Three was certainly the popular number for north Essex sides as the BetVictor Isthmian League north division season got itself under way.

Having had to be patient while other local leagues got started over the last couple of weeks, the north division sides finally got their chance to shine and all four of the north Essex ones involved did just that.

Three goals apiece was a common factor for our local quartet and all of them started their campaigns with very handy three-point hauls.

Notable among them were Witham Town, who were not only beginning their new season, but also life under new boss Marc Benterman and his players gave him the perfect start.

Benterman’s new-look team headed to newly-promoted Hullbridge Sports and beat the Essex Senior League champions 3-0 thanks to a trio of first-half goals.

The opener came from George Bugg as he put Witham ahead on 17 minutes and a quick-fire double from Marcus Bowers and Oli Emsden in the two minutes before the break gave them a comfortable buffer to defend in the second half.

Another team starting life under a new manager were Heybridge Swifts and they gave boss Karl Duguid a winning opening as they won 3-1 at another newly-promoted side – Histon.

Elliott Ronto put Swifts ahead in the fourth minute and the Australian added another on 33 minutes to put Heybridge 3-0 up at the break after Alex Teniola had doubled their lead in the 12th minute.

Histon did pull a goal back just after the restart but Swifts held on to their advantage to put an early three points on the board.

That 3-1 scoreline was replicated by Maldon & Tiptree as the Jammers had a successful opening day at home against Soham Town Rangers.

Danny Parrish got Maldon off to a good start with a sixth minute goal and they held on to that lead until an eventful final ten minutes of the game at Park Drive.

Parrish doubled the lead on 80 minutes and Hanza Kand made the points safe with a third four minutes later, but the drama wasn’t over as Soham had Quba Gordon shown a red card on 87 minutes and there was still time for the visitors to score from a late penalty to make it 3-1 at the end.

And completing the north Essex sides scoring three and winning on the opening day were Coggeshall Town, beat AFC Sudbury 3-1 at home thanks to first-half goals from Mekhi McLeod and Nnamdi Nwachuku and a late Conor Hubble strike.

Elsewhere, the Isthmian League premier division had already got up and running, but Brightlingsea Regent are waiting for their campaign to really ignite as a goalless draw with Merstham at the Taydal Stadium left the R’s still searching for a first win of the campaign.