JOSH Bohui came off the bench to score the winner as Colchester United beat nine-man Salford City 1-0 to secure their League Two status for another season.

Bohui, making his first U’s appearance since mid-January, raced onto Ben Stevenson’s pass and planted a fine shot past keeper Vaclav Hladky to secure his side victory and finally confirm their Football League status, at the JobServe Community Stadium.

It was an impressive performance by Colchester, who secured a third straight home win under interim head coach Hayden Mullins, who made two changes to his starting line-up.

Stevenson and Kwame Poku were both recalled, with skipper Harry Pell and Callum Harriott dropping out of the 18 due to personal reasons.

Colchester made a solid start and missed a great chance to take a tenth-minute lead when Tom Eastman headed wide unmarked from Noah Chilvers’ corner.

The visitors were rarely seen as an attacking force and the U’s had another good opportunity to go ahead in the 24th minute through Frank Nouble, who fired a low shot straight at Salford goalkeeper Hladky after being fed by Michael Folivi in space.

Colchester’s chances of winning were boosted just after the half hour mark when Di’Shon Bernard was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Noah Chilvers and was sent off, after he had been cautioned earlier in the game for a foul on Stevenson.

After a goal-less first half, the U’s started the second half brightly and tried to press home their numerical advantage against a Salford side who left former U’s forward Ian Henderson as their lone attacker.

And the Ammies almost snatched a goal on the counter-attack just after the hour when substitute George Boyd skipped past two challenges and advanced towards goal before drilling a low shot wide of a post.

It prompted Colchester to make a change, bringing on attacker Bohui for Chilvers for his first appearance since mid-January.

And it did not take the former Manchester United youngster long to make an impact, after he gave Colchester a 68th-minute lead.

He raced onto Ben Stevenson’s pass before planting a shot emphatically past Hladky for his first goal in U’s colours.

Salford had a penalty appeal rejected with nine minutes remaining when Robbie Gotts tumbled under Ryan Clampin's challenge in the area.

But referee Leigh Doughty waved away the claims and the visitors hardly threatened after that.

Salford substitute Ash Hunter was sent off in stoppage time as the visitors finished with nine men, as Colchester claimed victory to secure their League Two status.

COLCHESTER UNITED: George, Welch-Hayes, Eastman, Smith, Clampin, Chilvers (sub Bohui, 62), Stevenson, Wiredu (sub Lapslie, 73), Poku, Folivi, Nouble.

Subs (not used): Sowunmi, Tchamadeu, Senior, Brown, Gerken.

Salford City: Hladky, Touray, Lowe, Eastham, Bernard, Turnbull, Threlkeld, Gotts (sub Hunter, 85), Coutts (sub Clarke, 53), Asante (sub Boyd, 58), Henderson.

Subs (not used): Evans, Burgess, Deseruvwe, Loughlan.

Referee: Leigh Doughty (Lancashire).

U’s man of the match: Ben Stevenson.

Goals: Colchester: Bohui (68).

Bookings: Colchester: Wiredu (foul, 72). Salford: Bernard (fouls, 15, 32), Turnbull (unsporting behaviour, 79), Eastham (foul, 82), Threlkeld (foul, 86).

Sending off: Salford: Bernard (two bookable offences, 32), Hunter (dissent, 90).