IPSWICH Town suffered a fresh blow after crashing out of the FA Cup at League One side Accrington Stanley.

The Blues, rock bottom of the Championship, were eliminated after a 1-0 defeat at the Crown Ground.

It continued their dire form in the famous competition, with their last FA Cup victory being back in January 2010 when they defeated Blackpool 2-1 during Roy Keane’s tenure.

Since then they have played 13 games (including replays), without recording a victory.

Billy Kee scored the hosts' winner, heading home in the 76th minute after Sean McConville's free-kick was headed back across goal by Ben Richards-Everton.


Freddie Sears is denied by a second-half block at Accrington Stanley Picture: Pagepix

The hosts had dominated the first half, with Ipswich managing just two shots to Accrington's nine.

Goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski denied Sam Finley early on and also dived to keep out a strike from winger Jordan Clark.

The Polish stopper did well to prevent a Clark effort going into the bottom of the net after 39 minutes before Ipswich had their first real shot - a Freddie Sears effort that was safely collected by Connor Ripley.

The Reds should have taken the lead on the stroke of half-time but Clark's free header was inches wide of the post.

After the restart, Stanley almost gifted Town a goal with keeper Ripley scrambling back to stop a header from his own defender Richards-Everton crossing the line.

In a game of limited clear-cut chances, Middlesbrough loan stopper Ripley produced a superb save to keep out a powerfully-hit strike from Jon Nolan after 70 minutes.

Stanley then broke the deadlock, with Kee celebrating his ninth of the campaign, to pile more misery on Town boss Paul Lambert.

New signing Callum Elder made his Blues debut as Lambert made seven changes from the side that lost against Millwall on New Year's Day.

Bialkowski returned in goal with Elder, who joined on loan from Leicester earlier in the week, at left-back and former Accrington man Toto Nsiala making his first appearance under Lambert at the centre of the defence, alongside Matthew Pennington.

Jordan Spence continued at right-back.

Dean Gerken, Myles Kenlock and previously ever-present skipper Luke Chambers all dropped to the bench.

Andre Dozzell and Jon Nolan joined Flynn Downes in midfield with Kayden Jackson, who moved to Town from Stanley in the summer, the central striker. Sears was on the left and Gwion Edwards on the right.

Will Keane, who signed on loan from Hull on Friday, was among the subs.


Teddy Bishop is upended by Billy Kee Picture: Pagepix