AFTER their heavy defeat at Ipswich Town, the U’s young guns bounced back in style with a convincing win over Coventry City.

It was their second league victory of the season.

They were on top from the start and their good work was rewarded with a goal after a run and cross by Samson Tovide.

After the ball flashed across the goalmouth, Sam Cornish knocked it back across goal and a trialist scored with the aid of a possible deflection after 22 minutes.

City were back on terms close to half-time.

Joe Nightingale made a break down the right and from his ball across the area, home keeper Chandler Hallett made two very good saves.

However, he was unable to do anything as Thai Duggan put the loose ball into the home net after 42 minutes.

Colchester hit the woodwork twice in a minute in the second half.

Kacy Parish was first and then, after some shots were blocked, Marley Marshall-Miranda’s effort came back out again after hitting the inside of the post.

Three minutes after that, the home team did score again.

After a superb tackle and run forward by Marshall-Miranda, his angled cross saw Tovide arriving from the left to slide the ball into the City net.

Colchester then sealed the victory with a third goal.

Marshall-Miranda won a thumping challenge in his own half and moved forward to slide the ball up to Tom Stagg, who held the ball up well.

Then, on the turn, he beat the City keeper with his left foot, low just inside his right-hand post after 89 minutes.

Coventry had a player sent off in the last few seconds.

As Josh Fouche went to clear the ball, Duggan came in with a very late challenge.

While the U’s centre-back needed treatment and then limped off to be replaced by Ryan Lowe, City's centre-forward was receiving the red card.

U's: Chandler Hallett, Lordan Akolbire, Josh Fouche, Frankie Terry, Harvey Sayer, Trialist, Sam Cornish, Kacy Parish, Marley Marshall-Miranda, Samson Tovide and Tom Stagg. Subs: Joe Redfearn, Soumen Nandi and Ryan Lowe. Unused subs: Ted Collins and Darnell Asare-Williams.

Meanwhile, Colchester's under-23s suffered a 2-0 defeat at home to Cardiff City on Monday afternoon.

Will Vaulks and Shamar Moore were on target for the Bluebirds.