COLCHESTER United completed their League Two season with a goal-less draw at Tranmere Rovers this afternoon.

The U’s deserved their point at Prenton Park and looked the more likely side in the second half to grab a winner, with Tranmere keeper Joe Murphy the busier of the two goalkeepers after half-time.

Colchester were already safe in League Two prior to the game, while the draw meant Tranmere clinched a play-off place.

Colchester interim head coach Hayden Mullins made one change to his starting line-up against Tranmere, with Tom Lapslie recalled in midfield in place of Ben Stevenson.

It was a very youthful bench for the U’s, with all but one of their substitutes made up of academy players.

There was very little in the way of goalmouth action for either side, in the opening 45 minutes.

The hosts, who were looking to seal their play-off place, saw Liam Ridehalgh’s curled cross well headed away by U’s stand-in skipper Tommy Smith from under veteran striker David Nugent’s nose, before Ryan Clampin made an equally vital block to concede a corner.

Tranmere went close again in the 15th minute when Otis Khan headed over at the far post following good play by the lively Corey Blackett-Taylor down the U’s right had seen him go past Tom Eastman and cross into the box.

Indeed, Blackett-Taylor was Tranmere’s most dangerous customer in the first half, giving the U’s defence plenty to think about.

As the half came to a close, Paul Lewis’s diving header from Ridehalgh's cross into the area flew wide for a goal-kick while soon after, a timely intervention by Miles Welch-Hayes averted the danger from under Blackett-Taylor’s nose in the U’s six-yard box as the teams went in goal-less at the break.

The second half continued in similar fashion but Colchester almost grabbed a 63rd-minute lead when Michael Folivi’s close-range effort was well saved by keeper Joe Murphy, after Brendan Wiredu’s energetic run from midfield had set up the opportunity.

And five minutes later, Noah Chilvers’ low shot was well saved by Murphy after Folivi had capitalised on Jay Spearing’s mistake and driven towards goal.

Colchester continued to be the better side and went close again when Welch-Hayes’ downward header at the far post was straight at Murphy from Kwame Poku’s cross after an outrageous piece of skill by Clampin had helped set up the chance.

Academy striker Tom Stagg came on for his senior debut for the U’s in the 83rd minute place of the injured Frank Nouble but neither side was able to break the deadlock, as the spoils were shared on the final day of the season.

COLCHESTER UNITED: George, Welch-Hayes, Eastman, Smith, Clampin, Chilvers (sub Sayer, 90), Lapslie, Wiredu, Poku (sub Bohui, 79), Folivi, Nouble (sub Stagg, 83).

Subs (not used): Tchamadeu, Cornish, Cracknell, Coulter.

Tranmere Rovers: Murphy, O’Connor, Ridehalgh, Clarke, Blackett-Taylor (sub Woolery, 62), Khan, Spearing, Feeney (sub Crawford, 90), Ray (sub Monthe, 74), Lewis, Nugent (sub Vaughan, 62).

Subs (not used): Morris, MacDonald, Jones.

Referee: James Bell.

U’s man of the match: Tommy Smith.

Goals: None.

Bookings: Colchester: Lapslie (foul, 11). Tranmere: Khan (foul, 54).