A LATE goal by first-year scholar Jake Hutchinson gave Colchester United's under-23s back-to-back wins in Professional Development League Two for the first time this season, writes BRIAN WALLER.

Hutchinson converted Dean Ager's cross at the back post just two minutes after coming on to seal the U's a 2-1 victory over third-placed QPR, at the JobServe Community Stadium.

Colchester, who fielded former Southampton full-back Richard Bakary again, saw goalkeeper Dillon Barnes did well to parry away Chay Tilt's fierce drive early on, while former U's loanee Olamide Shadipo saw a tremendous effort sail just over the bar.

However Rangers took the lead after 18 minutes through Amrit Bansal-McNulty, who got in down the right and sent a low drive past Barnes and into the far corner of the net.

Callum Jones came close to equalising for Colchester midway through the half when he stabbed just wide at the near post, following good link-up play between Ryan Clampin and Ollie Sims.

And Ager nearly scored again on the half hour when his swerving drive from the left edge of the box was saved by Rangers keeper Marcin Brzozowski.

Colchester pushed hard for an equaliser before half-time but at the other end, Shadipo had a shot blocked and centre-back Ali Omar volleyed over the bar, as Rangers went in at half-time ahead.

The visitors started the second half well, with substitute Dillon De Silva firing wide and Barnes denying Mickel Platt at his near post.

However, the U's were in the game with Ollie Sims and Louis Dunne both going close with his shots.

Rangers pressed for a second and Joe Felix's deflected effort flew away for a corner but Colchester equalised with 20 minutes remaining.

After Todd Miller was fouled in the box after attacking from the right, the referee pointed to the spot and Dunne confidently despatched the spot-kick.

QPR almost fought back immediately when a muddle in the home defence between keeper and defender saw De Silva's effort blocked by Barnes and Platt's follow-up headed clear by David Agboola.

But with five minutes to go, Hutchinson came on for Jones - and what an impact he was to make.

He netted their vital winner and the U’s saw out the remaining minutes to secure their fifth league win of the season.

Colchester: Barnes, Bakary, Agboola, Kensdale, Clampin, Miller, Dunne, Anderson, Sims (sub Hyde), Ager, Jones (sub Hutchinson). Subs (not used): Coulter, Charles, Forino.