COLCHESTER United won their first League Cup tie since 2010 after beating Swindon Town 3-0 tonight to book an away tie at Premier League side Crystal Palace.

Goals from Tom Eastman, Courtney Senior and Brandon Comley in the final stages of the first-round tie sent the U's through, in the Carabao Cup.

Colchester head coach John McGreal made two changes to his starting line-up for their game against Swindon.

Luke Gambin was handed his first-ever competitive start for the U’s and Ryan Jackson return at right-back, with Courtney Senior dropping to the bench and Kane Vincent-Young missing out.

Vincent-Young’s absence inevitably fuelled speculation about the full-back’s future, following him being linked to League One side Ipswich Town in recent days.

Swindon won both of their opening two games in League Two, prior to this encounter.

And their early-season confidence showed in the first few stages, as they started the brighter of the two sides.

The Robins almost took a 12th-minute lead when U’s goalkeeper Dean Gerken made a fine stop to deny Jerry Yates, after Keshi Anderson’s pass had created the chance following a swift break by the visitors.

Swindon keeper Luke McCormick had to be out quickly at the feet of former Robins striker Luke Norris soon after to avert the danger but the visitors looked the more likely to break the deadlock.

Keshi Anderson curled a shot over the bar from Kaiyne Woolery and then planted a shot into the side netting soon after, while nine minutes before the break Woolery’s shot rebounded off Gerken and flew off for a corner after Yates had picked him out, following another swift Swindon attack.

Colchester finished the first half well but lacked a little punch in the final third, in the opening 45 minutes.

U’s skipper Luke Prosser had to make a fine sliding tackle in the area to deny Yates a shot on goal from close range, early in the second period.

Gerken was called into action again soon after when he saved well from Anderson’s low shot before both sides were reduced to ten men on the hour mark.

Both U’s left-back Conor Bramall and Swindon striker Yates were red-carded, after they were involved in an altercation near the touchline.

Colchester coped better with the setback and took the lead with 13 minutes remaining through Eastman, who emphatically converted from Jevani Brown's cross.

And after Gerken had denied Lloyd Isgrave, substitute Senior made the game safe for the U's when he converted from two yards following Nouble's fine run and low cross.

Comley added a third with almost the last kick of the game after more good work from Senior, as Colchester progressed.

COLCHESTER UNITED: Gerken, Jackson, Eastman, Prosser, Bramall, Lapslie, Stevenson, Gambin, Brown, Nouble, Norris.

Substitutes: Sowunmi, Kensdale, Comley, Chilvers, Hasanally, Senior, Ross.

Swindon Town: McCormick, Fryers, Broadbent, May (sub Lyden, 76), Ballard, Twine (sub Isgrove, 66), Hunt, Anderson, Woolery, Doughty, Yates.

Substitutes: Henry, Reid, Curran, Diagouraga, McGlashan.

Bookings: Colchester: Prosser (foul, 48), Gambin (foul, 58). Swindon: Hunt (foul, 25), Broadbent (foul, 45), Doughty (foul, 71).

Sent off: Colchester: Bramall (60). Swindon: Yates (60).

Referee: Charles Breakspear.

Attendance: 1,595 (207 Swindon fans).