Colchester United suffered a frustrating afternoon after they were held to a 0-0 draw against lowly Morecambe.

The U's were unable to find a breakthrough against a stubborn and well-organised Shrimps side, at the JobServe Community Stadium.

The closest Colchester came to breaking the deadlock was with four minutes remaining when Kane Vincent-Young's fine effort rattled a post.

Colchester head coach John McGreal made two changes to his side for their game against Morecambe.

Brandon Comley was recalled to the starting line-up and Vincent-Young also returned, as the U’s started with a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Harry Pell dropped out for only the second time in the league this season, while Tom Eastman also made way with the duo both on the bench.

Colchester found it difficult to create clearcut opportunities in a goal-less first half and lacked the creativity needed to make a breakthrough.

And when they did manage to get in behind a solid Morecambe defence, their final ball often lacked quality.

Chances were at a premium before half-time and Colchester attacker Frank Nouble was fortunate to not receive at least a booking for a strong challenge on Jordan Cranston near the halfway line, midway through the first half.

Morecambe defended well and in numbers, blocking many of the U’s attempts to cross or shoot in the final third.

Indeed, the visitors almost took the lead on the half hour when Rhys Oates fired wide from a good position after U’s keeper Gilmartin had only been able to parry away Cranston’s long-range effort.

Five minutes later, Morecambe full-back Luke Conlan made a fine challenge in the area to block Sammie Szmodics’ shot after a good interchange between Nouble and Vincent-Young had created the chance.

But the sides went in goal-less at the break and it was Morecambe who started the brighter in the second half.

Oates headed wide from a good position for the visitors after Alex Kenyon had headed Liam Mandeville’s corner into his path and Cranston’s long-range effort then flashed just over, as the Shrimps threatened.

But Colchester found a greater tempo after that and almost took the lead just before the hour when some fine skill by Vincent-Young eventually resulted in a low shot that Halstead had to push away for a corner.

Colchester made a double change with 17 minutes remaining, sending on Mikael Mandron and Harry Pell for Norris and Comley in a bid to force a winner.

Morecambe substitute Kevin Ellison’s low 25-yard drive sailed straight into Gilmartin’s arms with 11 minutes remaining and at the other end, Nouble headed over from a corner as both sides went in search of a winner.

Colchester came agonisingly close with four minutes to go when Vincent-Young's brilliant skill resulted in his fierce strike coming back off the inside of a post.

Mandron's effort flashed inches wide soon after for the U's but the spoils were shared.