COLCHESTER United suffered their first defeat of the new League Two season after they were beaten 1-0 at Plymouth Argyle this afternoon.

Antoni Sarcevic's well-taken strike early in the second half proved enough to give Argyle all three points, at a blustery Home Park.

Colchester head coach John McGreal made one change to his side for their game at Plymouth.

Ben Stevenson was handed his first start of the season in place of Harry Pell, who missed out because of a tendon injury.

Ryan Jackson was back in the squad after an abdominal injury but was only on the bench, with Cohen Bramall keeping his place.

Colchester played against the wind in an even first half where there was little to choose between the two sides.

U’s keeper Dean Gerken had to be alert in the seventh minute when he saved Antoni Sarcevic’s effort after the Plymouth attacker had escaped the attention of skipper Luke Prosser and advanced into the area before firing in a low shot.

Colchester registered their first effort on goal five minutes later through Stevenson, who collected possession in midfield before driving towards goal and sending a low shot straight at keeper Alex Palmer.

But the U’s were forced to defend again two minutes later, with Kane Vincent-Young getting back well to avert the danger after Byron Moore had pounced on Tom Lapslie’s error and tried to pick out Joel Grant in the area.

Soon after, Danny Mayor fired a shot over the bar from the edge of the area for Plymouth under pressure from Lapslie.

However, Colchester came close themselves just after the half hour mark, with Scott Wootten getting a vital touch to divert Courtney Senior's cross away from the lurking Luke Norris in the area.

The teams went in goal-less at the break and Colchester started the second half well.

In the seconds that followed the break, Senior sent a low shot straight at Palmer after Jevani Brown had flicked the ball into his path while soon after, Luke Norris saw a powerful shot parried by Palmer before the danger is cleared.

Colchester saw an even better chance to open the scoring go begging, five minutes after half-time when Tom Lapslie poked wide from five yards, following Vincent-Young's low cross.

But Plymouth went close themselves two minutes later through Byron Moore, who drove towards the U’s goal before driving in a fierce low shot that rattled the bottom of the post with Gerken beaten.

And Argyle then took a 58th-minute lead through Sarcevic, who drilled a fine low shot past Gerken from the edge of the area after substitute Dom Telford had helped on Mayor's pass.

Colchester made their first change of the game just before the midway point of the second half when Luke Gambin replaced Senior.

And the U's began to look a little more threatening, without really testing Argyle keeper Palmer.

Mayor saw his long-range drive fly over for Plymouth before with six minutes remaining, Colchester came close to equalising.

Gambin's curled effort was a whisker away from the target after Nouble had done well to pick him out and Jackson's low effort was saved by Palmer late on, as the U's fell to a narrow loss.