FORMER Colchester United attacker Drey Wright has received support from his ex-U's team-mates after being ruled out for the rest of the season due to injury.

The 23-year-old, who joined Scottish Premiership club St Johnstone in the summer from the U's, will be sidelined for a number of months after suffering a serious knee injury.

Wright, who made nearly 150 first-team appearances for Colchester, suffered a damaged Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) in his side's goal-less draw with Kilmarnock.

The winger, who suffered two long-term injuries during his time at the Community Stadium will now be out for the remainder of the campaign.

U's joint leading scorer Sammie Szmodics tweeted his support for Wright today, saying: 'back stronger as ever'.

Wright underwent a knee operation back in October 2013 and suffered recurrence of his knee injury 12 months later, after suffering cruciate ligament damage in an under-21 game against Sheffield Wednesday.

However, he bounced back from those injuries for the U's to become a regular in John McGreal's starting line-up last season, clocking up 47 appearances in total.

Wright had made 20 appearances for St Johnstone, before suffering the injury last weekend.

St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright told the Scottish club's website: “Unfortunately, it’s hugely disappointing news.

"The injury swelled up over the past 48 hours and a scan has revealed a damaged ACL which will require an operation and will result in Drey missing the remainder of the campaign.

“Of course, the important thing is that he receives the best treatment available to get him back as soon as possible but there’s no doubt that it is hugely disappointing news for the player and the club.

"He’s made a real impact since joining us and he’s a player who has excited the supporters but as is the case in football we just have to deal with it and help him come back fitter and stronger.”

Drey's younger brother Diaz Wright has been featuring for Colchester's first team this season and started their 2-0 defeat at Newport County, earlier this month.

The 20-year-old was an unused substitute in the U's 1-0 win at Forest Green Rovers, last night.