SWINDON Town boss Richie Wellens revealed the area he deliberately tried to exploit after masterminding his side’s 3-0 win over Colchester United.

Wellens said afterwards that he felt the U’s have a tendency to concede too many opportunities to back-post deliveries.

And his tactics proved fruitful in the League Two encounter at the County Ground, particularly when their Ipswich Town loanee Luke Woolfenden headed the Robins’ second goal.

Swindon had already led through Canice Carroll’s strike less than two minutes earlier, with Kyle Bennett wrapping up their win for the play-off hopefuls in the second half.

Wellens said: “The reason I played two full-backs was because (Courtney) Senior is one of the best players in the division in terms of one-on-ones – but we’ve got Kyle Knoyle at right-back.

“We knew both (Colchester) full-backs were good going forward for them but they concede too many chances to crosses at the back post.

“Luke Woolfenden’s effort and execution to get to that ball was fantastic.

“We just changed things (before the first goal).

“I needed more energy from my outside midfielder in Canice (Carroll).

“I wanted him to get up the pitch, but also get into the other midfielder’s face and take the ball off of him.

“Jak (McCourt) went into the holding position because of his quality on the ball. It was good that we had four or five bodies in the box for the second goal.

“When it’s windy, you have to play diagonal balls. If you play straight, the ball just rolls out of play.”

There had been little to choose between the two teams prior to Carroll’s opener, with Colchester having the best chance through Brennan Dickenson’s low shot that flashed inches past the far post.

But Swindon’s two-goal burst just before half-time put them in charge, before they finished off the job in the second half.

Wellens added: “The way we grinded in the first half pleased me a lot, because it was poor at times.

“You’ve got to give Colchester a bit of credit, they play football in a way that can cause you problems.

“We were too direct (in the first half). Colchester in the first half were neat, tidy and everything stayed in.

“In the second half they went long, and balls went out – it was a game of two halves I suppose.

“The first goal came at the right time – most of the chances otherwise came to us.”