COLCHESTER'S productive pre-season continued with a hard-earned win over rivals Southend United.

Indeed, it was the hosts who scored all three goals.

There were a couple of early forays up the pitch by Colchester players as Matt Weaire burst forward, despite being checked a few times, before winning his side a free-kick.

Then, after more good running down the left by Noah Chilvers, he passed to Ollie Sims.

However, Sims' cross was cut out at the near post.

Another good run down the left by Ryan Clampin was halted as his attempted cross was cut out at the near post.

A ball from the back found Chilvers, who so nearly sent Sims clear.

Sims and Clampin then combined down the left but, again, the intended ball in was cut out.

On the quarter-hour mark, Southend went close when their attacker got the better of a U's trialist (6).

He got a left-foot shot in but keeper Callum Coulter got down to make a save.

After neat footwork on the right by Kwame Poku, he created space for himself to get a shot away but it flew wide of the near post.

Another magical strike by Chilvers saw the home team take the lead, as he turned and then rifled a low effort past the keeper down to his right.

After a trialist sent an effort wide, the visitors got back on level terms when a cross from the left went into the net.

Despite it being a perfectly-placed header, it was sadly an own goal by Clampin.

The hosts nearly took the lead again straight away but a fine strike by Dunne was touched on to his left-hand post by the Southend keeper.

After Weaire cut out a cross, the ball ran out to a Southend player who then pulled his shot wide of the far post.

The start of the second half was met by much heavier rain.

An early chance saw a trialist pull his effort wide and then, after another trialist was dispossessed, there was some superb defensive play by captain Weaire.

A Southend move down the right saw the cutback fired over the bar.

Clampin then linked with Poku down the left but a Southend player was hurriedly across to clear for a throw.

A trialist was replaced by another trialist and then, when the ball was played out to the left, keeper Callum Coulter comfortably held the shot.

A good piece of work down the right saw a pass on for Percy Kiangebeni to burst into the box, where he was fouled.

It was he who duly put away the resulting penalty down to the keeper’s left.

A trialist was booked for a last-ditch challenge but only a yellow as he was just inside his own half.

Dunne fed Poku, whose effort went over the bar, and, with the rain driving down again, the final whistle went.

Team: Callum Coulter, Percy Kiangebeni, Matt Weaire, Trialist (6), Ryan Clampin, Noah Chilvers, Louis Dunne, Trialists (7 and 9), Ollie Sims and Kwame Poku. Used sub: Trialist (17).