COLCHESTER United's under-23s were put to the sword by a rampant Queens Park Rangers side after losing 6-2 in their Professional Development League Two game at Loftus Road, writes BRIAN WALLER.

The hosts had hit 17 goals in their previous six games and they proved too much for the U's, who despite a spirited second-half display were comprehensively beaten.

There was a sign of things to come after six minutes when Aramide Oteh hit a post for QPR.

And although Louis Dunne pulled a shot just wide for Colchester, the hosts then twice hit the woodwork through Chay Tilt and Sean Goss.

It was an unfortunate error midway through the first half that led to the start of the U’s downfall.

Gene Kennedy slipped when meeting goalkeeper Callum Coulter’s short goal-kick and Goss capitalised by firing into the net.

Colchester had their best chance of the half when Noah Chilvers was denied by a very good save by keeper Marcin Brzozowski.

But in a devastating spell of seven minutes, any U’s hopes of a success looked gone as the R’s scored three times.

Soon after Coulter had denied Osman Kakay with a superb save, Oteh made it 2-0 when he converted the rebound after Paul Smyth’s curling effort had rattled the far post.

A few minutes later, Tilt cut the ball back for Kakay to drive a shot into the net and it got even worse for Colchester when Smyth's shot flew under Coulter's dive.

It was a great relief for Colchester when half-time came and they produced a more determined second-half performance.

The U's pulled a goal back 11 minutes after the break through Todd Miller, who tucked his shot away following a superb pass by Chilvers from just inside the Rangers half.

And they further reduced the deficit on the hour mark when Chilvers fired into the corner of the net following Miller's pass from the edge of the box.

But Rangers made it 5-2 with 20 minutes remaining through Smyth, who found the far corner of the net following a tremendous run from midway inside his own half.

The R’s wrapped up their win with a minute to go through skipper Lewis Walker, who converted after good work by substitute Deshane Dalling on the left.

Colchester United under-23s: Coulter, Akolbire (sub Ager, 75), Forino, Agboola, Clampin, Kazeem, Kennedy, Chilvers, Dunne, McKeown (sub Charles, 75), Miller. Substitutes (not used): Hallett, Cracknell, Sims.