COLCHESTER United maintained their unbeaten league away record after drawing 0-0 with Swindon Town this afternoon.

Both sides had their chances to claim victory at the County Ground but had to settle for a point apiece, in the League Two clash.

Colchester made two changes to their starting line-up for the game at Swindon.

Luke Chambers was recalled in central defence after returning from suspension, while Luke Hannant was also recalled in midfield.

Tom Eastman and Sylvester Jasper dropped to the bench.

Colchester started brightly and came close to taking a fourth-minute lead when Swindon goalkeeper Jojo Wollacott saved Frank Nouble’s shot at his near post, after the U's forward had shown fine skill to get past two defenders in the area.

But Swindon began to look threatening and Ellis Iandolo registered their first meaningful effort after 20 minutes when he unleashed an effort from the edge of the area which U’s keeper Shamal George did well to reach out a hand and push over the bar for a corner.

George showed good alertness again five minutes later, coming out quickly to deny Jack Payne at his near post after Swindon had breached the U's defence with a through ball.

And not long after, George was down low at his right at his near post to save Alex Gilbert's effort, after some patient build-up from hosts.

Gilbert fired over for Swindon a few minutes later and George then made another fine stop to his right to push away Iandolo’s fierce effort.

But Colchester almost took the lead just before half-time when Wollacott reacted well to save Alan Judge’s powerful low effort at his near post, as the sides went in at the break goal-less.

The U's had the ball in the Swindon net in the opening minutes of the second half but Sears was adjudged to have controlled the ball with his hand in the area, after latching onto Hannant's ball into the area and the effort was disallowed.

But it was the hosts who built up the pressure and looked the more likely to break the deadlock, as the second half progressed.

Colchester sent on Jasper for Hannant midway through the second half but Swindon missed a gilt-edged chance with 13 minutes remaining when Ipswich loanee Tyreece Simpson wastefully headed over from Kaine Kesler-Hayden's pinpoint cross into the box.

Colchester skipper Tommy Smith almost grabbed a late winner when his rasping shot sailed inches over the bar with eight minutes remaining, after Freddie Sears had won the ball well in the Swindon half.

At the other end, George saved Kesler-Hayden's shot at his near post.

Wollacott made a good save to deny Charlie Daniels' powerful left-foot strike at his near post but at the other end, George saved well from Simpson as the spoils were shared.

MATCH STATS: COLCHESTER UNITED: George, Coxe, Chambers, Smith, Daniels, Skuse, Wiredu (sub Chilvers, 89), Hannant (sub Jasper, 66), Judge, Sears (sub Dobra, 86), Nouble.

Substitutes (not used): Eastman, Clampin, Tovide, Turner.

U’s man of the match: Shamal George.

Swindon Town: Wollacott, Odimayo, Iandolo, Conroy, Crichlow, Gladwin, Simpson, Payne, Gilbert (sub Mitchell-Lawson, 82), Kesler-Hayden, Reed.

Subs (not used): Baudry, Ward, Hunt, East, Parsons, Dabre.

Referee: Andrew Kitchen.

Bookings: Swindon: Conroy (foul, 9).

Goals: None.

Attendance: 8,436.