game but bounced back with a fine 3-1 win over Exeter City, at the JobServe Community Stadium.

A 1-1 home draw with Newport County followed, before the U's finished November with a 2-1 win at Swindon Town in the Papa John's Trophy thanks to Luke Chambers' brace.



THE month began with Colchester United losing 2-1 to Wigan Athletic to bow out of the FA Cup at the second-round stage.

The U's then drew 0-0 at Bradford City and then lost 3-0 to Walsall, as the worrying league form continued in the final weeks of 2021.

Steve Brading's picture shows a rainbow forming over the JobServe Community Stadium, during the Wigan cup game.



THE first few weeks of 2022 proved to be busy and eventful for Colchester, as they played out seven matches in January.

The U's suffered five successive defeats to Crawley Town (3-1), Sutton United (2-1, in the Papa John's Trophy), Forest Green (2-0), Barrow (1-0) and Sutton (3-2) again.

Colchester's defeat at Sutton came after Will Randall-Hurren scored a last-gasp winner for the hosts.

It was a desperate defeat, with Richard Blaxall's picture depicting the despair felt by U's pair Brendan Wiredu and Tom Dallison after the final whistle.

It ultimately led to Hayden Mullins being relieved of his position as head coach, with Wayne Brown taking interim charge.

Brown led Colchester to a 3-0 victory at Salford City in his first game in temporary charge before the month finished with a dramatic 1-1 draw with Swindon Town, when the U's battled back to claim an unlikely point with only nine men.



THE month started for the U's with a 1-1 home draw with Rochdale - and Alan Judge's spectacular strike which won the Sky Bet League Two Goal of the Month award.

A morale-boosting 1-0 triumph at Leyton Orient then followed thanks to Freddie Sears' early goal, with Richard Blaxall's picture showing Wayne Brown's delight at the final whistle at Brisbane Road.

A 2-1 midweek defeat at promotion-chasing Mansfield Town followed and then a 2-2 home draw with Carlisle United and then disappointed losses at the hands of Northampton Town (3-0) and Hartlepool United (2-1).

A 1-1 home draw against fellow strugglers Oldham Athletic completed a busy month for the U's, as they battled against the drop.



COLCHESTER United began March with a frustrating 2-2 home draw with fellow strugglers Leyton Orient, at a rain-soaked JobServe Community Stadium.

Ethan Coleman's stoppage-time equaliser denied the U's a point, after goals from Myles Kenlock and Owura Edwards had cancelled out Ruel Sotiriou's opener for the O's.

A late Tom Dallison header gave the U's a vital 1-0 win over Port Vale in their following match and the U's followed that up with a 3-1 win at bottom club Scunthorpe United.

Narrow 1-0 defeats against Bristol Rovers and Forest Green Rovers - in the game for Ukraine - followed by a dramatic win by the same scoreline over Tranmere Rovers.

Junior Tchamadeu's splendid stoppage-time strike - his first-ever professional goal - won the club's Goal of the Season competition.

His wonderful celebration is captured here by the lens of Steve Brading.



Wayne Brown's side started a new month as they had finished the last - with a win.

Colchester won came from behind to win 2-1 at Harrogate Town thanks to goals from Freddie Sears and Noah Chilvers.

Disappointing back-to-back 2-0 defeats followed against lowly Stevenage and high-flying Exeter City, before Colchester secured their League Two status with a 3-0 win over Mark Hughes' Bradford City.

That was followed up by a fine 2-1 win at Newport County and then a 2-2 draw with Walsall.

Steve Brading's picture shows Hughes watching on, as Colchester take on Bradford.



THERE was only one match played by Colchester United in May - and it was a successful one.

The U's won 2-0 at Hartlepool United to finish their season with a victory, thanks to goals from John Akinde and league debutant, Chay Cooper.

Richard Blaxall's picture shows Cooper celebrating, after scoring with a spectacular strike at Victoria Park.