GAZETTE reporter Matt Plummer reflects on Saturday's stunning 3-0 victory for Colchester United against Plymouth Argyle.


THE calibre of Colchester's display was summed up by a conversation between two euphoric U's fans, as they headed for the exit after Saturday's game.

One, beaming and clearly enthralled, described it as the best performance for "many, many years" and "as long as he could remember".

His pal, equally cock-a-hoop, deemed the first-half showing "close to perfection".

Those quips speak volumes and while fans will rightly and understandably bask in the euphoria of the opening period, Colchester also deserve credit for the way they managed the game after the break.

A clean sheet against quality opposition is not to be sniffed at.


THERE were multiple candidates for man-of-the-match but perhaps the pick of a classy bunch was Callum Harriott.

In his post-match interviews, John McGreal matter-of-factly described him as a Championship player. Rightly so, on this evidence.

The ex-Charlton Athletic man was a constant threat - quick, slick and too hot to handle.


DESPITE it being a near 600-mile round trip, Plymouth usually enjoy their trips to Colchester.

It's been a happy hunting ground and they were unbeaten in their previous six visits - winning two and drawing four - prior to Saturday.

There were celebrations the last time they came to town, in April 2017, as it was their first game since sealing promotion to League One.

They won't have enjoyed this weekend's pilgrimage, though.

It will have been a very, very long journey home but credit to the 1,000-strong Green Army, who backed their team to the hilt - despite the shock of that opening 45 minutes.


FOOTBALL is all about confidence and momentum.

Colchester built a head of steam during their recent 16-match unbeaten run - only to hit the buffers at Cambridge United.

Now they need to learn from previous lessons and make sure the same thing doesn't happen against Grimsby Town on Tuesday.

The Cambridge setback came just four days after a thrilling victory against Swindon, in which the U's came from behind and notched late goals to topple the League Two leaders.

They then fell flat on their face, unravelling much of the good work of their midweek heroics.

The same cannot happen again.


AS a final aside, it was interesting to note that Plymouth boss Ryan Lowe - a lifelong Liverpool fan - refused to speak to The Sun journalist on duty at Saturday's game.

In common with many Reds supporters, he has strong feelings about the tabloid because of the way it covered the Hillsborough tragedy in 1989.

However, he was far from rude, made it clear it was nothing personal and admitted it's a "difficult situation".

Credit to him for having such strong principles.