COLCHESTER United legend Karl Duguid admits he still gets goosebumps when he thinks about the day the club secured a historic League One promotion.

Today is the 15th anniversary of the day the U’s claimed a 0-0 draw at Yeovil Town to go up to English football’s second tier for the first time in the club’s history, sparking jubilant scenes at Huish Park.

The stalemate against the Glovers on May 6, 2006 was enough to clinch Phil Parkinson’s side runners-up spot and a coveted place in the Championship.

And former U’s stalwart Duguid, who skippered Colchester to promotion in the 2005-06 campaign making 45 league and cup appearances, said it was an unforgettable experience.

Duguid said: “It was the best day ever I think, for everybody involved.

“It was an amazing day and I still get goosebumps now when I think about it. When you look back at the photos and stuff like that, you get a bit emotional.

“I know the year after we did very well in the league but to achieve what we achieved at that time as a small football club with a small budget with not the best ground, even in League One.

“People didn’t think the players were good enough to achieve that and it was a chance for us to show how good we were.

“It took a manager and a staff to believe in us and put that belief in us, too. A lot of lads wanted to move on and play higher but a lot of lads may not have believed that.”

Phil Parkinson’s side were well backed by their loud supporters at Yeovil and there were wild scenes at the final whistle, once Colchester’s promotion had been confirmed.

“It was probably the worst game of football of the season, if I’m honest,” admits Duguid. “It wasn’t a great one to play in but it was fantastic when that final whistle went.

“Dannsy (Neil Danns) had a chance to run it into the corner at one point and he chose to have a shot and we all had a go at him and said ‘we have seconds left - just keep the ball!’ “We had a job to do that day and everybody that played, did what they had to do.”