COLCHESTER United played out their third successive draw in League Two after sharing the spoils at Walsall.

The U’s drew 1-1 at the Banks’s Stadium, after Callum Harriott’s first-half strike was cancelled out by Elijah Adebayo’s fine strike, just after half-time.

Colchester extended their unbeaten league run to five matches with the draw, while Walsall are now four undefeated.

Colchester boss Steve Ball made one change to his starting line-up for their game at Walsall.

Miles Welch-Hayes missed out through injury, so 20-year-old Miquel Scarlett was handed his league debut at right-back.

New signing Josh Bohui was among the substitutes, after his signature was confirmed prior to the game.

The 21-year-old played under Director of Performance Jon De Souza at Brentford before joining Manchester United on a three-year contract in 2016.

Bohui moved to Holland to play for NAC Breda in 2019, before mutually terminating his contract earlier this week.

He made three appearances for England's U17s during the 2015-16 campaign, but is still also eligible for France and Ivory Coast at international level.

U’s keeper Dean Gerken, making his 150th league appearance for Colchester, was called into action in the opening minute when he comfortably saved from Josh Gordon.

But Colchester came agonisingly close to going ahead a minute later when Jevani Brown dispossessed Dan Scarr and tried to lift the ball past keeper Liam Roberts but saw his effort come back off the far post, with Kwame Poku’s follow up blocked.

Callum Harriott's long-range attempt flew straight at keeper Roberts soon after but Walsall looked lively in attack throughout the first half, whipping plenty of crosses into the box with Gordon and Elijah Adebayo linking up well up front for the hosts.

Gordon’s control and volley was deflected over the bar for a corner for Walsall but Colchester went ahead in the 24th minute through Callum Harriott, who was picked out by Noah Chilvers and ran at James Clarke before smartly planting the ball past Roberts for a well-taken goal.

Walsall responded well to the setback; Rory Holden’s dangerous free-kick into the area bounced dangerously past the far post with no-one able to get on the end of it, while Wes McDonald’s shot was deflected over for a corner.

At the other end, Tom Eastman's header flew straight at Roberts at the far post following a short corner but Walsall came close to equalising three minutes before the break when Dan Scarr forced Gerken to make a fine parry having earlier scuffed his first attempt.

Colchester went in at the break ahead but Walsall were level, seven minutes after half-time.

The impressive Adebayo was found by substitute Caolan Lavery and planted a precise shot past Gerken and into the far corner, leaving the U's keeper no chance.

Adebayo really should have scored again three minutes later when he was left unmarked in the U’s area following Holden’s cross but the Walsall striker’s weak header was saved by Gerken from close range, to keep the scores level.

Luke Norris was sent on for Courtney Senior by boss Ball in an attempt to get his side back in the ascendancy but Lavery almost made it 2-1 when he fired wide from close range, after being picked out by Wes McDonald.

Gerken made another fine stop to push Holden’s low shot with ten minutes to go, before Colchester sent on Bohui for his debut in place of Poku for the final stages of the game.

Four minutes of time were added on at the end of the game but the spoils were shared.

Colchester: Gerken, Scarlett, Eastman, Smith, Bramall, Chilvers, Stevenson, Poku (sub Bohui, 82), Senior (sub Norris, 58), Harriott (sub Cowan-Hall, 87), Brown.

Subs (not used): Sowunmi, Marshall-Miranda, Tovide, George.

Walsall: Roberts, Norman, Clarke, Scarr, Kinsella, McDonald (sub Osadebe, 85), Guthrie (sub Bates, 70), Nurse, Holden, Gordon (sub Lavery, 41), Adebayo.

Subs (not used): Jules, Sinclair, White, Rose.

Referee: Declan Bourne.

Goals: Colchester: Harriott (24). Walsall: Adebayo (53).

Bookings: Colchester: Senior (unsporting behaviour, 44), Norris (foul, 66), Eastman (foul, 71), Brown (foul, 76). Walsall: Norman (unsporting behaviour, 44), Adebayo (unsporting behaviour, 86), Kinsella (foul, 90).