COLCHESTER United's League Two relegation fears deepened this afternoon after they were beaten 2-0 at home by fellow strugglers Barrow.

An own goal from debutant Tom Dallison and substitute Josh Kay's stoppage-time strike were enough to separate the teams at the JobServe Community Stadium, as the U's winless league run stretched to six games.

Luke Chambers hit the bar in the second half for Colchester but ultimately there was not enough quality on show from the home side, as they crashed to defeat.

Colchester made three changes to their side for the game against Barrow.

Dallison was handed his U’s debut as part of a three-man central defence, while Miles Welch-Hayes and Freddie Sears also return.

Noah Chilvers, Tom Eastman and Tommy Smith all dropped to the bench, while new signing Emyr Huws was also among the substitutes.

Colchester came close to taking a third-minute lead when Freddie Sears' powerful effort from the edge of the area was well saved by Barrow goalkeeper Paul Farman.

The U’s also registered another effort on goal soon after through Junior Tchamadeu, who cut inside before unleashing a shot from 25 yards that flew wide of the target.

But Barrow began to warm to the task and Patrick Brough's stinging volley looked like it might be heading in until Tchamadeu got in the way.

Barrow then came close again midway through the first half when Jacob Wakeling’s header from a corner at the near post flashed inches wide of the far post for the visitors.

Colchester threatened from time to time and went close in the 26th minute when the unmarked Brendan Wiredu's header from Cameron Coxe’s cross sailed harmlessly wide from close range, with Welch-Hayes unable to supply the final touch.

But Barrow came close themselves just after the half hour mark through James Jones' fizzing low effort which was saved by Jake Turner.

And seconds later, Wakeling's flicked header from a Ollie Banks pass flew just wide, as Barrow pressed.

Colchester did have a sight of goal five minutes before the break when Welch-Hayes’ through ball sent Sears through but Matt Platt did enough to put the U’s striker off and concede a corner.

Barrow started the second half well and Turner pushed away Barrow midfielder Tom White’s deflected effort, just after the break.

And the U's fell behind in the 53rd minute when Brough's cross into the six-yard box hit Dallison and sailed into the net.

Sears was denied by Farman soon after as Colchester tried to find a route back into the contest.

U's boss Hayden Mullins sent on Luke Hannant for Welch-Hayes just before the hour and switched to 4-4-2, in a bid to find an equaliser.

They came close to getting one with 16 minutes remaining when skipper Chambers' hooked effort came off the bar, after Dallison had helped on Judge's free-kick.

But Barrow almost sealed their win with five minutes remaining when Turner pushed away substitute Jamie Devitt's shot after a swift counter-attack by the visitors.

And substitute Kay swept home from Devitt's pass to seal Barrow's win in stoppage-time, as Colchester were beaten.

MATCH FACTS: COLCHESTER UNITED: Turner, Welch-Hayes (sub Hannant, 58), Chambers, Dallison, Tchamadeu, Skuse, Wiredu (sub Chilvers, 64), Coxe, Andrews (sub Nouble, 81), Judge, Sears.

Subs (not used): Smith, Eastman, Huws, Gerken.

Barrow: Farman, Brough, Platt, White, Jones, Harris (sub Devitt, 76), Glennon, Wakeling (sub Kay, 63), Hutton, Banks, James.

Subs (not used): Lillis, Brown, Ellis, Stevens.

U's man of the match: Luke Chambers.

Referee: Will Finnie.

Bookings: Colchester: Dallison (foul, 78). Barrow: Platt (foul, 24), Hutton (time wasting, 81), Jones (foul, 84).

Goals: Barrow: Dallison (own goal, 53), Kay (90).

Attendance: 2,297 (112 Barrow fans).