COLCHESTER United slid to a 2-1 defeat at home to Cambridge United, in Saturday's League Two contest at the JobServe Community Stadium.

Gazette reporter Matt Plummer chews the fat with five talking points from an eventful afternoon.


DESPITE their rip-roaring start on Saturday, Colchester are still seeking their first victory of the season - in League Two, at least.

A draw and then two defeats have hardly set the pulse racing, despite bright, positive moments in all three matches.

Tuesday's Carabao Cup victory against Swindon was pleasing and welcome, of course, and not least because it's set up a trip to Premier League Crystal Palace.

However, at any level, league points are significantly more important. It's the bread and butter.

Colchester will hope to get the monkey off their back, and alleviate some of the early-season pressure, when they head to Grimsby Town tomorrow.


AT half-time, it was impossible to imagine a Colchester defeat.

They were so in control, having absolutely bossed the first half, but there was always that worry they might be punished for not adding a second goal.

A cushion would have made all the difference.

Cambridge were never going to be that horrendous in the second period and so it proved.

What became an even contest was suddenly on a knife-edge and missed chances proved oh so costly.

The U's are lacking cutting edge, clearly, and just two goals in three league games is disappointing, to say the least.

This was Cambridge's first win at Colchester (Layer Road or the Community Stadium) since a 2-1 Division Four success in November 1989.


RYAN Clampin was drafted in for his full debut, having only previously featured from the bench in a Checkatrade Trophy contest against Southampton's under-21s.

The 20-year-old was impressive from the start, getting forward at every opportunity, making space for himself and delivering some dangerous crosses into the box.

Afterwards he tweeted that it was a proud moment and rightly so, because he can be delighted with his first proper appearance.

The only downside was the fact he hobbled off in the closing stages, picking up an injury near the halfway line and having to be helped from the pitch.

His fitness will be assessed prior to Tuesday's match at Grimsby but, if he fails to make it, Colchester will need to shuffle their pack because they're short of full-backs. Cohen Bramall has started a three-match ban - the U's appeal against his sending-off in the Swindon game was overturned - and so the former Arsenal man will miss out on Tuesday and next Saturday, against Northampton.


TALKING of full-backs, Ipswich manager Paul Lambert has confirmed that Kane Vincent-Young’s move is all but done, with the £500,000 switch set to be rubber-stamped on Monday.

Vincent-Young was with the Blues squad at Peterborough on Saturday but wouldn’t have played even if the deal had gone through before Friday’s deadline.

“He wouldn’t have been fit because he’s got a little knock on his toe," said ex-U's boss Lambert.

“He’ll be a really good signing for the club."

If fit, Vincent-Young could make his debut in Tuesday's home match against AFC Wimbledon.


LET'S finish with a positive.

While Clampin's inclusion in the starting line-up was the headline news in terms of another youngster getting his break, it was also pleasing that Kwame Poku was named among the U's substitutes.

The midfielder impressed while on trial at the end of last season, having previously been playing his football down on the south coast for Worthing.

As a result, he signed his first professional contract and joined up with Colchester’s under-23 team.

It was a real milestone to be on the bench - and hopefully it won't be long before he gets his first minutes.