COLCHESTER United picked up their first away point since September in League Two tonight after playing out a goal-less draw with Bradford City at the Utilita Stadium.

The U's produced a disciplined display to claim a deserved share of the spoils, following a hard-fought contest.

Jake Turner was the busier of the two keepers particularly in the first half, where he made a number of important saves.

But the U's improved after the break and they did have their chances, with Alan Judge and Freddie Sears both denied by keeper Sam Hornby in the second half.

Indeed, Colchester were left rightly aggrieved with the Sears chance in stoppage-time, as Hornby handled outside his area but was not penalised by referee Marc Edwards.

They had to settle for a point, the second successive season that Colchester have drawn 0-0 at Bradford.

Colchester, who made one change to their starting line-up with Charlie Daniels in at left-back in place of Cameron Coxe, were forced to defend in the early stages.

Bradford were dominant and U’s keeper Jake Turner made a fine diving save in the fifth minute to his right to push away Lee Angol's goalbound effort, from Oscar Threlkeld’s pass.

Colchester go close six minutes later through Alan Judge, who fired over the bar after a good move saw Daniels pick out the experienced midfielder on the edge of the Bradford area.

But Bradford were the better side early on and Luke Chambers made a brilliant block inside his own area to prevent former Colchester loanee Theo Robinson from scoring what looked a certain goal, after Alex Gilliead had gone past Tommy Smith in the area.

Turner then pulled off a fine reflex save from close range to deny Robinson’s fierce shot, after the former U’s loanee had controlled a high ball from the back.

Bradford continued to threaten and Angol fired a low shot straight at Turner from close range in the 19th minute, from Yann Songo’o’s lay-off.

But Colchester eased their way into the game after that and began to enjoy a little more possession.

U’s boss Hayden Mullins brought on Brendan Wiredu for Sylvester Jasper, four minutes before the break.

And Wiredu almost helped Colchester break the deadlock, early in the second half.

It was his clever reverse pass that presented Judge with a chance inside the area but the on-rushing Bantams goalkeeper Hornby did well to deny the U’s midfielder.

Robinson's curled effort from nearly 25 yards flew straight into Turner's arms on the hour mark as both sides looked to break the deadlock.

Skipper Smith headed wide from Daniels' free-kick into the area for the U's with 15 minutes remaining, before the U's made a double change soon after with Coxe and Luke Hannant on for Dobra and Judge.

Cole Skuse came close to scoring for Colchester in the 89th minute when he shot wide from the edge of the area.

Both sides had great chances to win it, in stoppage-time.

Sears had an equally gilt-edged chance when he was denied by keeper Hornby, amid claims that the Bradford keeper had handled outside his area.

Angol then blasted over from a great position and squandered a golden chance to claim victory for Bradford, as the spoils were shared.

MATCH STATS: COLCHESTER UNITED: Turner, Tchamadeu, Chambers, Smith, Daniels, Skuse, Chilvers, Jasper (sub Wiredu, 41), Judge (sub Hannant, 79), Dobra (sub Coxe, 79), Sears.

Subs (not used): Terry, McCoulsky, Tovide, Gerken.

U’s man of the match: Cole Skuse.

Bradford City: Hornby, Threlkeld, Ridehalgh, O’Connor, Canavan, Songo’o (sub Evans, 77), Gilliead (sub Lavery, 83), Watt, Angol, Robinson (sub Cooke, 63), Sutton.

Subs (not used): Foulds, Kelleher, Cousin-Dawson, O’Donnell.

Referee: Marc Edwards.

Bookings: Colchester: Chilvers (unsporting behaviour, 77), Smith (foul, 87). Bradford: Watt (foul, 85).