COLCHESTER United's under-18s were involved in one of the best games witnessed at Florence Park training ground after sharing ten goals with Charlton Athletic, writes BRIAN WALLER.

Liam Bailey's side ran out 6-4 winners over the ten-man Addicks in an amazing Premier League Cup contest.

Kaan Bennett scored four times in an excellent win but it was ultimately not enough for them to progress to the knockout stages.

Charlton took the lead after four minutes when Karoy Anderson drove a shot home, following goalkeeper Endurance Johnson's poor kick out.

But Colchester equalised 12 minutes later through Bennett, whose left-foot effort deflected off a Charlton player, over the keeper's head and in from Kai Redgrave's pass.

Charlton were then reduced to ten men after 25 minutes when skipper Karoy Anderson was dismissed for a very poor challenge on Freddie Price.

However, the visitors restored their lead just after the half hour when Harvey Kedwell's drive flew into the net, with the aid of a slight deflection.

But in a match of ever-changing fortunes, the U’s then scored two quick goals to take a 3-2 lead.

They equalised when Kacy Parish slid his shot into the right-hand side of the net, following Redgrave's assist.

And two minutes later, T’aizo Marcel-Dilaver tucked away the loose ball after Lowe's shot was saved by keeper, Ahmed Kone.

Colchester made it 4-2 just before the break.

After some more slick passing, Bennett snuck around the back and fired into the far corner after Lowe had played a ball in behind the Charlton right-back.

Johnson atoned for his earlier error with two very good saves, before the U’s stretched their lead to 5-2 with 13 minutes to go.

Bennett drove a shot home, after Price's superb burst down the left.

Colchester then scored a sixth goal when a long ball from the back saw Bennett win the race to the ball before the keeper got there and knocked it past him into the net.

Charlton continued to battle on and pulled another goal back with three minutes remaining through Jason Adigun's penalty, after he was fouled in the box.

And the visitors got a fourth when Daniel Kanu raced away and beat Johnson to his left just inside his post.

However, Colchester emerged winners in a crazy game.

U'S U18: Johnson, Sullivan, Chawaka, Terry, Price, Redgrave (sub Brown), Parish (sub Aman), Lowe, Marcel-Dilaver (sub Drakes-Thomas), Tovide, Bennett. Subs (not used): Tedaldi, Yates.