IPSWICH Town climbed to second in League One but were left grateful for a point after drawing 0-0 at home to Doncaster Rovers.

Paul Lambert’s men are still unbeaten after winning four and drawing three of their opening seven matches.

However, they may wonder how that proud record is still intact after a testing afternoon against Darren Moore’s Yorkshiremen.

Only the woodwork prevented them sliding to a first defeat, allied to a couple of smart saves from keeper Tomas Holy.

That said, James Norwood could and should have won it for the hosts after twice being denied from one-on-one efforts by Rovers keeper Ian Lawlor.

In truth, the match will not live too long in the memory and there is certainly plenty to work on for Lambert’s side, who have the bonus of a game in hand on leaders Coventry and the duo directly below – Wycombe and Fleetwood.

However, they have an immediate chance to get back on the victory trail at MK Dons on Tuesday night – a match that is swiftly followed by a trip to Gillingham next Saturday.

Town were fortunate to be on level terms at the break, having played second fiddle to a tidy, slick Doncaster outfit.

Rovers had more possession and better chances, with home frustrations beginning to show both on the pitch and in the stands.

Holy leapt to his right to keep out a low effort from Niall Ennis and then made a close-range block from Jon Taylor.

It would have been a much better opportunity had the Rovers man done a better job of controlling Ennis’ cross.

Instead, his first touch was poor and his effort ended up coming from an acute angle.

Town’s best opportunity came after the break, when they at last tested Lawlor.

Norwood raced onto a ball into the box but his attempted dinked effort was blocked by the alert Rovers keeper.

Town looked to have a bit more spark in the second period and Kane Vincent-Young’s thunderous effort flashed just over the bar from 25 yards.

However, there was a major let-off when Ben Sheaf’s unstoppable long-range effort clattered back off the left-hand post.

Town then had a golden chance to win the match in stoppage time, as Norwood raced onto a glorious long pass from Alan Judge.

However, for the second time, his close-range effort was blocked by the heroic Lawler.