COLCHESTER United's under-18s have claimed a long-awaited first win of the Professional Development League Two season.

They secured a well-deserved 4-2 victory over Birmingham City, at Florence Park, writes BRIAN WALLER.

After seven months of toil and agony, Chris Llewellyn's side produced their maiden league win following an excellent team display.

Harvey Sayer was denied by Birmingham keeper Josh Bradley-Hurst early on, following a long solo run.

But Colchester took a fourth-minute lead through Tom Stagg, who touched home at the near post after Sayer and Sam Cornish had combined well on the left.

Bradley-Hurst denied Sayer again soon after before trialist Rhys Hilton doubled Colchester's lead after 11 minutes, firing home the rebound after Stagg had put defender Alfie Chang under pressure.

Hilton was then foiled by Bradley-Hurst and Stagg saw a shot flash just wide before also having a shot saved, as Colchester pushed for more goals.

The U's went two goals ahead at the break but after Stagg had shot over the bar, Birmingham pulled a goal back seven minutes after half-time.

After Cornish had lost out in possession, Jude Bellingham's shot was deflected away for a corner and from this, the back post header was then across goal and then put away from close range.

Birmingham duly upped their game but Colchester restored their two-goal advantage just before the hour mark through Sayer, who drove a low cross-shot back across into the far corner of the net after Stagg had robbed a defender.

Birmingham quickly looked for a route back into the game and Colchester keeper Chandler Hallett saved Nick Kinina’s shot down low to his left at his near post.

But at the other end, Bradley-Hurst denied Hilton again before Blues pulled another goal back, midway through the second half.

After breaking well down the right they saw an initial effort saved but the ball ran loose for Jude Bellingham to drive his shot into the net.

Bradley-Hurst saved from Stagg and Hilton before the U's wrapped up victory, with nine minutes remaining.

The goal came as Marley Miranda's mis-hit shot went straight to Stagg who drove his left-foot effort under Bradley-Hurst's dive and in.

Kinina lifted a shot over and then had a shot pushed away by Hallett but it was Colchester's day.

Colchester United: Hallett, Malilia, Armsworth, Storey, Cracknell (sub Thomas), Cornish, Kennedy, Miranda, Sayer, Hylton, Stagg. Subs (not used): Collins, Fouche, Parish, Akolbire.